Dentists in general are not trained to understand how mercury and toxins from these fillings would affect the rest of your body (like a medical doctor). How many of them will tell you that you have mercury in these amalgam fillings? Don't they still call them "silver" fillings or "silver" amalgams, even though by far the metal of highest composition is mercury?
I don't believe that these dentists can help, unless they spend time researching the affect mercury has on different people. It's so frustrating too, that the rest of the medical community appears to be so slow to react about the problems that mercury can cause people. We just have to say no to mercury - even in the smallest amounts. As a result, some legal action has just begun and some changes have ocurred too. Mercury is not only found in dental fillings, but also in some medications. Maybe that's the only thing that will force them to change. Recently, when I went to my doctor, I wrote "please no mercury" when describing any allergy to these pharmaceutical drugs.
Could you have problems because of this mercury? We can't say for sure. But there is some probability that it could be causing you problems. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to find a medical professional that understand this. There are some, but they are hard to find. I hope you could find one. I had a naturopath help me with additional testing.
I think the best bet, is to keep pressing them for answers. You are so right. After 24 years of being in that profession, why don't they know more about the metallic taste that mercury can cause from fillings?
I hope you can find more about what is causing these problems for you. I know for me, when my tooth broke and my fibromyalgia symptoms got worse, I took a chance and got rid of all of them. I didn't want to be part of their "circus" any more. For the money, I was far further ahead of just getting rid of them, rather than going around and around with tests. I believe I got durable porcelain white fillings. I had a great dentist replace these mercury-silver dental amalgams. He had to keep in line with the ADA position - and that was OK by me too - as I was doing it for cosmetic reasons as a minimum. But, I got a lot more than just all white teeth - now I got my health back.
Slowly over the years, I got better. Lately, by taking cilantro, I've improved even more. I squeezed a grueling (up and down a mountain) 5 mile plus hike this last week (on Memorial Day), with my 19.5 mile weekly run. I was sore on Thursday. I thought I would have to give it a rest today - but I was able to run again - pretty fast - so I didn't have to skip any running because of my overdoing it. I constantly notice improvement. This week, let's call it 25 miles in running and hiking - pretty good for someone that a doctor told to not run more than a hundred yards in 1978.
I've started overdoing it on purpose. I'm trying to see if the results are real. They have been plenty real enough.... I hope that I have helped some. Please let me know, if you have any more questions.
I agree with Rhody. I'd like to add my two cents regarding your post.
With all the research I've done, and also comments from two dentists who are personal friends of mine. There are a lot more dentists in today's world who are very aware of the "mercury" almagam issue. However, we must understand that they are working under extreme pressure and maybe even fear, and it's coming from a very powerful society they belong to who have very strict rules and regulations. This society pretty much calls the shots. It's called the ADA. (American Dental Association) I've been told that many dentists are in fact working in fear of loosing their license if they were to tell you their personal opinion about mercury almalgam fillings. There is a huge liability factor surrounding this issue. Can you imagine the lawsuits, if the ADA changed their position on this issue and said that mercury amalgam fillings were in deed harmful to human health?
If you could take the time to study the history of the dental industry, you might be amazed.
I believe, like many others that we all must make the choice to be an "informed" consumer, especially with dentistry. Our over-all health could very well depend on it.
I'm all for asking lot's of questions regarding what is going into our teeth. We all have the right to be "informed."
I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.
[This message has been edited by tenntod (edited 06-05-2003).]
One of the first educational tools I was given regarding this issue was a videotape of a heath program featuring patients who felt their mercury fillings were causing them serious ailments. Two dentists were also featured..one is my current dentist. They have both gone mercury-free and explained the difficulty and pressure and risk they have experienced. At one point I remember them trying to "dodge" a question about dental colleges still teaching amalgam use..saying something like..don't rock the boat while you are in school..get your certification from the ADA then make your own choices about your practice.
To be an informed consumer is critical. Too many of us take a blind approach when the medical or dental profession is involved. It is unfortunate, but we've probably been conditioned that they always know best. But we should spend the same time researching the products and services we receive from the medical community as we would any thing else.
This is a lesson I've learned only recently. Good Luck.
Thank you so much for your post! I totally agree with you on everything you've said.
I recently read a book written by a mercury-free dentist who stated that in his first year in dental school, he questioned his professor about the mercury issue. He was searching for the truth. His professor dodged his questions and was told to stay after class. His professor politely told him that if he wanted to get through dental school he would not EVER bring up any questions regarding the mercuy amalgam issue again.
So, he followed his professor's advice, finished dental school and never joined the ADA. He has always been a mercury-free dentist. It's too bad there aren't more dentists out there like this man.
well its good to see that the mercury problems are being accepted finally. The incredable powers of persuasion and beliefs sure had us fooled [and the dentists, to be fair] for a long time.
Good post tentest [?]/
my uncle has "a weird mettalic taste" in his mouth too - its driving him nuts after a year &1/2.
He has a crown though... I suppose that is metal, but maybe there is something else.
Would you consider it possible that the taste could be from bacteria? [of some sort]. If the tooth has been root-canaled, this is s trong possiblity. An infection can taste like almost anything... These infections are sometimes very nasty in that they are anerobic, living in the root-canal w/o much oxygen, but have a good food source. Ther real porblem with then is the waste they give off, which we recognise as TOXINS - "bio-toxins", not chemo-toxins like chemicals.
Slow acting in most cases, like chemo-toxins, these bacteria have mutated to live in these hidden spaces. This is going to take even longer than mercury to be addressed. They can explain some chronic pain conditions, and many chronic poor-health conditions.
Would you try a rinse with H2o2 [Hydrogen peroxide] - use it at 3%, or weaker to start [just mix a littel warm tap water in with it/ best to get the 35% Food Grade and mix it with Distilled Water 10 to 1. Thats 3.5%, and can be used for rinses at that diolution
DO NOT use it full 35% strength.
H2O2 will kill most bad bacteria, and if the taste goes away, then you know what it was - bacterial/biotoxin stuff. This treatment is perfectly harmless, and your teeth will whiten, and your tongue will be cleaner than you ever knew before~!!
John Maynard Keynes: "If governments should refrain from regulation ... the worthlessness of the money becomes apparent and the fraud upon the public can be concealed no longer."
It's great to read your post and realize more and more people are asking questions of the dental world!
Sounds to me like you're very informed!!!
With the research I've done I will share with you what possibly could be causing the metallic taste in your uncle's mouth. You mentioned he had a crown. Most of the time the lab uses nickel as the base. Is it a porcelain crown? The lab uses the nickel to make the base and then fires the porcelain to it. The metallic taste could be coming from the nickel alone. Or, alot of people don't know that their dentist will build a tooth up underneath the crown. In a lot of cases they use mercury amalgam to do that. Now you've got two different metals touching each other once the crown is glued on. They do the same thing with a tooth they root canal. They will fill the pulp chamber with a wax like material called gutta percha. This material shrinks at a rate of approx 3%. Thus, leaving tiny spaces for the bacteria to grow. Then top it off with mercury amalgam for the build up, and set the patient up for all kinds of things. It's my understanding that dentists are getting away from using that technique. However, there are still millions of teeth that have been prepped that way.
I have not heard that H2O2 will do anything as far as these bacteria are concerned. Antibiotics cannot reach them through the bloodstream so I wouldn't think it could topically. Even if it did, it would only be short lived as you mentioned these bacteria mutate and can live on almost NO oxygen. So, I would think they'd come back. Is that what you have found?
I wish you and your uncle the very best. I would suggest your uncle go back and have that tooth looked at!