I have had really severe dental problems for nearly a year, only recenly has the cause been found.
I had begun to have sinus problems about 2.5 years ago, dizziness and blocked ears accompanied this.
I had 2 teeth RCT on the lower left, swelling of lymph glands on the same side, swelling across my buccal area, all on the left.
I had most of my amalgam removed 3 years ago, 6 months later the problems started.
It turns out, 3 extractions, 4 RCT, later that the composite fillings were leaking.
I am still having treatment, having just had another tooth extracted upper left 7, because the infection would not respond to RCT or antibiotic treatment, as is quite common these days.I had struggled with this tooth for 5 months, having it cleaned and dressed, but nothing worked.
I still have infection in the lower left 6, and hope to save this one.
Do not think that by having all your amalgam removed you gain improved dental standards, especially in your back molars.
Many dentisits are happy to take your money to change them, knowing full well youll be back to have some endo work done in the not so far off future.
Composites cannot stand the strain that the molars place on them.
So, take it from someone who learnt the hard way, and save your money. Dont try to rush and fix things that dont need fixing!!
Find a dentist who really listens!
Find a dentist who really listens!
Pragmatist - Unfortunately certain composites don't work with everyone, especially if dentists don't test to see which materials are compatible with their patients. I had my amalgams taken out and I'm glad I did as I had difficulties with mercury in other areas of my health. However...I'm just now being told that since my body is more acidic the particular composites that were used 5 years ago by another dentist are falling apart because of it. Had I known about the materials' testing then I would have had it done. It would have save me alot of money and mouth pain.
[This message has been edited by cathyk (edited 04-20-2003).]
It's been some time since I researched this, but there are many different types of "white" fillings. I believe I had porcelain. I've had them for a little over nine years with no problems.
I did have problems with my mercury-silver dental amalgams, so I had them replaced. This amalgam (often called "silver filling" by a lot of dentists) shrinks because the mercury constantly is leaking and accumulating in your bodily tissues.
The metal of largest composition in a mercury-silver dental amalgam is mercury. I surprised years ago to learn that silver is much less half - so I've always wondered why they called them "silver" fillings. Mine never looked silver anyway either - just a gray-black color. I felt betrayed when I found out that so much mercury was in this dental material. I just didn't know.... But I knew that mercury is extremely poisonous - even in small amounts.
I heard of one other individual that apparently had problems with a composite filling. I was fortunate to have had a great dentist and the right materials for me. I certainly didn't want any more problems. I'd had enough of them by then.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You can find on the internet loads of information about this - about the wide variety of materials and cementing agents. Also some people report dangers with root canals - if they are not done properly - and other people debate whether they should be done at all. I don't know a lot about it, but if I even "smell" trouble - I won't go there. As a result, I'll never have a root canal. It's too risky for me. I've had so much pain and suffering with the mercury-silver dental amalgams, that I just don't want to repeat that nightmare.
Thanks Rhody, Ive had my fill aswell, having been to supposedly some of the best dental specialists in London, I felt as though I was going mad.
I luckily have now found a really great one, she listens, is always at the end of a phone if I need to talk, and is very knowledgeable, she does'nt dismiss anything out of hand.
I also have Lupus, so I understand your concern about amalgam, the only plus for it is that it does keep the area sterile.
I am going to have tests to see what compounds I can handle, she believes I may have to have gold, with glass iomers nearer the front. But I'll have to wait and see. Funnily enough she told me to try a different antibiotic, which i started 2 days ago, and as a result
(fingers crossed) Im feeling better.
Anyway, good luck to you.....
Find a dentist who really listens!
I haven't posted in a while. Some of you may remember my situation where I had 9 "microfillings" or composite sealant filling material put on mostly my rear molars as a "Preventative" measure to have tiney alleged early decay arrested through AIR ABRASION drill-less dentistry. All it did was CAUSE ME TO HAVE NEARLY 2 years of restorative dental work.
Since the sealant-filling composite material came off and my bite was thrown off, my prosthodontist tried adding on additional composite resin on my one back molar( I had no contact points between any of my top and bottom molars a complication of the AIR ABRASION PROCEDURE NOT CUTTING MY TEETH PRECISELY). He said if the additional white bonding material came off. He said it would also come off on all my other molars so there would be no point in doing it on the others. To make a long story short, I got 3 porcelain onlays and one porcelain inlay(this was for an old mercury filling which was leaking after 30 years but the only tooth untouched by the air abrasion). The material, porcelain is much better than the bonding/composite resin. It feels much harder and like natural enamel rather than the "stick on plastic" that a resin is like(which I agree with all of you who have said resins are not good for the back molars). It's just a big dental racket(as I found out the hard way) to get you to keep going back for replacements and giving dentists future cash flows. My bite is still off, but overall it is much better with the porcelain. I could stand to have a couple more of the far back molars done(they still have the composite/sealing filling material on. BUt at this point, I can't really afford it. My onlays and inlays cost $1,350.00 each. I just hope they don't crack. My prosthodist said that out of 100 people with porcelain, in 98 people 10 years later they are still intact. So tha chances are 2 in 100 that they may crack before them. If this happens, It will be costly to replace. But I would rather take my chances with the porcelain than with weak white composite/resin materials which come off with chewing forces.
Unfortunately, my TMJD symptoms come and go(crunching noises etc And in my case it was all for a procedure that was unnecessary as my decay was early enought that it may have taken many years to have decayed my tooth. Nothing is stronger than natural enamel even with microdecay on it. LIke the old saying goes if it's not broken don't fix it(I learned the hard way).