It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

air_20 HB User
Angry Major pain with a cavity filling

Okay, this is going to sound really weird, but here goes...I went to a Dentist I never went to before and had a cavity filling taken out that I had since I was young. Well this Dentist stated that I had to have these two cavities taken out, I asked him to put the white fillings in…instead of the silver filling. He did the procedure, as he was drilling my teeth, it was hurting me A LOT. I left the office and was in MAJOR, MAJOR pain (I'd rather have all my teeth taken out one by one, than have that kind of pain). I went back to him and complained of this pain, he said he would take it out if I wanted (yeah, like I want him to touch me again) Well, I couldn't sleep and was up for nights on end, I then decided to go back to my old dentist that I went to for about 20 years (I didn't go to him in the beginning because of insurance reasons). My old dentist took an x-ray and saw no problems (now I was really confused), he then decided to wait and see what happens, so everyday it got a little bit better, but not enough. For another six months I still had some type of pain between eating and sleeping (this pain went up and down from my ear to my jaw and down my neck). Then my dentist decided it's gotta come out. Well, when I had the cavity taken out, I was in such pain…I was crying SOOOOOOO much while he was trying to take the filling out (he gave me shot after shot after shot, to try and numb the pain). Well, here I am…old cavity out and feeling about 95% better. Well, my question is, has anyone had any problems with this type of situation. To this day I still don’t know what happened to me. Was it the dentist fault, or was there nerve damage that the dentist just couldn't see?
At first I thought I was allergic to the white filling, I know it wasn't that because I had one filling taken out and I still have one white filling still in and that ones okay now.

------------------
airees

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 05:29 AM   #2

rEdKiNg'sDrEaM HB User
I came here looking specifically for an answer to that very question! I think something similar is happening to me. I went to the dentist to get a cavity filled with the white fillings (I've had like a dozen done before no problem), and it was fine until the painkiller wore off, and then there was a strong pain on the tooth, and this shooting pain up the neck to the ear on the side where I got it filled. I've got a constant earache and sore throat and anything cold or hot on that side of the mouth makes me scream in pain. It doesn't seem to be as painful as yours, but it's really bothering me. I'm thinking they hit a nerve or something, because they had to drill deep to get the entire cavity. I'm going back to the dentist tomorrow so I'll tell you what he said when I get back.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 AM   #3

rEdKiNg'sDrEaM HB User
I came here looking specifically for an answer to that very question! I think something similar is happening to me. I went to the dentist to get a cavity filled with the white fillings (I've had like a dozen done before no problem), and it was fine until the painkiller wore off, and then there was a strong pain on the tooth, and this shooting pain up the neck to the ear on the side where I got it filled. I've got a constant earache and sore throat and anything cold or hot on that side of the mouth makes me scream in pain. It doesn't seem to be as painful as yours, but it's really bothering me. I'm thinking they hit a nerve or something, because they had to drill deep to get the entire cavity. I'm going back to the dentist tomorrow so I'll tell you what he said when I get back.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

air_20 HB User
Hi rEdKiNg'sDrEaM,

I thought I was the only person too that had this type of problem. When they took out my old filling and put in the new one, the pain wouldn't stop. The dentist took x-rays and said there was nothing wrong. Are you having trouble sleeping at night? I also had trouble with hot and cold touching my those teeth. When I went back to the first dentist that did this to me, you had to see his face, it was almost like I was crazy. I never went back to him again (it's not like I wanted him to touch my mouth again anyway). I will tell you that my dentist that I went to since I was younger did a great thing by taking the filling out and putting another one in (usaully doctors don't want to touch what another doctor messed up on). I'll never go to another dentist again. How long ago did you have this done? The pain in my mouth went on and on and on, for about 6 months (until I had the filling taken out). If your dentist doesn't find anything wrong with those teeth (nerve damage ect.) and the pain doesn't get any better, you may want them to take the filling out, but I'd wait a little to see if it gets better first. I took a chance taking mine out, though I had nothing to lose, I don't want to scare you but, when they took the filling out it hurt like he_ _. I don't think this means that you will happen to you, you may have something different wrong with your teeth. I wish you luck when you go to your dentist, please definitely let me know how it goes. Feel better soon!!!!!!

------------------
airees

Old 08-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

Sucha HB User
I had a filling done in February. My dentist had to take out an old one, then replace that one, plus another new one. I never have had any discomfort with fillings other than just the odd feeling at first, and could usually go back to work afterwards, or go on with my daily routine. With this one in Feb, it even hurt a little when he was working on it, which was odd. Then when the novacaine wore off, I almost left work early beacuse I was in pain. It doesn't sound like pain as bad as either of yours, but it lasted for a couple days, gradually tapering off. However, that area is very cold sensitive, and sometimes still feels odd when I bite on it. I probably should have calld him or gone back , but since it did taper off after a few days I didn't. I am going back for a regular cleaning the day after labor day so I'll mention it then. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone....

Old 08-09-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
(female)

air_20 HB User
Hi Sucha,

I wanted to thank you for your reply to my message. I had exaclty the same thing happen to me, it was hurting me alittle while the dentist was taking out my old filling, then when I got home I was in the worst pain (pain that I wouldn't wanna wish on my worst enamy). I also didn't go to work for two days because of the pain in my mouth, ear and down my neck. The shot that he gave me on the side of my mouth made my cheeks swollen for about 3 to 4 weeks, that pain I had from the cavity filling was for around six months . Though, I also got better month by month, (but not enough) the pain kept me from eating and sleeping right (I even had pain drinking room temperature drinks). My dentist still doesn't know what really happened to me. Atleast I'm not http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Thanks again!!!!!

------------------
airees

Old 11-18-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

air_20 HB User
***bump***

Old 11-21-2003, 07:49 AM   #8

AlisonM HB User
Unhappy Re: Major pain with a cavity filling

Hello Airees and all,

I have never joined a forum like this but after doing a lot of reading on this matter and reading some of your stories, I had to join up and post.
I have always had great teeth until my mom gave me an Oral B spinbrush which is only meant to polish. I have very deep grooves in my teeth and didn't realize this and used it as a toothbrush for about a year. I have always gone to the dentist regularly (every 6 mths). Well the last visit I didn't have an x-ray due to being pregnant and then we moved and now I'm with a new dentist who has very up-to-date equipment. He found 7 cavities and I was appauled after only ever having one cavity all my life. (I'm 33) So anyway I had them all filled and to my horror, I've been in some pain ever since. It's been almost 3 months and I have gone back to him and he did another x-ray and said all was well and to use some Sensodyne. That was a joke. Then I went to another dentist and he did an adjustment which seemed to help for a few days though I think it was more of a mental thing. The pain started again.
I know I had the 7 cavities, I'm not denying that fact but I wonder now if the new dentist perhaps drilled too deep or didn't bond the filling correctly or knew he had to drill deep so he'd have to ultimately do a RCT? Dentists are smart people and know that dental pain is very hard to live with. We'll do almost anything to rid ourselves of pain in our teeth.
After reading SO many of these complaints about the white composite fillings, I have to wonder if they really are safe. Are they made of a substance which isn't compatible to many of us? I had one cavity before all my others and it was filled with the amalgam silver stuff and has never given me any problems.
I really don't want to have any fillings removed, nor do I feel I have to pay for an RCT when I've already spent a lot on this treatment yet I'm afraid to go back to the initial dentist for fear he'll screw up again. I think it's horrible that dentists seem to be filling cavities then turning around and recommending RCT's so easily. Like as if you're almost certain to have one sooner or later.
My teeth feel warm and the gumline is warm too which would seem like the sign of an infection yet the x-rays showed nothing. I think I'll wait it out and see if the pain subsides in time. It always seems worse at night as I've heard from others.
But as a sidenote, to those who are experiencing pain after fillings; perhaps all you need is an adjustment which is a filing of the teeth. There is no needle, only a painfree file and a matter of minutes. It is an adjustment of your bite. If the teeth don't line up as they did before, this can cause pain, aches in jaw and head. I only found one website that mentioned this fact as maybe most dentists would rather do an RCT as it costs a great deal as opposed to an adjustment which cost me only $40.
I hope you all feel better soon so we can smile and show off our pearly whites again Thanks, AlisonM

Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
(female)

air_20 HB User
Re: Major pain with a cavity filling

Hi,

I've also had my teeth bite adjusted about 4 times from my dentist (sanded down)...though this definitely didn't help me. I can tell you the pain I was in was SOOO bad I cannot decribe it to anyone...that's how bad it was, I ended up going to two other dentists because the first dentist that did this didn't seem to know what the problem was (even if he did...like I wanted him to touch my mouth again...YEAH RIGHT). So I decided to go to my old dentist that I grew up with (I originally didn't go to him because of insurance reasons) no x-rays showed any problems with me too...all the dentists looked at me like it's all in my head )just because I guess they thought it was just a simple cavity filling to them and the x-rays didn't show anything...so I had to wait to see if the pain would stop...guess what...it didn't. So my dentist FINALLY after six months decided to take the one filling out (because the pain didn't stop), I can't tell you how much I was crying when he was drilling to take the filling out...the dentist said he didn't realize that I was in that much pain...he still to this day doesn't know what happened to me. I can tell you, seeing that other people have had this same problem makes me know that I'm not going nuts...which I thought I was. I can tell you that my tooth is 95% better since they took out that bad filling. I hope NO ONE EVER has to go through what I went through...I REALLY wanted to take the tooth out all by myself because the dentist's weren't helping me at all...I WAS GOING CRAZY. I can tell you that I'm a type of person that can take pain too.

Old 11-23-2003, 05:37 PM   #10
(female)

air_20 HB User

Hi Sucha,
Thanks so much, at the time I thought I was alone and CRAZY...I can tell you this...if your dentist thinks you're crazy too...the same way mine did, print out these messages for him and tell him you're not crazy from big old bad ME

Something happens I think sometimes when they're drilling and don't realize it...even if nothing comes up on their x-rays...your not in pain for nothing. That was one of my worst experiances that I've ever had to go through...and I've gone for a lot of surgeries in mylife time let me tell you. Well, good luck when you do go back to him...please let us know how it goes. Oh, before I forget I also had problems with the cold and hot sensations...until they took out that filling and replaced it...once in awhile now I just get a pain in that area nothing that bad. My teeth were also getting better with time, but not good enough that I could go about my normal life, I can tell you that much...good luck to you and don't let that dentist tell you that nothing's there...if it's hurting you...it's hurting for a reason...your bodies letting you know something. Good luck again!!!!

Old 11-24-2003, 11:40 PM   #11

kfoster HB User

I'm a dental student so I'm going to tackle this one. Okay first of all I'm not a fan-favorite of putting tooth-colored fillings on posterior teeth like you did, but then again it's your mouth you can do what you want. The reason I say this is because tooth-colored fillings have a tendency to leak and let in fluids. Esthestically they may look nice but they are definitely not as strong as an amalgam filling. I have amalgam fillings and I wouldn't even consider getting them out. The first dentist may not have drilled deep enough and may have left some decay down there which might have been causing your problem. The second dentist probably went in and went alittle deeper. He probably placed a base below the filling material which helps out alot.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:23 AM   #12
(female)

air_20 HB User

Hi kfoster,
Thanks for you advice!
The first dentist definitely did something to me when he was putting the shot in the side of my mouth to numb the area, my side of my mouth was killing me for about a month and a half...it was huge on both sides of my mouth almost like he hit a nerve or something (you could even see it...it looked like I had my wisdom teeth taken out again). Even when he was putting the needle in on the side of my mouth it was hurting like you couldn't believe...I don't mind needles either...this was BAD. Also, when he was drilling I couldn't take the pain...I thought at first that he must have been drilling too deep, then after he filled it the pain had continued...my teeth would even hurt when I would touch the tooth, almost like the filling was never put in (I couldn't eat or drink anything near the back of my mouth...even thinking about it would hurt). This first dentist was REALLY, REALLY ruff when he was doing this...do you know what else was weird...he did the cleaning on my teeth about two weeks before and he hurt my mouth so bad that my mouth killing me then for about 1 week...I was told that a dentist isn't supposed to do the cleaning too (dentalhygenist is supposed too) I have really good teeth and gumes too...I don't have anything else wrong with my mouth, this dentist was a nightmare!! I go to my old dentist now...I told him when he took out this old filling that he's a dentist sent from GOD

Old 11-25-2003, 06:19 PM   #13

lILLuSionALl HB User
Smile Re: Major pain with a cavity filling

When your new dentist drill your tooth to remove your old cavity, he probably accidently touched the nerve. That is why your tooth is sensitive when you eat. Why didnt you get a root canal??? That would have save your tooth.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:15 AM   #14
(female)

air_20 HB User

Hi lILLuSionALl,
Thanks for your help
I also thought it was a root canal, though...I didn't have a root canal...both my new and old dentist's took a total of three x-rays to see if there was a root canal...they stated there wasn't any signs of anything. When my dentist that I went to since I was younger took out the white filling (after I had the pain for six months) he put in the silver fillings, then I didn't have the pain anymore in that tooth...I think the white fillings may or may not have something to do with it...both dentist's stated that the filling wasn't deep at all...so they really don't know what happened...I still have the white filling in the other tooth that was also bothering me (the second tooth that had the white filling too, it bothers me once in awhile...if I eat something really hard like hard, it'll hurt). The one filling that was changed to the silver filling now is 95% better. I think if I needed a root canal, I think it would still be hurting like hell right now (but it doesn't)...that's why I don't think it was a root canal...and all the tests they did on me showed that it wasn't a root canal...trust me I was a CRAZY PERSON then and I demanded them to find what the problem was, they did everything and anything (a bunch of tests) also my dentist that I went to is a REALLY, REALLY good dentist in New York...he knows my family and wouldn't let me stay in that kind of pain. I wouldn't with that pain on my WORST enemy.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:17 AM   #15
(female)

air_20 HB User

I wouldn't wish that pain on my WORST enemy!!!

Closed Thread