It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2003, 05:35 PM   #1

ShawnaLee HB User
Angry tooth broke off 2 months after root canal

I am not sure what to do. Two months after I had a root canal on one of my front teeth, it broke off at the base as I was eating bacon. There wasn't much tooth left after he was done and he filled the rest with tooth colored filling. Now I can't smile because I look like some hobo and I'm frightened because I fear they will have to cut out my tooth. I don't know if anyone knows how painful a shot is in the top front of your mouth. Does anyone know if my dentist is responsible for giving me some kind of replacement tooth or a bridge since the costly root canal tooth broke off? If he sends me to an oral surgeon, will I be responsible for the bill? If anyone knows about this sort of thing, please give me a suggestion. Thank you.

Old 06-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #2

RubyD HB User
I'm no expert, but I think your dentist should have told you that a tooth with a root canal is weaker. That's why they usually recommend crowns. On molars and such, crowns are often required.

I guess it depends on what is left of the tooth, but maybe there's a chance they could crown it now. If not, they could remove it and then give you a permanent bridge to replace the tooth.

As far as a shot, did you have one when you had a root canal? They can rub lydocaine or something similar on the gum before the shot to make it much less painful.

As far as the dentist paying for anything, I don't know. It probably depends on whether or not he recommended a crown when you had the root canal. If he didn't, and he didn't warn you that the tooth would be weaker, you could ask for him to kick in toward the bill. The worse he can do is say no.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
(male)

blackthug881 HB User
did u get hit in the mouth that is why you had a root canal also did it hurt all the time or no pain just when you drank cold or hot water and after you got hit was the tooth darker or you got a root canal for cavities

Old 06-17-2003, 05:46 AM   #4

ShawnaLee HB User
I didn't get hit in the mouth. It all started out when the dentist drilled too much tooth away for a filling. The filling came off in 5 days and the tooth later began to abcess. Since it was in the front, I decided to get a root canal instead of getting it pulled to save face. Well, since there wasn't enough tooth, he filled over the root canal and didn't give me a crown or anything else. Hense the tooth breaking off completely at the gumline. All that's left is the root.(Just one.) I had no pain after my root canal. It wasn't near as bad as people claim but it did only have one root. The tooth doesn't hurt now. I just look like "box car willie". I'm going to go to the dentist tomorrow and I'll keep a post as to what he says. I do believe alot of my problem is caused by his neglegience.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
(male)

blackthug881 HB User
what dose abcess mean

Old 06-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #6

ShawnaLee HB User
An abcess starts out as a very sensitive tooth towards hot and cold. This is because the nerves have been eaten into by the cavity or trauma and they become extremely sensitive. If not taken care of soon, it becomes so infected that the pain is unbearable. Coldness and pressure on the tooth makes it even worse and swelling around the root of the tooth begins. This is the process of the tooth's insides dying and the tooth will start to become grayish. At this point antibiotics are needed first and as the medicine does it's thing, the pain decreases somewhat and then a root canal is done or the tooth is pulled.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
(male)

blackthug881 HB User
man i think i have it it is sensitive but it is kinda getting better can it get better or will it always go bad my tooth is darker but the tmj dentistist did not say anything about it when he say my xrays i dont have any swelling it used to wiggle but it is on tight again and it dose not move

[This message has been edited by blackthug881 (edited 06-17-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
(male)

blackthug881 HB User
bump

Old 06-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #9

ShawnaLee HB User
Your tooth might get better but whenever your immune system is brought down by stress, sickness, etc., your tooth will probably flare up again. It is a waiting game but eventually, you are going to have to do something about that tooth.

Old 06-18-2003, 12:38 PM   #10

ShawnaLee HB User
I almost forgot. I go in tomorrow to have the tooth pulled out. He said the root is cracked down the middle. I am going to get a partial to fill in the gaps. Hope it goes alright because there isn't much tooth above the gumline to grab onto. Novocaine shots above your top front teeth are no picnic either. Wish me luck.

Closed Thread