It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #1

Bonz HB User
Post Gum problems after tough root canal

I had a root canal a while back. It was a little more difficult than usual, but was finally finished (except for the crown.)

But after that, I had severe pain inbetween that tooth and the tooth next to it. The dentist said it was because there was so much work under the gum line, that it was sensitive. He burned off part of the gum and said hopefully that would take care of the problem, if not, I'd need gum surgery.

For 3 weeks, it was great. I could eat there again, no pain. Then the pain returned. (But this time, as long as I don't eat there, it doesn't hurt, which is better than before he did the first procedure.) I went back to the dentist today and he says he has to do gum surgery (after taking antibiotics first) and that the gum looks worse. *sigh*

Anyone every have a situation like this before? I'm a nervous wreck about this gum surgery and more than that, worried that it won't work.

Old 03-17-2003, 05:18 AM   #2

clprez HB User
Maybe get a 2nd opinion from another dentist?

Ask some people at work if they like their dentist. People aren't likely to give recommendations unless they really like him/her.

I have 10 crowns, and have only once had a a problem. When I did, my doctor made another impression, put the temporary crown back on, and we waited for another crown. I just wouldn't keep having a dentist do bad work. It's kinda like getting a bad haircut, and going back to the same stylist 2 or 3 times trying to get your hair to look good, but it ends up a mess.

One time I had another dentist burn a piece of the gumline off, but that was because it was a really old crown (22 years), and I had a cavity under the margin.

Just my opinion.

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread