It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #1

Esabella16 HB User
Post Self esteem issues and Braces

Ok I had another appt for the orthodontist today...and as usual, it's gotten me way depressed. I've had braces for 2 years from october, and it just seems like there is no end. I used to like the way I looked before I got braces, and I liked my smile, but now I absolutely loathe what I look like, and I feel like every little imperfection is magnifyed 10 times. I have real self esteem issues now and my mind always starts to think about how much I hate who I am. It even interferes with my studying, because whenever I sit down to study for an exam I just start thinking about how bad I look. >_< My braces may be coming off in a couple of months, but I really don't want to ruin this upcoming semester in the meantime. I know I've just been ranting and there's nothing you people can do, but I need help somehow, somewhere!!

Old 08-02-2002, 11:00 PM   #2

princesa012 HB User
HI im 14 and i have braces too. im gonna try to help as much as possible. I know how you feel about self -esteem and how you look in braces and how you dont like the way u look and trust me neither do i but i really needed them because people would make fun of my teeth all the time. sure braces might not be the trendiest but tons of people have them and plus they help correct you bite and straighten your teeth they can even possibly lower the risk of heart disease. Once you get your braces off you will have straight beautiful teeth and i dont know about for you but for me that's somthing that is going to raise my self esteem a tad bit. once u get them off u wont have to worry about them no more and it really will all be worth it. i dont know if i helped much but i tried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #3

chica loca HB User
You might need them for other reasons than why your teeth look. Bite problems, and other issues in your jaw that might need to be corrected.

I had braces for nearly two years. Head and neck gear apparatuses for four previous years(mostly that long b/c I didn't wear them when I needed to)

Braces are hard to deal with at times. They look weird, they often feel uncomfortable, and it's hard to deal with these things when you're a teen. Many of us who have had them know how that feels too.

But you will get through it. You've got most of it behind you already. I think you'll find when they do come off, your teeth will look just fine and will probably be healthier and more insured of a long, healthy life. And it's probably better for your jaw bones too.

And if you get a retainer, remember to wear it when they tell you too. I learned that one the hard way, so I'll pass that information along.

Old 10-06-2002, 03:29 PM   #4

JeffreyJay HB User
Hey now, don't sweat it. I had braces for 5 years, never went to my appointments, and I had more dates then, then I do now without my braces. I can't tell you why, but when I had my braces i worried about the braces, instead of my other flaws. You choose what makes you desirable.

Old 10-06-2002, 04:58 PM   #5

*Cat* HB User
Hi

I completely know how you feel. Having braces at that age is tough, and I went through it myself. But, Chica Loca is right, they help with more than just a straight set of teeth! I am really glad that I had braces now(I'm 24), even though the braces annoyed me at your age!

Teenage years are tough, with or without the braces. Try to think of the positives(I know, easier said than done!), involve yourself with things you enjoy....be it clubs, sports or friends. It really does help! Maybe keep a journal, I know for me that has always been my release of pain and confusion!

Hugs, You will get through this, I promise!!

Cat

Old 10-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #6

*Cat* HB User
I should say, I assumed you were in h.s....I re-read your post and you didn't say that. But, everything I said still applies no matter what your age!

Hugs

cat

Old 11-30-2002, 07:46 PM   #7

TifaStrife16 HB User
Hey this is Esabella, and just an update - I got my braces off a week ago and you guys were right, it really does feel great to have nice straight teeth! I still don't know if it was worth the years of pain, but I'm definately happier now! Thanks for the encouragement, guys ^_^

Oh and to Jeffrey, you are completely correct. You really do choose what you focus on. Now that I have my braces off, I focus on my complexion problems >.> It's always one thing or another!!

Closed Thread