It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Post I want a hamburger :(

I have been wanting a BBQ hamburger so badly lately. It's just not fair.

What I'm wondering is.......shouldn't I be able to eat regular food by now? Perhaps I'm just feeling a little impatient lately... argggg grumble grumble grumble

Briefly......had the teeth (uppers only) pulled June 19, and a reline done one week later, on the 26th. My second reline will probably be done next Monday (July 21).

My teeth still feel secure and are not slipping. However, I still can't really bite into anything. If I try to bite into something on the right side, then the left side lifts (and vice versa). If I try to bite into something using my front teeth, then the back of the dentures lifts. It's frustrating. Today I wanted so badly to just sit and eat a bucket of cherries, but nooooooooo. Just wouldn't work. I had to cut each one away from the darn pit... booo hisss

I think the dentist plans on doing a reline next Monday. Even though my teeth aren't slipping, will the reline help so that I will be able to bit down on something? I want a bbq hamburger sooooo badly and of course, the more I think about, the more I realize that I just have to have it!!! lol

So does this all sound par for the course? or were you able to bite into solid foods much sooner than me? (Tomorrow it will be four weeks since my extractions.)

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:55 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi Marie

You are funny It's good to read that your sense of humor is still intact.

When chewing foods, chew even amounts of food on both sides of your mouth. That should help prevent the dentures from tipping side to side. When you bite with the front teeth you have to use the mouth muscles to grab the denture in the back to prevent it from coming down. I know, easier said than done. Practice biting on soft and brittle foods that don't need a lot of force to break.

It took me almost a month to really be able to chew and 3 months before I could bite into foods with the front teeth. The only way to learn is to try, practice and be patient.

For what it's worth, I'm still trying new foods and experimenting. I haven't had the courage to try a sub yet. All in good time. Patience.

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Yos - I do try to have food placed on both sides of my mouth when I chew, but the problem is with foods like cherries. It just wouldn't work to have more than one in your mouth.

You mentioned that it was 3 months before you could bite into anything using your front teeth. Was that because the back of the denture would lift? Also, was this the case even with softer foods? I guess I had assumed that I would always be able to bite into things right away, provided they were relatively soft (i.e. bananas, cherries). Naturally things like apples or peanut brittle would be a different story...

Didn't you have your hard reline done last month? I would have thought that once that was done, that you'd be able to eat absolutely anything! No?

And yes, I too look forward to my first sub.......yup, a vegy sub, from subway.

THanks again, Yos.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #4

Yos HB User
Hi again Marie,

In time your mouth will learn how to hold the denture in place and you won't even have to think about it. Mine is starting to do that. I bite all kinds of food, just not those more difficult ones like subs. I eat without thinking where I put the food. I don't consiously put food on both sides of my mouth. Keep eating cherries one at a time and your mouth will find a way to deal with it.

Ya, the back of the denture lifting was exactly the problem and at first it didn't matter what kind of food it was. I practiced with thin brittle foods at first like crackers and chips. I progressed up to cookies as my mouth learned how to hold the denture at the back. The more you bite the faster your mouth learns. It's also important that the denture fits fairly well.

The hard reline gives you a good fit. A soft reline does that too. A hard reline doesn't give you magical eating powers The denture only has to fit well to be able to eat easily. But to eat easily you still need to learn how to eat with the denture. The only way to learn is to do it over and over and over again. I still have trouble biting into a burger but it gets easier every time. I'm thinking of trying a sub soon. I'm more afraid of the bread than anything between it. I still find crusty breads difficult to bite and chew. Those kinds of foods are more "grab and pull" rather than biting down to cut through it.

Anyway, you still have to practice patience. The learning curve for dentures isn't steep but it sure is long and slow going. Bit by bit you'll begin to eat the foods you want and crave. Give yourself and your mouth the time to learn and adjust. Try not to rush because it will only lead to disappointment if you try to eat something and can't or get frustrated trying.

In two weeks I'll be at the 8 month mark and I'm still learning how to eat. I'm taking it slow and easy on purpose. I'm not using any adhesives either so I may be a bit slower than most new denturer wearers. You didn't say that you were using an adhesive. You might find eating easier if you do use it. I would rather have my mouth learn to work with the dentures than become dependant on adhesives to keep them in.

Yos

Old 07-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #5
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Yos - Haven't tried any adhesives yet... (I find the denture is fairly secure without using any.) Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks again for all the info. It really does help!

Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #6

Giselle Marie HB User
Talking

Hi everyone, I want a Hamburguer too!!! Im going to have my dentures in a couple of week, hopefully. With the extraccion I can't afford an immediate denture. Now I have a baby like gum. Im only 31. I have my teeth pulled out last week, its going to be a long, long time waiting. I lose 5 pounds yet, and I can only eat blenderized (like baby food)food.Be without teeth is hard, but reading your post keep me with hope!!!!

------------------
Ginger

Closed Thread