It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #1

rileysmom24 HB User
Angry Major sore spots from immediate dentures!

Hi i just wanted to see if anyone had an idea on what to do for some really bad sore spots that I got from immediate dentures. I cant see the dentist for another 2 days and it is now to bad to wear the dentures. Is there something I can do at home to relieve the pain? should I wear the dentures until i see the dentist? also how long should these stiches stay in? will they fall out on thier own?

Old 08-19-2003, 03:51 AM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi Rileysmom,

Call the dentists office and explain your predicament. If needed, insist that they fit you in today because of pain. Most dental office will accommodate a new denturer wearing patient because they know the problem can be solved quickly and easily. Most dental offices *encourage* the patient to come in *anytime* for adjustments of the type you need. Keep the denture in if you manage an appointment to see the dentist today so the sore spots are visible to the dentist. If you can't get an appointment today take them out if they are too painful to wear. If the swelling of your gums is down wearing the denture 24/7 isn't as important as your comfort.

The stitches should come out on their own if they are the disolving type.

Good luck today!

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 06:33 AM   #3

jcoasternut HB User
Definitely go see the dentist. I was was told to come in anytime, no appointment needed if I needed an adjustment. I started taking my upper plate out at night the 10th night. The dentist told me that I could do this after 4 days, but I was afraid that the swelling wasn't over so I waited. I now leave the denture out between 10-12 hours per day, as it gives my bone splinters a rest as well as my gums. Also several bone splinters have worked free while the plate was out. I was like you and my mouth was still very sore at the point you are at. I looked inside with a flashlight and was able to decided what were the sore spots as opposed to sore extraction sites. Adjustments are a necessity in my opinion. Each time I had one it lessened the discomfort greatly. I had one a week the first 3 weeks, then a soft reline at the 3 week mark. The reline made a world of difference !!! From what I gather most dentists do the first soft reline around the 3-4 mark. Good luck !!!

Old 08-19-2003, 06:36 AM   #4

jcoasternut HB User
I forgot to add this: My dentist also recommended using Orabase B paste( over the counter) for sore spots. I only used it once, it worked great. Lasted for hours. He said to put in on the denture where the sore pot was. This is just for temporary relief though, as it is much better to get an adjustment and end the cause of the sore spot.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #5

rileysmom24 HB User
Thanks guys for all the great advice! I called mt denist this morning and insisted that they see me and they did he made two adjustments and im hoping this will help! it is still so sore i cant tell. i also found out the stiches are the disovable kind even though they are driving me nuts! the dentist also gave me some more pain mediccine which i was grateful for! sometimes i think i would rather have an major operation than this done over again lol i was reading the boards and saw something about clove oil? does anyone know where you can buy this and does it work?
Thanks Rileys

Old 08-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #6

Yos HB User
Hi Rileys

I have good news for you. You don't have to go through it again Glad to hear that you got in to see your dentist. If the dentist got the spots on your denture your gums should begin to feel much better soon. Take the denture out for a little while now and then to help speed up the healing of the sore spot.

Yos

Closed Thread