It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2003, 07:14 PM   #1

terri48 HB User
Post Small Lump On Gum By Crown, Help Please

I have a root canaled molar n lower right. The gum looked a little swollen for a week, but didn't bother me. At times it hurt a little when useing water pik. But today when I woke up and brushed my teeth it hurt so I looked.

There was a small bump on the outside. Scared it was an abscess, I called the dentist. Mine was off so i went to someone new. He tooka periapical x-ray and saw no abscess, said it is probably impacted food. He scraped under it which really hurt depsite topical. The bump is still there, he said it would take 3 days or so to go down and to use salt water and not eat on that side.

Has anyone ever had this? If so, please tell me if this will heal, if the bump goes away. From that scraping, it is sore now and I an scared something is wrong. I have no signs of abscess like pain when biting down, but he said somethimes the root is cracked and they can't see this on an x ray. My mind is racing, I have terrible fear of toothaches and dental work. Any words would be appreciated if you have heard of gum swelling from food impaction. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #2

Lisasv1 HB User
Don't ignore the possibility of an abcess. Sometimes they take awhile to affect the bone and so it wouldnt show up well on an xray.
I'd wait a little longer and then have your dentist take another xray if you're still having problems with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
(male)

Catoo HB User
Re: Small Lump On Gum By Crown, Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri48 View Post
I have a root canaled molar n lower right. The gum looked a little swollen for a week, but didn't bother me. At times it hurt a little when useing water pik. But today when I woke up and brushed my teeth it hurt so I looked.

There was a small bump on the outside. Scared it was an abscess, I called the dentist. Mine was off so i went to someone new. He tooka periapical x-ray and saw no abscess, said it is probably impacted food. He scraped under it which really hurt depsite topical. The bump is still there, he said it would take 3 days or so to go down and to use salt water and not eat on that side.

Has anyone ever had this? If so, please tell me if this will heal, if the bump goes away. From that scraping, it is sore now and I an scared something is wrong. I have no signs of abscess like pain when biting down, but he said somethimes the root is cracked and they can't see this on an x ray. My mind is racing, I have terrible fear of toothaches and dental work. Any words would be appreciated if you have heard of gum swelling from food impaction. Thank you.
Hi, I have a similar problem and therefore I checked the internet. I found your post is helpful to me. Therefore I would like to share my story with to see if we can help each other.
Years ago, I broke one of my top molar when I chew a hard object. This cracked the top surface of the tooth. About 2 year ago, my Columbia dentist repaired the crack by filling the crack. My tooth could not chew tough food and I felt hurting at the root the tooth. The tooth started to sensitive to hot or cold food/drink. My Columbia dentist told me that because the root of the tooth is close to the bottom of the skull. Therefore when the crack was filled, the tooth became longer, resulting the root of the tooth hitting the skull. It ended up with all fillings were removed. The thing became worth, when I chew tough food, occasionally it cause sharp pain like electric shock.
About 9 month ago, after I moved to TN, one night I got sharp pain on the tooth, and I could not lay down on the bed at night. My TN dentist said that the bacteria had invaded the nerve in the tooth. He gave me 3 options. The first is new crown; (2) root cannel with new crown; or (3) remove the tooth install implant.
The TN dentist only put the new crown on my tooth because he said the crack was not deep and no root cannel was needed. The following is real part that related to your topic.
When the crown was installed, I got a hump on the gum at the inside of the tooth. The hump stayed there for 2 weeks. It drained and humped again, repeated many time. Antibiotics would not help. Finally I figured there was food trapped in the gap between the problem tooth and the neighboring health tooth. After I frosted a few times a day, my gum was healed. A couple weeks later, I started to use the problem tooth usual. This resulted pain at the root of the problem tooth. My gum started to swell, outside the tooth (between tooth and lip.). And a hump followed by draining. The x-ray show dark shadow surrounding the root. According to this the TN dentist said it was a abscess. But the pain was gone and swelling was reducing. I refused the root cannel operation. My tooth was peaceful for more than one month. I thought everything was fine. I event stopped daily frosting. I got a hump at inside of the tooth about 3 weeks age. It drained and raised repeatedly several time, but there was no pain. After about 2 weeks, it healed (I frost the tooth daily). The one week ago, another hump came up at the outside of the tooth. And it drained. I visited a SC dentist during my traveling. She said there was a light shadow surrounding the root. She said it was abscess. She said the nerve was dead. That was the reason I had no pain. Either root cannel or remove the tooth.
I think there was no chance for the nerve to become dead. Before the new crown was installed, I had tooth pain. After the crown was installed I had light pain only once. I think there is no change for the nerve to die.
I think if the trapped food would cause a hump on gum, the newly installed crown at the conjunction point between the crow and tooth root could create irritation to cause a hump on the gum. That is why I decide to wait and see.

Closed Thread