It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2002, 01:52 PM   #1

clouda HB User
Post osteomyelitis? fallllea or anyone, please!

After reading what fallllea went through, I am beginning to wonder if I have the same thing.

Last year I had my #3 tooth extracted. It was a difficult extraction and took over two hours. Two days later I had the worst pain. When I saw my dentist he said it was dry socket, but I am not so sure. For 4 weeks he used a curette to scrape the socket(4 times),packed it with antibiotics, and I was on oral antibiotics. Twice, he tried to drill the bone to start a new blood clot. After reading about dry socket I have not come across this kind of treatment.

Three months ago, just as I was about to get my bridge, my #4 tooth broke in half. It had been root canaled. The next day I started having pain and was put on an antibiotic. It helped for a few days, but the pain came back worst then before. Soon my whole mouth hurt. The tooth was pulled in the middle of June, but the pain did not go away. I was put on Cleocin two times. Each time it would get alittle better, but then come back. Then my #2 tooth started to hurt. At the end of July, I saw an oral surgeon. He opened up the socket and said I had alot of dead bone and tissue. He cleaned it out and it felt alot better for a few days. Ten days later, while on vacation, the pain and swelling came back. I saw an MD. He said I had an abscess near my #2 tooth, and he put me on 20 days of penicillin to get me through my vacation. Today is my 18th day on penicillin. The pain has lessened quite a bit, but is still there. My #5 tooth is also getting tender. I feel like the penicillin is just holding the infection. Could this be osteomyelitis? I see my dentist and MD on Thursday. What should I ask them? Thanks. Sorry so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #2

lorrib HB User
Yes ask! and if he is unsure ask for a bone scan to see how much damage to the jaw bone there has been. this is an oral surgeons job not a dentist. This has been going on way to long.

Old 08-28-2002, 04:57 AM   #3

Christie HB User
Hi

YOu can ask about osteomyelitis but having a test done now won't show anything. That is the problem i had.

I went through too many things to list here but i learned a lot.

First of all, if you did have a bone infection, they could never culture it now and find out which bacteria is causing it, because you've been on so many antibiotics.

Second, anything where the bone is scraped, or an extraction will give a positive result on the Nuclear Bone Scan. The bone scan shows changes in the bone...so it could be infection or a tumour.It can't usually distinguish between the two.

So if an oral surgeon was just in the area scraping the bone and cleaning up the area it would show changes in the area for more than 8 weeks or longer.

To get the bone scan you would have to wait til nothing invasive like that was done.

And bone scans are only as good as the people who read them. I believe you can have a bone infection that is missed because the person reading the scan didn't know how to interpret the changes properly.

Then also, I had my scan after having IV antibiotics for less than 3 weeks. I have since read the antibiotics i took don't necessarily kill the infection, but they could mask it making it not show at the time of the test. You can also get funguses and other things which antibiotics won't touch. So without culturing the site, who knows what you could have.

That is why they usually don't test for all these things....they think it's uncommon. I dont' think it is. I know many people with pain, including me who were previously fine before root canals, extractions, etc. I had bone chips scraped off my bone, with my gum cut open with a metal grater like tool. Most pain is nerve damage, not bone infection, so if the bone infection scan comes up negative start checking into nerve damage which is becoming so common it is alarming.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:17 AM   #4

fallllea HB User
Christie-my scan was so bad I had no trouble reading it.The oral surgeon used it to show where the bone was going to be removed.I had no gum tissue left.It literally " Lit up like a Christmas tree " ,but I was in the late stages and near death. Clouda-Get checked immediately.You sound almost like me .If you have pain-(something Is WRONG )My pain could not be pinpointed and would go from tooth to tooth.Plus there are WAY TOO MANY WAYS to re-treat a tooth before they give up and pull.This went on for over 3 yrs and NONE of the oral anti-botics help.YOU need home IV for at least 4 weeks and 6 would be good.The orals are deceptive.They back the infection off for days or weeks then it comes back and spreads a little more.You have to have the infected bone tissue removed to STOP the spreading.If it was not a rapid mover then I don't think there would be any need for an infectious disease team ( Except maybe for weight loss ). I guess I mean rapid for bone infection because it spreads in small areas over years.I think they were there because I looked so bad ,they thought I had AIDS. After tissue is removed , you are on IV meds.Then you have to be checked and re-checked and some touch-up bone tissue removal.In my opinion if you keep having pain,something is wrong.If you can,beg your MD to test for this AND INCLUDE NUKE SCAN.You may have to fight with insurance,but this is considered a medical problem and not a dental .Hurry Please and let me know.The more personal knowledge on this that is fed to the boards,the better.Best to all,Randy

Old 09-04-2002, 02:35 PM   #5

clouda HB User
Question

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Last Thursday I saw my denist. When I mentioned a bone infection she didn't know what I was talking about. She refered me to an endodontist to check out my teeth on both sides of the socket.

Yesterday I saw the endodontist. She said my teeth are fine. I asked her about a bone infection and she said my socket looked like it was healing and she saw nothing on the xrays.

Today, back to the oral surgeon. When he poked at the socket it was very painful. He said he would have to open it up. I asked about a bone infection. He said that you rarely get it in an upper jaw and my xray(from July) didn't show anything. When he opened it up he removed more bone and dead tissue. He said he sees this sometimes and doesn't know why it happens. I go back next week.

My MD appointment is next week. I will ask her for a gallium scan.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Is there a name for this, besides osteomyelitis? Thanks

Old 09-06-2002, 06:43 AM   #6

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
This definitly sounds like osteomylitis(bone infection) to me, if you have dead bone and tissue! This is the same thing that my daughter is being treated for and Randy(faillea) has been through. As Randy has stated several times in his posts, and I have also found to be true, it canNOT be detected by x-rays alone. A bone scan must be done to show what areas are infected. Oral anitibiotics aren't strong enough to fight a bone infection. An IV drip(PICC-line) is required for 4-6 weeks and the proper antibiotic is determined by infectious disease dr. By just going in and scraping(debridment) the dead bone and tissue without the proper IV antibiotic and treatment required, the bone will continue to die and infection spread and prolong this disease. I am by no means an expert on this, but I have learned alot in a short period of time, from my daughters experience with it. I just wish there was a way for all the oral surgeons and MD's out there to be better educated on osteomylitis so that their patients didn't have to go through so much pain and suffering and damage. I pray your MD gets you the proper treatment necessary for this. Luckily, ours did! Keep us posted..good luck!

Old 09-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Clouda,
Trust me dear,Osteomylitis is something you neither want or want to mess with...It will cause you SEVERE non-stop pain...Even though Ive not had it in my face(that I know of)Ive had it in 2 Disc spaces in my Spine...Ya know that may be whats causing me severe pain in my face..Im glad I read this post...

Thanks,
Jassy

Old 09-15-2002, 12:41 AM   #8

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Hey clouda, hows it goin? Did you make it to your MD's? Did you find anythng out? I hope everything is going well for you. Let us know how you are doing...Cindy

Old 09-18-2002, 08:15 AM   #9

clouda HB User
Cindy
Thanks for asking. I cancelled my MD appointment because I saw the oral surgeon the same day and he insisted again to me that it is not osteomyelitis. It has been two weeks since he opened it up. It still does not feel better. My whole mouth aches and is so sore. I feel like all my teeth are going bad. He said to give it two more weeks and see if it gets better. He said he was so aggressive last time he scraped the socket, there can't be anything in there.

I have an appointment next week with my MD. I just have a hard time being assertive. I will be, I know this can't be normal.

I hope Wendy is doing better!

Old 10-03-2002, 01:55 PM   #10

clouda HB User
I saw my MD today. She looked at my mouth, and I told her everything. She said right away, she thinks it is osteomyelitis.(I didn't even mention the word) She called an infectious disease doctor that she works with, to discuss what to do. I am having a CT Scan done next week, as well as a full blood work-up. She told me that she couldn't believe it had gone on this long, and it was time to do something about it. She also said I would most likely need IV antibiotics and more surgery. She has an oral surgeon that she wants to use.

I feel so relieved that some action is finally being taken. Thanks to Randy and Wendy's mom, more people are becoming more aware of this painful desease.

Old 10-03-2002, 02:55 PM   #11

Subie HB User
Hi Clouda,
I'm so glad you went to your MD and are finally getting the treatment you need and deserve. Good luck next week!

Old 10-03-2002, 06:58 PM   #12

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Dear Clouda, I am so glad you finally went to your MD. It seems they are the only ones who recognize how serious a bone infection is. It's really to bad that the oral surgeons and other dental professionals can't see it for what it is, a serious and painful disease. Maybe they all know, but just can't admit or want to take on the responsibility, that it may have been caused by something they did or didn't do in treating their patient. It needs to be treated as quickly as possible with the combination of IV antibiotics and debridments(bone scraping). It is a long, drawn out process. Wendy has been on the IV antibiotics for 5 weeks now. She has had 3 debridments on the lower left jaw, and the dr. said he will probably have to do one on the lower right also. She still has constant pain, although not as severe as it was before. She still has a long way to go yet and is REALLY getting tired of this whole ordeal interfering with her life. She just falls asleep, and before you know it, it's time to get up and do the IV meds again. She's really getting cranky, you know how teens are when they don't get enough sleep!! I wish you all the best and pray for your speedy recovery from this. Let us know how everything is going. Cindy

Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 PM   #13

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Hi Clouda, How are you doing? Have you started your IV treatment yet? Wendy has been on it for 6 weeks now, and the dr. told us she would need it for another 3 weeks yet. Things are finally looking better for her. I hope all is well with you. Cindy

Old 10-24-2002, 09:55 PM   #14

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Dear Osteo., I'm glad to hear you have finally found the sources to acheive your recovery from this devastating disease. I'm very sorry to hear that you aren't getting any releif from your pain, though. My daughter, Wendy, has been on the home IV's for 8 weeks now, and has one more week to go. She too was in excruciating pain, until her last debridment( she's had 3 in all) She was on Clindamyacin 900mg every 8 hours, and still in pain. Then they did the 3rd surgery and added Ceftriaxone once a day, and within a week, was no longer needing pain meds. It's a long hard road to recovery. My prayers are with you and I will keep posting on Wendy's progress. Keep us informed on yours also. I agree that the more information shared will benefit many people. Cindy

Old 10-25-2002, 04:44 AM   #15

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
I forgot to mention that I had not heard of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, but I will be asking Wendy's doctor about it on her next visit. Thanks

Closed Thread