It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 17
BigK7329 HB User
Question Filling Question

Hey I just got back from the dentist a bit ago. Last week I went for a cleaning and he told me I needed to get 5 fillings. Anyways he had me come back today, and I honestly expected him to talk to me about dif types of fillings and such, which never happened. Well he ended up using some silver colored stuff, but honestly it doesn't look like any silver filling i've ever seen.
My main question is, now that the numbing is going away, I have the WORST metalic taste in my mouth... it almost feels like it's going to make me puke the taste is so horrid. Is this because choice of fillings used? Or just the fact that fillings were done. If it's because the type of filling, is this going to go away or do I have to live with this taste. I've heard so many horror stories about silver filling & mercury and I really would have rather paid extra for resin. The fillings were on my 3 rear-bottom right teeth, and my 2 top right molars. Plz, any response is appreciated.

 
Old 08-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,435
rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

You probably have heard of my stories before. It took me many years to link my fibromyaglia symptoms, gum disease, and loose teeth to my mercury fillings.

I've had all white teeth after I had these mercury amalgams removed almost 10 years ago. I've slowly recovered. In 1978 I was told to not run more than a 100 yards by a doctor, and today I run almost 20 miles each week.

For each of us, the tolerance of these fillings may be different. They don't fully understand it. There are also many other factors, like how many of these mercury fillings you have, the composition of these fillings, the ability of your body to remove the mercury once it leaks from the amalgam, and many others. High copper mercury fillings are considered to leak more mercury....

But regardless of whether anyone thinks a person can get sick from this or not, realize this fact. If you have mercury fillings (mercury-silver dental amalgams) in your teeth, you will have mercury throughout your body. Everyone will. This mercury constantly leaks at a slow rate and is accumulated in tissues. Note also that this mercury is one of the most dangerous substances for the human body. It's extremely toxic even in the smallest amounts.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,435
rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I re-read your post, and I'd like to add another comment. One thing that bothers me, in general with dentists, is the fact that a high number of them call these mercury-silver dental amalgams "silver fillings". Mercury is the metal of highest composition in a typical dental amalgam. Why don't they tell us that mercury is in these fillings? Why shouldn't we be given more choices with our dental care? What if we just don't want those gray-black spots in our teeth? All white teeth just look so much better too - and they are durable. I've had mine (eight of them) for almost 10 years, with no problems.

 
Old 08-28-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 101
RubyD HB User
Post

Some states (Maine is one) now have laws where dentists have to discuss the types of fillings they will use and give you a brochure of information to help you make the decision. If you are concerned, it wouldn't hurt to write your Representatives and ask them to make such a law.

I don't know about the metallic taste. I'd call the dentist and ask what to do. I wouldn't "live with" the taste... I'd either figure out what it was and have it corrected. I had a lot of silver fillings over the years and never had a metallic taste -- the only times I have ever had a metallic taste were when I had sometime stuck in my teeth that eluded my floss -- a few days of hydrogen peroxide rinses usually cleared it up. But it was not as intense as you describe.

Call the dentist, and if he/she won't help you, call another one and get another opinion.

 
Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
Mara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Did he fill all in one visit? Did he give you novacaine? I have had a bad metalic taste a couple times. When I had facial nerve problems I had a bad taste in my mouth-then everything tasted bad (even water). When the nerve function improved so did my sense of taste. The other time (more recent)was as I chewed-it came from the left side-first molar. Since then, that tooth has been chipping away in pieces (tmjd) however I no longer have that metallic taste. Blood can have a metallic taste too. I notice that if my gums bleed.

 
Old 08-28-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 17
BigK7329 HB User
Smile

well the taste is pretty much gone. and all in all i feel pretty good. next step is seeing the ortho next Thursday which should be loads of fun, lol. thanks for the responses. since the fillings are in the rear teeth, i really dont notice it unless I mean to which is a good thing i guess. i still wish he would have discussed it a bit more with me, because money wasn't an issue.

anyways, i have one other question. is it possible to have these fillings removed? I mean, in 2-3 years once i'm done with the orthodontics, if i want white fillings, is that possible? or does there have to be a health problem for them to be taken out. i'd rather have silver in my teeth than extractions or anything. thanks again for the replies.

 
Old 08-29-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,435
rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Yes, it's possible to have white fillings put in at a later date. Some dentists might think it would further damage the teeth, but if the tooth structure is sound, and you have a good cosmetic dentist, I would think that they could do a good job. It's a matter of discussing it with a dentist that you feel comfortable with - that you want to do it for cosmetic reasons (if that's your intent). Of course, regardless of whether this mercury causes you to be sick or not, you also may not want additional mercury to circulate around your body too.

As I've written before, for most people there doesn't seem to be a reason to panic. (I got slowly sick over many years - not quickly - but in rare cases some people get sick very fast from what I've read.)

Some people are apparently more sensitive to these dental amalgams than others, and it often takes years for this mercury to accumulate in the tissues - to the point where they cause the body to react. High copper amalgams will leak more mercury, although. If you are one of those people that don't develop gum disease, loose teeth and fibromylagia symptoms, then you probably can just have the "change-over" to cosmetic ones at your convenience, somewhat later in the future. You'll know something is wrong, if you suddenly start developing unexplained headaches, muscle aches, and urinary problems etc.

If you decide to get white fillings in the future, you might want to take some compatibility tests for these dental restoration materials. I would suggest getting the best durable materials and getting a dentist that is really good at putting these white fillings in. It makes quite a bit of difference, to get this done right, so that you don't have other dental problems in the future.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Filling came loose, how long till infection? jujumbura Dental Health 1 08-25-2009 10:32 AM
Failing composite filling onthetopo Dental Health 4 06-27-2009 08:35 PM
Question about a filling. lovinthev8 Dental Health 4 01-07-2007 07:24 AM
for anyone who has had a deep filling kellie2 Dental Health 2 08-04-2006 04:21 PM
deep filling still hurting, I have a question? cb50 Dental Health 7 06-21-2006 10:00 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Gellia (58), slenderella (25), riptoff (15), janewhite1 (13), Elizabetho (12), Sandybeech (11), Titchou (10), armywife2007 (7), tanyasue (7), WW2ER (7)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1011), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (761), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!