It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
(male)

ceetee7 HB User
tingling after root canal

Ever since the root canal work on a top incisor 3 weeks ago I've had sensitive teeth. Random needling/tingling pains mostly in the top front teeth and sometimes other teeth. It's been 3 weeks since the first operation (of 3) so I'm getting depressed that I'll have this for the rest of my life.

Does anybody know what is happening or if there's a cure? Would an extraction be likely to clear it up? Thanks.

Last edited by ceetee7; 11-22-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Re: tingling after root canal

It could just be refferred pain. My root canal was done in 2 appointments 2 weeks apart. I was sore for the 2 weeks between appointments because I found the temporary filling to be VERY uncomfortable. Referred pain is when one tooth hurts and you have sensations in other teeth as well. If that is the case, it should go away as your tooth starts to heal. Root canal is a long process. After mine was all finished it took about 4 weeks for the tooth to completely calm down and I had tingling in other teeth as fell for a little while. I wouldn't worry too much, you still have a little way to go before you're all finished. Remember that root canal is a long process and everyone's body heals at different rates. You can always call your dentist if you are really worried. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon and that the rest of your treatment goes well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I would call your dentist and have him xray it to make sure he got all of the root out. You shouldn't have any pain in that tooth if he did get it all.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
(male)

ceetee7 HB User

Thanks Tatoo Girl for the information about referred pain, it's some comfort to hear I'm not alone in experiencing it. I've had all three operations now 1 week apart. Well it's going to be four now because the abscess flared up and he's going to tackle the infection from the top. Never rains..

Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Good luck ceetee! I had my tooth checked last week when I was in for cleaning and he told me that everything is fine. The tooth has been a little uncomfortable but he said often patients experience discomfort because once a tooth has a root canal it becomes very dry and brittle because there is nothing left inside the tooth to feed it and that often patients find this gets better once the crown is placed. Have you asked your dentist about some medication you can take for the abcess?

Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
(male)

ceetee7 HB User

Almost a month from the first operation, most of the needles and pins in my other teeth have gone now and I was looking forward to the home straight. But now I've developed back ache from contracting muscles. Has anybody had this, does it go away?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

daffy93 HB User

Does everybody need to have root canal? I haven't got one yet.

daffy93

Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
(male)

ceetee7 HB User

No, and I suspect I didn't. I had a temperature sensitive tooth which by the time I returned to see the x-rays had recovered. The dentist persuaded me it would inevitably come back because there was a small abscess (could only feel it if he pressed hard on the gum) proving the core was rotten. I wish I had just listened to my body and not let the dentist interfere.

Just seen the dentist again and he said it's impossible for my backache and teeth to be connected. I dunno.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

I've never heard of a backache being teeth connected. Sounds to me like your dentist is trying to rake in some extra cash for Christmas. Not everyone is going to need a root canal in their life time. They are only needed when a tooth becomes so infected that the decay goes into the pulp (the part of the tooth below the gum line) You would be able to see that on an x-ray. Maybe you should get a second opinion Ceetee. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

All the symptoms that you've described since first posting are normal. I have a had a few root canals plus the back/neck ache. It can take weeks for everything to settle down. Give it some more time. 600mg. of Ibuprofen helps. Try icing your back and even your jaw. Take hot baths. Destress. That helps the nerves heal.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
(male)

ceetee7 HB User

Update almost 4 months on from the root canal operation .

After a few weeks the backache and sundry cramps did improve. But it was then replaced by sensitive (hot) skin across most of my body at one time or another. This is phantom pain generated by the brain as I suspect the muscle pain is too. Now I've got tinnitus too.

So at the moment I'm left with teeth aches, muscular cramps and sensitive skin taking it in turns. The dentist and doctor have said it's anatomically impossible for the dental work to have triggered such a collapse in my nervous system, but it obviously did and I wrote it down to remind myself.

This post really isn't a question, because judging from my reading of this forum it's a one in a million occurrence that other folk and dentists haven't come across. Just a reminder to readers to consider operations carefully.

I bitterly regret not deferring a decision on the root canal operation until I was sure that the infection in my front incisor really was going to be recurring as the dentist said. At the time of the operation my teeth felt hunky dory.

My last hope of recovering my health is having the tooth extracted. A more natural event might lead to my brain becoming unconfused. I'm just guessing of course and only give it a 5% chance but hell what have I got to lose.

Anyway that's how it is.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #12

Lucine HB User

Did the dentist every prescribe antibiotics for possible infection? When I had root canal I had pain in the other teeth as well. When the cap was put on it was less sensitive but I still had problems there. After a couple of weeks of this he put me on antibiotics for a week. If that didn't take care of it he said the only thing for him to do would be to go in and go deeper (no thanks!). Well, after a few weeks it was better. It's been a couple of months and I still have trouble chewing on that side because it still has sensitivity. I'm hoping it will heal over more time. I hope you are feeling relief soon.

Closed Thread