It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

greenapple HB User
Post decay at gum line

at my last dental exam the dentist found three small cavities near the gum line. he wants to fill these with a standard filling but a friend has told me that there is a better method where they paint something over the cavity instead in order to prevent irritation of the root. i have some gum recession but no gingivitis - apparently i brush too hard. does anyone know what is the current best practice for these type of cavities. cheers

Old 04-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #2

jdream HB User
The filling is the way to go. Your dentist will probably use tooth colored filling so you won't be able to see it. Also then you will be wearing down the filling instead of more of your root surface which can lead to more problems down the road.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

That's interesting. You said "small" cavities. It depends on how small they are. Some small cavities can be encouraged to heal themselves if they are not deep enough. I read this on the internet in a couple of places.

I would think a good dentist would be able to evaluate whether you would need a filling. I think it always pays to ask around, and get a number of different opinions. I was surprised when I recently learned that cavities can heal themselves, in some cases. I really had no idea. I used to think once you got a cavity, that was it. But apparently not.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:11 AM   #4

chica loca HB User
Often when gums recede, the enamal part of the root that gets exposed can be prone to decay, and it's more worrisome in the sense that those cavities often have quicker acess to the root canals which might lead to a root canal down the road.

I would think they would clean out the cavity and then fill them with composite filling material. The dentist might help you come up with a plan with your brushing if it is harming your gums.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:15 AM   #5
(female)

greenapple HB User
Smile

Thanks for all your replies. They have been very helpful.

Closed Thread