It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #1

JellyBean420 HB User
have dentures but want implants!!

I have had full dentures for approx. 2 yrs now. I'm always having to use glue to keep them stable and it's becoming difficult to eat. I want implants but am afraid I want be able to afford them. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the costs? Are mini-implants as reliable as "regular" implants and are they more economical?

Any info you can share will be sincerely appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: have dentures but want implants!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean420
I have had full dentures for approx. 2 yrs now. I'm always having to use glue to keep them stable and it's becoming difficult to eat. I want implants but am afraid I want be able to afford them. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the costs? Are mini-implants as reliable as "regular" implants and are they more economical?

Any info you can share will be sincerely appreciated!
It seriously depends on where you live. Implants in my area in Ohio like the ones I have are almost unheard of. I cannot even find a Prosthodontist locally who can care for me. My Doctor's are Prosthodontic Intermedica in Fort Washington,PA. I drove 12 hours to get to them.

You can start with just two implants for your lower denture that can be fitted with a snap contraption that will snap onto the implants. That wouldn't be as expensive as what I have. I have 8 implants on top and 6 on the bottom. I have what my Doctor calls a prosthesis. This is a whole unit that is screwed onto the implants with gold screws. I cannot remove it and only a Doctor who knows what they are doing can help me. I thought I had found a local Doctor but I asked them at PI and they said no that this man does not know anything about the kind of prosthesis I have. They said they would help me find someone.

If you want implants you can get a loan and then at the end of the year you can do a tax write off. Insurance most generally doesn't cover implants.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

A full mouth of implants, with no real teeth remaining, costs about $36,000.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #4

JellyBean420 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene

$36,000 is way out of my budget. Guess I will look into implant supported dentures. Hopefully they will be more in my price range.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

birdi123 HB User

I depends on your bone or lack of! My husband had to have grafting done before implants and it was between 5-6k

Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene View Post
This is called a roundhouse and it is not necessary unless your are like, a celebrity!!!

Overdentures are the process of hooking on your dentures to the implants. Some places can 2 and 2 implants (top and bottom) so your dentures can hook on to. I recommend at least 4 and 4 for security (I'm not a dentist but I was literally born and raised in a dental office). I would recommend going to the dentist who made your denture and ask for implant to hold your dentures in place. Going to a new doctor may require you to get a new set of dentures with them since the money is there when you get the full service with them. The establishment I did the marketing for charges $395 for each implant (not including post or crown not included).

You also would need to qualify for an implant. Like someone mentioned, you must have bone or you will require a bone grafting!!! When a tooth is missing for a long time, you inevitably lose the bone in your jaw. The bone serves as a way to anchor the implant down so that the implant doesn't fail. With a consultation, the doctor should be able to tell you if you have enough bone or will need a grafting (which you most likely when since you have already been using dentures).

Implants are not the fairytale solution many think they are, but they're definitely the most permanent solution out there, ESPECIALLY if you have dentures!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Angry Re: have dentures but want implants!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly fry View Post
This is called a roundhouse and it is not necessary unless your are like, a celebrity!!!

Overdentures are the process of hooking on your dentures to the implants. Some places can 2 and 2 implants (top and bottom) so your dentures can hook on to. I recommend at least 4 and 4 for security (I'm not a dentist but I was literally born and raised in a dental office). I would recommend going to the dentist who made your denture and ask for implant to hold your dentures in place. Going to a new doctor may require you to get a new set of dentures with them since the money is there when you get the full service with them. The establishment I did the marketing for charges $395 for each implant (not including post or crown not included).

**are you speaking of the $32,000 rig my husband has?**

You also would need to qualify for an implant. Like someone mentioned, you must have bone or you will require a bone grafting!!! When a tooth is missing for a long time, you inevitably lose the bone in your jaw. The bone serves as a way to anchor the implant down so that the implant doesn't fail. With a consultation, the doctor should be able to tell you if you have enough bone or will need a grafting (which you most likely when since you have already been using dentures).

***qualify? I cannot IMAGINE a dentist saying, "nah; wouldnt work with you." For That kind of money?? Every dentist and his dog say they can do them but speaking from experience I'd go to an oral surgeon or forget it. My husband's break off right onto his dinner plate. And I mean biting off a piece of pizza. BACK to the dentist he goes, again,
to have a tooth "made." A friend of ours had to have hers completely re-done. I wouldn't call them a Nightmare. But if you grind your teeth like my H does, they're a pain.***

Implants are not the fairytale solution many think they are, but they're definitely the most permanent solution out there, ESPECIALLY if you have dentures!

**Right. They're no fairytale solution. Best suggestions from me would be to only go to a dentist who does these ALL THE TIME. This kind of dentist will have the correct TOOLS both to remove them and to re-do the problems. We moved. Dentist #1 did not have a certain tool he needed, sent him to dentist #2 who Did have it, but did not have another tool he needed. It's madness. And you go around for a week or two with NO teeth while a "lab" is making replacements. Forever. Permanently.***

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
(female)

dominick913 HB User

i am in the process right now of getting implants for top and bottom. I only need two on the bottom and 6 on the top. It is generally about $1500 per implant I had to get all of my teeth pulled and have healing dentures until I am ready for the implants and the total for everything is $18900. It may seem like alot but i do not think I could have my teeth come out and want to be able to eat whatever I want! It would probably be much cheaper for you since you already have dentures!

Best of luck,

Amanda

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
(female)

sb29 HB User

I am in the same situation. I have had my full upper denture for a year now and although I am satisfied with its appearance, there have been many instances when they've slipped when I've been talking. I've been told the roof of my mouth is pretty flat, and I have to paste them in the morning then re-paste them in the middle of the day. All in all it's a pain in the butt. So I am doing research on the cost of implants. I have been to two all-in-one implant centers in my area (they do the exams, surgery, place the implants, do the labwork, etc. all in the same building) for consultations, and the quote they gave me for a full upper arch supported by four implants is $18,000. Very pricey, but if I can get financed, to me it will be worth it to talk and eat without worrying about my denture moving around or slipping. Also, since I got my dentures, my already fragile self-esteem has plummeted even more. I feel like crap for having a denture, though I suspect my problems are mostly due to genetics, as both my parents, my brother and my sister -- who are close in age -- all have upper dentures as well.

Good luck with everything, and let me know how much money you've been quoted for implant procedures.

Closed Thread