It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2002, 11:16 PM   #1

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Talking major complications after wisdom teeth removal Dr is clueless about;HELP!!!

I had my wisdom teeth removed 2 months ago. About 2-3 weeks later I started to swell on & around my left lower jaw bone. I seen the same Dr who pulled all 4 wisdom teeth & he just said it is TMJ and to take ibuprofen for the pain. The swelling got worse so I went back in for him to say I probably had a piece of food causing infection stuck inside. He sent me home with antibiotic. Finally my jaw swelled up so badly it looked like a tennis ball sitting in my jaw, and the pain was unbearable. I seen him again for him to tell me he is going to have to do surgery to get the food particle out. It had already been 1 1/2 months. When he opend me up, he found a lot of dead/black bone fragments along with dead tissue on my lower left jaw. He said he has never seen this in 16 yrs of practice & he didn't really know what to do, but scrape it out. Well it is now 12 days later, the swelling is so much worse then what it was, and of course the pain is severe. He told me he is going to have to do another surgery in 2 days to scrape it again. I don't know if this is safe, what caused it, or if it will ever get better. I have been going threw this for 2 months & everyone is telling me they don't know what to do. I think someone must have some answers unless I am the only one in the world who has ever had dead bone fragments after wisdom teeth were pulled which I don't think is possible. Please if anyone knows ANYTHING about this or has went threw this themselves, let me know what to do or give some kind of advice. I am truly scared, and need help. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2002, 07:23 AM   #2

simmie HB User
Cindylouwho,

Wow. You poor thing!! I'd find an or another oral surgeon immediately for a consult. (if your dentist was not an oral surgeon). I've heard food can cause extreme irritation, but it really sounds like you have something major going on, and your dentist isn't taking it seriously, perhaps due to lack of knowledge.

Sim

Old 08-19-2002, 12:45 PM   #3

Shaman HB User
I would get a second opinion. If there is a university near you or teaching hospital with a dental school I would consider contacting them. Often times teaching hospitals or dental schools getto see the "tough" cases and won't tell you "they have never seen that".

I think you need a medical consult. Your infection sounds bad and it may be time to give up on the oral antibiotics and go for something stronger. If you have to, go to the ER. A possible bone infection is not something to take lightly.

I hope you feel better.

Old 08-21-2002, 07:54 PM   #4

lorrib HB User
I work for an execellent oral surgeon. What you describe is scaring me, im worried about osteomylitis. See another oral surgeon immediatly I wouldn't let this guy touch me again. Make sure they take a panex Let me know how this goes This could be a serious problem if you don't take care of it immediatly.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:10 PM   #5

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Thank you for all of your advice. I really appreciate it. I did have a second opinion done by another oral surgen who has seen this once before. He stated that there isn't even really a name for it because it is so rare, and it only happens to 1 in 10,000 people. He also said that oral surgens know of it, but don't know anything else like how to cure it, because of the fact of it being so rare. There are only a few oral surgens that actually see it themselves in there whole career so when one does see it, he/she only do what they feel is right. He told me to still see the oral surgen that took my wisdom teeth out because that doctor is doing the same thing he did. He told me that for the patient he seen with it, he sraped her bone and had to do several surgeries, but it just kept coming back. Finally after about 5 surgeries, he took her to the hospital, and really opend her up and cleaned EVERYTHING out really well to get rid of it. She had to be on home IV for 6 weeks. He told me that that was the last time it came back for her, and she has no side effects from it. So now tommorow, I have to go back in for another surgery to get my bone scraped. This time the Dr is going to also do a culture to see what kind of bacteria it is. Hopefully I will learn more about it by them doing that. If it comes back again after this surgery I most likely will have to go into the hospital for them to pump me with a lot of IV and really clean everything out.
I wanted to ask lorrib if You could please ask the oral surgen you work for what he would do in a case like this. Maybe he knows something about it that no one else I talked to has told me. The last oral surgen who has seen this before did mention that it was osteomylitis, but that was really all he said. I would really love more advice and information, and I would really appreciate the help. I will keep you posted on what happens from here. Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2002, 09:10 AM   #6

lorrib HB User
Osteomylitis is serious. It can eat away your jaw bone. The Dr. who did this doesn't want to say the word. Ask him directly! What area of the country do you live in? A large University Dental school may be the answer.Is the Dr. who did the wisdom teeth an oral surgeon? I would find the best oral surgeon in your area. You can not let this go. Have they taken another xray to see how much damage there is to the jaw? They should have. I think he botched this up the first time you went back. IV antibiotics may be the treatment. I would start documenting everything you have done and been told to do. dates X-rays treatments advice.

Old 08-23-2002, 10:12 PM   #7

fallllea HB User
Read my post on osteo because this sound like exactly what I had.You need a bone scan ,not x-rays.They do not really mean 'Scrape 'They mean REMOVE bone tissue.You need an md and infectious disease MD.THIS is VERY,VERY,SERIOUS.THey remove bone by reading the Nuclear scan and then 2-6 weeks of IV therapy.You may e-mail me if any more Questions.It is rare and most dentist and oral surgeons have not seen this .That is the big problem.An oral surgeon will have to remove teeth and jaw bone but DO NOT WAIT.It can be deadly.Hurry,do not pass go.Bestof luck.Randy

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 08-24-2002).]

Old 08-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #8

lorrib HB User
Cindylou What is happening with you?

Old 08-27-2002, 10:21 PM   #9

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Hi all! I am writing this for my daughter Wendy (cindylouwho).She is not feeling well at all right now and asked me to reply for her. She just turned 18 last month,and was in perfect health, with perfect teeth (after braces), never had a cavity. Two months ago she had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out as advised by her dentist and orthodontist. They said if she didn't have them removed, when they did start to come in, they would push her other teeth and all the money we spent on her braces would be for nothing. So an oral surgeon removed them. She has been suffering ever since. Last thurs. the oral surgeon opened her again and scraped more dead bone and took culture. It's 5 days later and he tells us "Yea, we've got some rare bacteria growing here, but we still don't know what it is yet, to know what antibiotic to give her." In the meantime, my daughter is in agony and looks deformed from the swelling. I've relayed to him the information that Randy and lorrib have given us about osteomylitis (thank-you so much). But this Dr. is so arrogant that he won't listen. I am happy to report tho, that I took Wendy this morning to our family doc, and he has made arrangements for her at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis. This is about a 3 and half hour drive from where we live. She has to be there this thurs. We now have faith that she will get the right help and treatment to overcome this. Our family dr.(who has been seeing Wendy since birth) knew just by looking at her, that it was probably osteomylitis and she needed IV drip. We still couldn't convince the oral surgeon tho. We will keep you posted on her treatment and recovery. Thanks again to everyone and especially Randy for relating his story. You have all been very helpful in making us realize that this oral surgeon wasn't on the right track. God Bless you all.

Old 08-28-2002, 03:24 PM   #10

lorrib HB User
She can get well from this. It is just a shame that the surgeon did not recognize this right away. Just do everything they tell you to do. Don't rule out Legal advice, this could be considered malpractice.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:06 PM   #11

fallllea HB User
hey-cindy- I am so glad you took her to family MD.Even if it is not Osteo ,it sounds like it's serious enough for him to take immediate action.It's much better to take the offense(I am a big colt's fan because peyton manning was a TN. VOL and I live 20 minute's from Knoxville.) and attack it with IV antibotics ,Than to wait around and take the" We'll see how it goes " attitude that a lot a dentist and oral surgeons in my area take.If it turns out to be Osteomylitis,then you have saved Wendy and everyone else a lot of pain and suffering PLUS a lot of cash if you had tried other opinion's by more dentist or their refferal's.If this is an early stage , then this should be easy to treat.I hope she does great .I am sorry I can not give my e-mail because it keeps getting pulled. ( Moderator must be a dentist )Please let me know how it is going .I think you can click on my profile to send message.If not there must be some way to contact me.If I can help in any way,please let me know.We are moving so I will be slow with response,but I will get there.Best wishes,Randy

Old 09-02-2002, 07:50 PM   #12

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Hi everyone! Just wanted to update everyone on Wendy. She spent 3 days in hospital and was diagnosed as having osteomylitis. She had a bone scan done and a team of infectious disease drs. determined what antibiotic would work for her. They surgically implanted a PICC-line(IV) in her arm that runs to her heart. She has to have 900mg of clindamyacin run through this line every 8 hours. A nurse came to our house when we got home to train us on how to do this, then will come back once a week to clean and change bandages. Her supplies and antibiotics are delivered right to our house. She will have this PICC-line for at least 6 weeks. We have to take her back in 2 weeks to check if antibiotic is working for her, and at that time they will determine if she needs another surgery for dead bone scraping(debridment). They gave her a script for pain called Percassettes and one for Motrin to take in between if needed. They make her sleep alot, but have finally eased her pain. Her swelling has went down considerably since on IV. I've tried to ask the drs. what could have caused this and they still couldn't help me with a direct reason on that. One said it could have been an abcess that formed after wisdom teeth removal and one said the original dose of antibiotic given after wisdom teeth removal wasn't adequate(150 mg clindamyacin). When I told the oral surgeon here that I needed her files and was going to Indianapolis, he still didn't want me to take her anywhere else and stated " Well, I don't think we are at the worry stage yet" I replied, "well maybe you aren't, but we are past the worry stage!" I'm glad that I took everyone elses advice when I did. She already is feeling much better after only a couple of days. This forum, and the caring people who write, and relate their stories, are lifesavers.I wouldn't have known how serious osteomylitis was or even what it was if it weren't for you all.The oral surgeon here sure was CLUELESS! Wendy's mom..Cindy Lou

Old 09-04-2002, 06:45 AM   #13

lorrib HB User
I am very glad to hear you are getting the right treatment finally she should start getting well now Do everything they tell you to do. We always give 500 mg Pen VK after oral surgery. Best of luck

Old 09-04-2002, 08:30 PM   #14

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
Thanks lorrib, I forgot to mention, Wendy is allergic to Penicillain.

Old 09-12-2002, 05:47 PM   #15

lorrib HB User
How is Wendy?

Closed Thread