It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #1

pbear8 HB User
Post My tooth broke...now my filling (mercury) is exposed...Is this safe?

Last night part of my tooth broke off exposing an old filling I had (mercury). I probably won't be able to get to the dentist for another couple of days.

I can taste a metallic taste in my mouth, but other than than should I be worried about 'mercury poisoning' in this short space of time?

I'm starting to get paranoid......

Is there anything I can do to safely plug it up until I get to the dentist?

Thanks very much

Old 01-15-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran

thisstarr HB User
Exclamation

Hi pbear,

It is very dangerous it is is exposed, there is another post on here about mercury poisoning, I will bring it back to the top. I dont mean to scare you but you should be ok, it has only be a day or so, just try to get in to see your dentist asap. I was unaware how bad and dangerous having mercury in you body can do you. I suffer from TMJ and someone told me the fillings in my mouth could be what is making my headaches worse, I saw a post on here a few weeks ago and someone explain to me how bad it is and what it did to them! I had a broken off filling for 2 years in my mouth and had no idea it was bad, I ended up getting the tooth pulled because it cracked all the way down. The sooner you get to the dentist the better dont wait as long as me!

The stuff to by over the counter I used for years it is called Temparin Temperary filling material, you can buy it at Wal-mart or Save-on Drugs. Make sure you clean the tooth area real good before putting the stuff in you dont want any germs in there to get you an infection.

I will post the post on here for you again.

take care,

Starr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #3

pbear8 HB User
Thank you very much for your responses and your concern. I will try to get an appointment sooner.

Thanks very much....

This might explain why I had a headache all day today : (

Thanks again
pbear

Old 01-16-2003, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

After I had my tooth break (about 9 years ago or so), and expose one amalgam, I had headaches so bad, that pain killers (my Dristan) wouldn't take the pain away. You can read a lot of what I have to say about mercury in dental amalgam fillings.

I'm well today, after suffering with fibromyalgia pains, loose teeth and gum disease for decades. I had all my mercury fillings replaced with less toxic ones. It's a long story. If you would like more information, please let me know. You can see a lot of what I write, in the one amalgam story that was brought to the top.

Old 01-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #5

NewMe HB User
are fillings still made of mercury? I had a rootcanal with metal post in 90. My post is exposed due to not completing the root canal, temp cap fell off exposing posts. The tooth behind also cracked a bit, and filling is really exposed. Am I at risk? Is it mercury?

Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #6

indsey HB User
Unhappy

if your filling is the color of silver it is made of mercury (about 50%)
If you did get mercury poisoning good luck getting anyone to attribute it to the fillings. After YEARS of sickness the DR.s finnaly said I was "hypersensitive" to mercury. In other words I'm allergic to poison. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
the melting point of silver is too high to use it alone so they must mix it with something, mercury is cheap and dosen't take much skill to place so they use that.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

indsey,

Me too! I'm allergic to poison too!

How long did it take for you to get the connection - that your dental amalgams were causing you health problems? It took for me - more than 20 years. I suffered so much because most doctors or dentist don't understand. I had to find out on my own - by reading books. Then one day my tooth broke exposing an amalgam - and my pains got worse - much worse. I took a chance and had all of them replaced about nine years ago. It was the best thing I could have done.

Old 04-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #8

scaredstiff70 HB User
Question

Out of curiosity, is there any additional information on the total removal of broken teeth with mercury fillings? I just had a full upper extraction done, and set to have the lowers done next Tuesday. I have 2 broken teeth with mercury fillings in them. I believe I remember the filling itself breaking off here and there as well.
After reading your post, I got to thinking and wondering if I am at risk for poisoning myself? I had one filling in the top right side as well that was removed (whole tooth)just days ago. For years I can recall having terrible headaches, nausea, light-headedness, dizzy spells, once I fainted for no apparent reason, and I get very irritated very easily. I understand that there could be other things contributing to my symptoms, but, your story is sure an eye opener.
Should I insist on stricter measures during my extractions next week? My, this is some really scary stuff. Does the mercury tend to only cause poisoning if the filling is being replaced, or does that stand for ALL mercury fillings and their removal, extraction, ect.??

Thanks
scaredstiff70

Closed Thread