It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #1
maz

Post Nitrous oxide vs iv sedation

Hi

I had my treatment plan through from the dentists today and the cost seemed very high. I think this is partly because i have opted for iv sedation because of my phobia. I know they also use nitrous oxide which is cheaper, does anyone have any experience in having extractions using this method? and how did it make you feel?.

Thanks alot

------------------
Maz

Old 01-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #2

msween HB User
Maz,

I found this article on one guy's experience with nitrous oxide that you might find to be informative. I have never had nitrous myself so I cannot say whether the article is truthful in it's experience or not.
[url="http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/nitrous.dentist.html"]http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/nitrous.dentist.html[/url]

I hope that this helps you out in some way though

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #3

pinkcat HB User
hello maz,

i haven't had extractions with nitrous but did go to a dentist who used it during my appts. and I did have it administered quite often because that's how this dentist ran his practice. i've had extractions and i always insist on IV sedation. the dentist turned the nitrous up to the highest levels and i was still awake but was too high to notice when he used the drill and i didn't hear the sound of the drill because he gave patients headphones with music. you are still awake with nitrous oxide and still aware but it's like you are unable to respond until after the procedure is over. it's like being in slow motion or something. it's like a delayed reaction from the patient (by the time you realize what they did it's over). i felt no pain but the dentist was only doing routine work (drill and crowns). hope this helps. pinkcat

[This message has been edited by pinkcat (edited 01-10-2003).]

Old 01-10-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
maz

Thanks Msween and pink,

i read the article about the guy's experience and i must say i am seriously thinking about having the nitrous now. The only thing is even if i felt totally relaxed i don't know if i could cope with the noise/smell etc but i suppose i could wear headphones for the noise. The one big problem i have with being sedated is that i am scared they might take the wrong teeth and i won't know until it's too late, i know how stupid thid sounds but i have had 2 dentists let me down in the past and i have a real problem with trust. On the other hand though i i don't have some form of sedation then i won't even make it to the office. I have my appointment with the oral surgeon next friday and i am counting the hours down now and there's still a week to go!. I have got to get sorted now though because this had been going on for 15 mths and i have lost count of the amount of antibiotics i have taken.

Thanks again

------------------
Maz

Old 01-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #5

pinkcat HB User
hi maz, before they sedate you (if you have IV sedation) you can review with them the teeth they intend on pulling. there is no way they will pull the wrong teeth unless they are using nitrous themselves!! how much more is it to get IV sedation? hope you are okay. pinkcat

Old 01-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
maz

Hi Pink

I am not sure how much less the nitrous is at the moment but i have a appointment on Monday to discuss matters so i will find out then.

------------------
Maz

Old 01-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I love getting nitrous (when the dentist turns it up high enough, that is,... many of them just let it trickle and that barely touches me).

I'm the same as you,...there's a difference between being relaxed enough to let go, and relaxed but still nervous. I was fine with the nitrous, and you can still control it by just breathing deeper when you want it, and breathing shallower when you want to. So that makes it less scary because you're in more control.

I can't see a dentist w/o nitrous.

I've never had "conscious sedation" but I'm afraid it won't work.

I HAVE had IV Sedation for extractions and didn't have any problems.

Closed Thread