It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
Post FIFTH WISDOM TOOTH...

i had my wisdome teeth (all 4) removed when i was 16 (34 now)..when i was about 19 i was told i have a 5th wisdom tooth but it was so far up in my jaw that there was no need to attempt to remove it and that it would probably never come down enough to cut through the gumline..well guess what?..about 6 months ago, i felt something strange (what i thought was a cut) in the far back of my gumline (behind where wisdom teeth would have been) and low and behold it was this 5th wisdom tooth..its not causing any pain and feels as if its coming in straight..although it has nowhere near fully come in..the outter part of the tooth is about an 1/8 of an inch through and the inside portion of the tooth is barely through the gumline..my delimma is, what should i do?..do i go to the dentist and suggest it be removed?..do i leave well enough alone since its not giving me any problems?..has anyone else every experienced this before?.if so what did you do?..i have never had any serious dental problems..i had some exotosis (extra jaw bone) removed 4 years ago on my lower jaw..other than that, no major dental problems, not even a cavity...any and all suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated...thanks :-)

Old 04-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

lakelog HB User
Smile

I personally would just leave it alone. My husband has a 5th wisdom tooth as well on his top right. They don't recommend him taking out any of those but do want his lower ones removed cause they are impacted and leaning into the roots of the teeth beside them. He can't afford that right now seeing as we don't have dental insurance. I had a hole in one of mine and went to an oral surgeon last month and while asleep, he elected to take all 3 of mine out and only charged for the 1. I'm glad of that now that's it's over with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

cmello HB User
Re: FIFTH WISDOM TOOTH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds4832 View Post
i had my wisdome teeth (all 4) removed when i was 16 (34 now)..when i was about 19 i was told i have a 5th wisdom tooth but it was so far up in my jaw that there was no need to attempt to remove it and that it would probably never come down enough to cut through the gumline..well guess what?..about 6 months ago, i felt something strange (what i thought was a cut) in the far back of my gumline (behind where wisdom teeth would have been) and low and behold it was this 5th wisdom tooth..its not causing any pain and feels as if its coming in straight..although it has nowhere near fully come in..the outter part of the tooth is about an 1/8 of an inch through and the inside portion of the tooth is barely through the gumline..my delimma is, what should i do?..do i go to the dentist and suggest it be removed?..do i leave well enough alone since its not giving me any problems?..has anyone else every experienced this before?.if so what did you do?..i have never had any serious dental problems..i had some exotosis (extra jaw bone) removed 4 years ago on my lower jaw..other than that, no major dental problems, not even a cavity...any and all suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated...thanks :-)
In my humble opinion, I think you should go to the dentist and consider getting it removed before it comes in fully. Here's why...

My 4 normal wisdom teeth came in when I was 16. Because we did not have dental coverage at the time, my dentist did not suggest removing them. He never suggested removing wisdom teeth to save my parents money but I think that is a penny-wise, pound-foolish attitude.

When I was in college (several years later, in my 20s) I got a splitting headache. It started with my ears hurting even though I had no symptoms of an earache. One day, the crown of one of my wisdom teeth broke off so I went to the dentist. He discovered I had a fifth wisdom tooth and it was impacted, growing sideways, it had never shown up on previous xrays but must have suddenly made its move, rapidly coming out of nowhere. It caused my other wisdom tooth crown to break. It also accounted (finally) for my headache and earache. I had oral surgery to remove all 5 wisdom teeth.

Problem is, by the time I had my wisdom teeth removed, they had ruined my bite (made my original straight teeth crooked) especially the alignment of my molars . I later had to get braces in my 30's and it was because my wisdom teeth were not removed until years after they had come in fully and messed up my molars. Even in the other 3 places where I had only 1 wisdom tooth behind my molars, the wisdom teeth messed up my molars.

Several years later, my youngest sister had the same problem (unexplained headache but in her teens) and my mom took her directly to the dentist. She had 6 wisdom teeth which she had removed immediately (they had not even broke through yet). She has not had to have braces -- her teeth (especially her molars) are aligned fine. I attribute this fact to her wisdom teeth being removed MUCH earlier, age-wise and before they fully came in, than mine.

Another reason wisdom teeth are removed, besides the potential cavity problem, is because they can cause bite problems like mine did after coming in fully. You've had the other 4 removed. You should get this extra one removed now that it is coming down before it causes a problem down the road. If your dentist had NOT removed the other 4 then I would say remove only the 5th. Since you had the other 4 removed long ago, I think you need to have this new one removed too for the same reason the original 4 were removed. Either way, I think it needs to come out. Do it before it is all the way out! You have good teeth -- keep them that way.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would at least go for a consultation. Have it x rayed and see what's going on with it, what might happen down the road, etc. Then you can make a more informed decision. It's not good to make an assumption in this case.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed with jaw surgery when I was a teenager. Later, on an x-ray, a 5th wisdom tooth was found on the top right side. I wasn't told to do anything about it, so I didn't. Back in May, one night I felt something weird with my tongue behind the last tooth on the top right - I thought I got something stuck there and kept trying to pick at it. I had it x-rayed again, and sure enough it was coming in. I ended up having it removed because it was driving me nuts, and it was really easy to remove - but otherwise I don't think it would have caused any problems - just maybe more difficult to keep clean. Lucky us

Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

sable22 HB User

And here I thought God had given me extra because he knew I'd need them I had the upper two removed in my early twenties and eventually lost a couple more in the back as well. So when more wisdom teeth appeared, I kept them and use them!

Closed Thread