It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #1

badsmile HB User
Post New here, Bad teeth, no insurance

Hi, I just found this board today, and I have to say I have felt very alone in my misery. It is nice to read and find out I am not quite as alone as I felt. I have had dental problems as long as I can remember. My mother took some anti-morning sickness medicine, that caused my teeth to have no enamel. I am not sure if this is the case with my adult teeth, but I am so tired of being in pain.
Currently I do not have any dental insurance, I work from home, and my husband works for a company that does not offer insurance.
When i had insurance i began to finally get some work done, I had two back teeth pulled (same on either side) and one wisdom tooth pulled. The worst part is I am only 25 years old.
Now having not seen a dentist for over 2 years my problems have just gotten worse. I have cavities behind 3 of my front top teeth. For awhile i was in denial, I just would refuse to think about them, as if they would go away.
Now it has gotten worse. I have resorted to covering my mouth when i yawn, smile, or laugh. I am so embarrased by my teeth, as i have heard people in the past make fun of people with visable cavities.
I also have a cracked wisdom tooth with no room, that is causing me extreme pain. I cant really take much for it, because i am breastfeeding..so i have been taking 2 tylenol a day, and sometimes its so bad it makes me cry.
I am even ashamed for my husband to see my teeth. I know he has noticed the cavities, but he has never said anything negative, just a comment that i should call around and see a dentist about the wisdom tooth pain.
I feel like everyone see's my gross front teeth and thinks to themselves "sick she doesnt brush" but I really do, everyday..though im bad about flossing.
Im not even sure why im posting, my real question is that about finding insurance..im in PA..and i need to find a dentist, or some kind of insurance for individual. All the policies i have been finding have either a 1 year waiting period for fillings and extractions, or they are just discount programs. If I wait another year, i wont even have front teeth.
I am so sick of having tooth pain, and i feel like if youve never had it, you have no idea how bad it is.
My husband has perfect teeth and has not been to a dentist in about 8 yrs.

I am so tired of feeling ashamed, im even embarrased when i go to the dentist...i feel like they are going "oh gross, i have a story for dinner tonight".

I just wish and wish everyone had free dental coverage, i know silly dreams..
i just dont know what to do. I know we cant afford the full bill of what i probably need done..
okay, sorry for going on and on, its just nice to finally find a place to talk about some of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Inactive

Trishka HB User
Do you live near a University that has a dental school? You can get reduced fees at dental schools. Also, community clinics offer dental services at reduced rates. You might want to look into that.
I know it is defeating and depressing not having insurance, but try to be positive. Maybe get one cavity filled at a time.
Capital One offers a service for dentists and their patients. You can get a loan from Capital One to pay the entire dental bill at low interst or no interest if you pay it off in one year. They pay the dentist and then you make payments to Capital one. Let me know if you want details on the Capital One plan. Good luck.

Closed Thread