It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 08:50 PM   #1

oceaniatorrid HB User
Post HELP!!!! HOW TO STOP BLEEDING AFTER TOOTH REMOVAL (for dentures)...?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

My mom just got all of her top teeth removed, and her gums are bleeding badly, and making her feel sick. Wearing the dentures definitely doesn't help. We want to know if there's some way to make the bleeding stop, or at least lay off a little bit. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet, and this is my last resort...please, ANY sound advice would be very helpful!

Old 05-14-2003, 04:31 AM   #2

scaredstiff70 HB User
Hi Ocean,
First off, SOME bleeding is to be expected. I had my teeth extracted 3 weeks ago and had bleeding for the first 24-36 hours after. I tried to take it easy the day after my surgery so as not to bleed profusely or swell like a balloon.
If your mom is bleeding heavily and it's causing her to be sick, then call the dentist/oral surgeon who did the extractions and inquire. Having immediate dentures placed after extractions should actually help with swelling/bleeding, sort of a "pressure bandage". Whatever she does, don't take the dentures out until the dentist tells her to.
Please have her (or yourself if she can't) call the dentist and discuss your concerns.

Good luck to your mom.

scaredstiff70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #3

sbloomer HB User
Also, a little blood in the mouth looks like a ton of blood, just because you have saliva mixing in with it. If there is still quite a bit of bleeding you can also try damp tea bags to help clot the areas. About the dentures, if she is in alot of pain, take them out. Yes they work as a pressure bandage, and they also work to help shape the gum area while they are healing. But by no means if she is in pain while wearing the denture should she go through the pain. Just try to wear them as often as she can.

Old 05-14-2003, 12:19 PM   #4

scaredstiff70 HB User
I was told that if you take them out prior to the dentist ok to do so, there's a strong chance that the swelling could increase, which would render some unable to put the denture back in.

I was in some pain while I had mine in for the first 48 hours, but the dentist insisted that I DO NOT remove them no matter how uncomfortable. I guess every dentist is different. It was just my opinion that the poster should call her dentist first before removing them, not to mention if she is bleeding a great deal, she should call anyway, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

scaredstiff70

Old 05-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #5

sbloomer HB User
As a hygienist, yes she might have some swelling but with time the swelling is going to go down and she will have soft relines done to better fit the dentures, I am not saying take them out forever and if she can keep them in for the first 24 hours then great but if she cannot tolerate the pain then take them out for a couple of hours and then put them back in.

Old 05-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #6

Yos HB User
I hope that by now the bleeding has slowed down considerably if not stopped altogether. If it hasn't I would strongly suggest she see her dentist ASAP.

As a relatively new denture wearer I would just like to add a few suggestions to help you mom get through the next few days. She should rinse her mouth with salt water often. This will help keep the gums clean, rinse away excess blood and has the added bonus of having a bit of a soothing effect on the gums. Preferably, she should keep the denture in 24 hrs/day except for cleaning and salt water rinses until the dentist says she doesn't need to wear them the entire time anymore. I wore mine 24hrs/day for almost 2 weeks. The post about the denture acting as a bandage and for swelling control was right on the mark. So was the post about taking the dentures out if they cause pain. If the gums are painful try to determine what is causing the pain. If it is general pain from the extractions or swelling pain killers should work well enough until some healing ocurrs and some swelling goes down. Painkillers however, will not help if the denture is rubbing or aggravating the gums or other part of the mouth in some way. If it is the denture causing the pain your mom should see the dentist within a reasonalble time period to have the denture adjusted. She should wear the denture for 8 to 12 hours before seeing the dentist so he/she can see any inflamation where the denture is aggravating the gums or mouth. She should go back to the dentist as often as needed to resolve any sore spots. It's very important at this early stage that sore spots are treated promptly and the denture be comfortable in her mouth.

It's important that your mom be patient with her healing gums and the new denture. Healing takes time and so does adjusting and learning how to cope with the denture. It's also important that she follow her dentists instructions. It may be uncomfortable and sometimes a bit sore but it is in her best interests.

If you or your mom have any other questions please ask. There are at least a couple of new denture wearers here Tell your mom I wish her luck.

Closed Thread