It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
(male)

Milla HB User
Question Teeth sensitive to sugar?

Hey all.

So for a few months now I've been experiencing some weird tooth sensitivity. I have a couple teeth on the left side of my mouth that are sensitive to sugar (or at least chocolate). I know it sounds weird but this sensitivity only occurs when I eat a candy bar or M&M's and it's only a couple teeth on the left side (or I suppose it could be just one and the pain just spreads and makes it feel like more).

For as long as I can remember I've had sensitivity to hot/cold but I use a sensitivity toothpaste so I rarely actually feel pain from hot/cold things. Interestingly, if I eat a candy bar and have some chocolate on my left teeth and then drink something cold, the pain is worse than just with chocolate alone.

I've googled on this and haven't found much and me being forgetful as I am I forgot to ask my dentist during my last visit; however he didn't find any cavities so I don't suspect it is that.

Honestly this seems a bit strange to me so I wanted to make sure it isn't something serious. I remember going through something similar when I first started having a lot of hot/cold sensitivity. I was afraid I had a mouth-full of cavities but as it turns out it's just normal. Hopefully this will be the same way.

Thanks!

EDIT: I wanted to make sure that I had mentioned how random the sensitivity is. For example, I came in to work today and grabbed a hand-ful of M&M's from the jar. These caused my teeth on the left side to hurt a bit which prompted me to post the original message. However, 30 minutes later when I grabbed another handful there was no pain at all and I even purposely chewed them all on the left side. The pain does seem to be semi-random like this although I've noticed it seems to occur more in the morning but not always in the morning. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Milla; 12-06-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Re: Teeth sensitive to sugar?

My teeth have always been sensitive to hot/cold which is totally normal. I do have some surgar sensitivity as well but mainly with 2 teeth that need restorations. I have heard that is can be normal for some people to have sugar sensitive teeth. Sugar after all is not good for anyone's teeth but it's just too darn tasty! Maybe give your dentist a call and ask. It couldn't hurt. It doesn't sound like anything serious though. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

May be you need to use sensodine or your dentist can sell you prescription strenght tooth paste for sensitive teeth.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

My dentist told me that sugar sensitivity is a sign of cavities between the teeth. Sure enough, after I got my cavities filled, my sugar sensitivity went away. It's so nice to be able to eat chocolate and candy again without pain!

I'd recommend getting a set of x-rays to check for cavities, if you haven't already.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
(female)

sugar tooth HB User

I suffer from the exact same condition as Milla. I was told by a dentist that the sensitivity may be enhanced because of wisdom teeth that need to be removed. I had x-rays, but no cavities could be found.

Eating sweets, like snickers and Cadbury eggs, cause a instantaneous sharp pain that subsides if I immediately irrigate the afflicted with water. I just had to remove certain types of sweets from my diet.

I too found this strange and am reluctant to have the wisdom teeth removed until I can receive a thorough diagnosis. I guess I'll check out another dentist.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-04-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Closed Thread