It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2003, 08:30 PM   #1

Mark4 HB User
Post Gums around a temp. crown..

I had a temporary crown put in and the gums around the temp are blackish/grey and there's a gap between the crown and my gums. Is it usual for the temporary to not fit snuggly against the gums and for the gums to be discolored? Will they heal up and return to normal?
The dentist said something about a cord and some medicine that he put on the gums to stop some bleeding. How long does it take before the gums return to normal color?? Thanks a bunch, I'm a little worried.

Old 05-01-2003, 05:00 AM   #2
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
I usually get discolored gums around a temporary crown. It goes away. I'm not sure how long it takes, though, as it never concerned me much. However, I've never had a "gap" between the tooth and gum. My temporary crown always fits snugly. It's probably not too much of a problem... aren't you getting the permanent crown in a couple of weeks? Unless you're feeling some sort of pain or discomfort, I wouldn't worry too much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 01:23 PM   #3

Mark4 HB User
Donna,

Thank you so much for your reply, I feel a little better now --- however -- I am experiencing pain in that tooth and the surrounding area. It is quite sore and I can't chew in that area. Since the gums are so beat up I guess this is understandble. But how long should I wait if the pain doesn't go away? I had the procedure yesterday (Wed). Just feeling a bit depressed, I injured my front two teeth a numer of years ago and the recently started hurting. They were abscessed so I had a root canal done on both. After 10 days of antibiotics I felt as good as new. Now, after going back and having the crown put on I feel like I'm back at square one -- with an ugly gum line to boot!

Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
Ohhhhhh, yours is right in the front.. I can see why it bothers you so much. I've gotten a number of crowns, but not on any of the front teeth.. that's why I said the temporarily dark gums didn't concern me much.

How long you will feel pain depends on how much trauma there was to the gums and how sensitive your gums are in the first place. I think it is important to distinguish between gum soreness and a true toothache, though. You should expect soreness, but not a major toothache (in my opinion), especially since you already had root canals done.

What I would say is trust your instincts. If days pass and you are not getting better (or feel worse!) don't hesitate to call your dentist. There could be some problem that is easily fixed.

Try not to feel too depressed. I've had all sorts of dental troubles for years, and, while it stinks when you're going through them, everything eventually works out. Your gums will heal nicely, you'll get your nice new crowns, and you'll totally forget about all of this

Best wishes!

PS My dentists have always recommended salt water rinses for gum soreness.

Closed Thread