It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2003, 10:11 PM   #1

xpartmgr HB User
Post Large piece of tooth or something after extraction

Hi everyone. I am new here, I found this site while tring to find out if my dentist is following proper procedure. I went in to get a referral to get braces (my insurance requires this) After taking x-rays on me I was told I have two cavities and need to get them filled before the referral can be done. This sounded normal so I agreed. I went in and had the bottom-right very back teeth filled. Within a couple of hours I knew something was wrong! The second tooth from the back was extremly painful. I called back and was told that it would get better in a few days. I had my reservations but waited. I was miserable. I called after a week and went back. I was told that I needed a root canal, post and crown to make it feel better ($920.00 my cost), I was not happy about this since I had no pain until I went in for the fillings. I told them no and let very upset. After one more night of pain I went back and told them they would have to pull the tooth as I didn't have that kind of money right now. They suggested a procedure called an open ended med (at least that what I think they called it). This was to completely get rid of the pain and I could come back in a month or two to get the root canal. I agreed and they did the procedure. In two hours I was twice as miserable as before. I was having what felt like electrical shocks running in my mouth. I called back and was once again told to give it a few days. I took more pain medicine in those two days then I have taken in my whole life. It is a good thing we had them at the house because it was killing me. After three days I couldn't take another minute I went back and insisted they fix the problem, once again they wanted $920.00 I told them I didn't have it and was told the only other option was an extraction. I agreed and had the tooth pulled. It broke off and took 1:40 minutes to get it out. The novocaine didn't seem to completly work as this was pure agony. I was giving three different injections but I still felt everything. After words I was ill from this, I was in severe pain and was once again sent home without any pain meds or anything else. After a week of pain and several phone calls I went back to find I now have dry socket. I was treated with penicillin, 800mg motrin and the socket was packed with gauze soaked in something that smelled like mentol. I went back after two days and I must say that stuff helped a lot. He repacked it and sent me home for one more day. I went today and have the gauze removed and told the dentist that I have a couple of spots that don't feel right. On the outside of the gum there is what feels like something is poking out, it is pretty painful. I also have what looks like a very large part of the tooth still in the socket. I tryed to move it around to see if it was still attached or just laying in there and it is very much attached, I even went as far as using a plastic poker to pry on it and it is definitely solid. The dentist said that it would be alright but I can feel it and it is cutting my gums and causing pain. It seems to be keeping the socket open on the inside where it pressing against the gum. Should I be worried about this and get a second opinion or is he right? Help this has been the worst experience of my life!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
Holy Moley! What an experience

So there is a big piece of bone sticking out and the dentist thinks it is ok to leave it there?? I'd definitely get a second opinion!

Old 05-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
maude&bandit

I had the upper left molar removed last week. Holy cow are you ever going through alot. I didn't even feel him take it out. However those back teeth are near the jaw bone and sometimes a bit of bone breaks away when they pull it out. I know my dentist picked something out of my socket just after taking the tooth out. Maybe it was apiece of bone. A few years ago I had another molar removed and had no problem however 2 years later my gum became very sore and a piece of bone was working its way out from the removal 2 years previous. The dentist actually removed it with a tweezers. If I was going through all that you are I would definetly go to the emergency dept. or another dentist.

Old 05-05-2003, 04:39 PM   #4

Kimia HB User
YOUCH!!!!!!! I was feeling pretty sorry for myself until I read your message. First Off..........go to another dr or dentist this surely doesnt sound right to me.
Last monday 4/28 i went and had 3 wisdom teeth and two molars removed, my dentist knocked me completely out and I didnt feel a thing until the next day. I was in alot of pain right up until today but had pain medication and advil and warm moist heat and all of that made it liveable.
I have a piece of bone starting to poke out of the inside of my gum, this is normal, i researched it on the web, he had also told me about it before i left the day of the surgery and again today when i went and had my stitches removed, it will work its way out (well it should, if not then i go back next week and he will remove it.)
Good Luck and surely wish you the best!
Kimia

Closed Thread