It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
(male)

scoob8000 HB User
Mold on toothbrush

Has anyone heard of an activly used toothbrush growing mold overnight?

We (Girlfriend and I) have a Oral-B electric toothbrush that we share (seperate heads of course).

This morning we noticed mold, what appears to be black mold growing on and inside the crevices of her brush head.

We are always sure to remove excess water from the brush heads before storing them.

We cleaned the holders and replaced the brush heads, but it still seems kind of odd to me. Also that it only grew on one of the brush heads and not both.

Thoughts, comments, thanks...

Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Mold on toothbrush

I don't use an electric toothbrush, but how often should you be changing the brush heads? My dentist told me to get a new toothbrush every 3 months - as soon as it starts to fray.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
(male)

scoob8000 HB User

I stick with about 3 months for electrics too.. The brush in question isn't even a month old yet..

Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

scoob - I would then definately call the company - if you still have the box that it came in, that would be helpful for bar code, etc. Most companies have consumer lines and they're very helpful. Try to get a new replacement.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
(male)

scoob8000 HB User

Not any longer, out to the trash. It just doesn't make sense why it was only on one of the brush heads. They are not that old, but they're old enough if it was there from the factory it would of shown up before now..

Just too weird...

Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dendeb HB User

Perhaps it happened to hers and not to yours because of the different types of bacteria in your mouths...
Possibly a minute crack almost impossible to see with the naked eye that caused dampness to remain...

I found this interesting:
"Every toothbrush in the household should be kept in a sanitary place totally separate from anyone else's. Toothbrushes should be allowed to air and dry after use---do not put them in cabinet drawers where they can accumulate germs, become infected, cause mold or mildew, or cause other fungus to grow on them---always rinse toothbrushes after use---preferably disinfect them before and after use due to the living germs from the mouth where more bacteria grow than most any other part of the body or environment. "

Also, I have read where some folks recommend that family members should each have their own tube of toothpaste! Not finicky those darn germs and bugs.
Personally, I think that is a bit extreme...
But I have begun trying to disinfect my toothbrush more often.

Cheers,
~Debbie~

Closed Thread