It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 04:25 AM   #1

ddeva HB User
Unhappy In agony, what would you do? Extraction or?

Last December, I had two wisdom teeth removed (lower). During the procedure, the dentist cracked a 1/4 of the tooth next to one off (1/4 chip was already gone, so I had half a tooth left.)

This resulted in needing a root canal on the lower right side, tooth furthest back. First root canal failed, had a re-do, but I still was experiencing pain. This tooth currently has a temporary crown. My dentist assures me this root canal is 'good' but...

... that I need a root canal in the tooth next to the tooth that already had a root canal. My insurance returns in October (I have been without any for a few months). But I am in abject pain all of the time! I don't know if I can wait, and I think the tooth has become absessed. (Serious swelling of the jaw and gums within the last 48 hours.)

I am considering an emergency extraction of a very large molar. My dentist did not want to do the procedure . Should I get this tooth extracted elsewhere? Will an extraction disturb the temporary next to it?

I can afford an extraction, maybe even the stitches, but I cannot afford another root canal and two permanent crowns until my dental insurance kicks in.

What would you do?

Old 08-27-2003, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
I would get a second opinion, if they can pull wisdom teeth then that molar should not be a huge deal and you will be better off pain-wise in the long run. In addition, have you been recompensed for the damage done to the tooth when the dentist pulled the last wisdom tooth? It doesn't seem right that you should pay for this on your own if the damage was inflicted by the dentist in the first place!

Also if there is an abcess you WON'T be able to have it extracted immediately, the danger of infection & blood poisoning is far higher that way.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 11:02 PM   #3

ddeva HB User
Unhappy

The dentist who did my wisdom tooth extraction would not accept liability for any cracked teeth. He made me sign to that effect. Because the tooth was already broken, it was 'at risk' and just gave during the procedure .

My agony continues...

I went to see a different dentist on Wednesday the 27th. I asked for an extraction, but he convinced me to do the first half of a root canal, and wait till October (when my insurance kicked in) to do the second half.

I begged him to get me out of pain -- begged him! -- and asked if the procedure would get me out of pain -- he said yes.

Well, no. My tooth now hurts worse than ever. I'm taking Vicadin, but even the Vicadin doesn't last from one dose to the next.

I paged the dentist on Friday afternoon and apparently I needed an emergency draining. But my dentist was on holiday for Labor Day weekend, and he wouldn't be back until Tuesday.

I called the dentist he referred me too -- they wanted $325 out-of-pocket to remove the temporary filling to the drain tooth! That's outrageous!

Needless to say, I could not afford the procedure and have to wait for my dentist to get back. Everyone is closed until Tuesday.

This has totally spoiled our holiday weekend. I'm roaming the house at 1am in the morning with no end in site to the pain. Though I'm taking antibiotics too, there just doesn't seem to be an end to this nightmare. I keep waking my poor son up, and his father has had to take over his care this weekend -- on a holiday no less! So much for getting me out of pain .

And my dentist vacations in a cottage in the North this weekend. Seems a bit ironic. Forgive me, I'm in a bad mood from the pain .

Old 08-30-2003, 11:46 PM   #4

rileysmom24 HB User
hi there,
I hope you feel better, if it was me i would go to the emergency room and ask for a shot of something. I had to do that one time with a toothache. I was in so much pain all i could do was scream into a pillow! thats when i went to the er and they gave me a shot of Demerol! I felt much better!

Old 08-31-2003, 12:02 PM   #5

Emi001 HB User
Hi!
I feel for you cuz from mid 2001-early 2002 I went through HELL jumping dentist to Dentist.
I ended up having to pull the teeth I got RC.
One time It was sooooo bad..that i ended up going the hospital ER who had dental to get it pulled.
If I were you GO and get it taken care of. I know how you are feeling.. No one should be in pain.
I was taking sooo much Meds it's was to the point I was sick of it.
Good luck!

Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 AM   #6

sirius HB User
Red face

what is half of a root canal?
I don't understand if one part of your nerve is showing or one canal how the heck do they get into the other canal where your tooth is to pull that pulp out?
YALL are scaring the poo out of me.

Blessings and hope you feel better soon.

------------------ about me.....

I am going to the endodontist today.
I am very scared. My tooth 31 I think bottom molar closest to wisdom tooth...cracked then now I have about 1/2 of it left. The half gone part is closest to the wisdom tooth.

My dentist recommended I try to save the tooth.
Currently I am not in pain. If I try to eat something and accidentilly get something stuck in there it throbs like hell.

so I have been swishing with water every time that occurs and eating slowly on the other side of my mouth since december. I have no endodontist insurance and the dr recommended someone not on my list under the PLAN unicare 200 I have.

Old 09-02-2003, 03:06 AM   #7

sirius HB User
Unhappy

How much does a root canal cost?

what does half of root canal mean?
ahhhh

Old 09-02-2003, 10:02 AM   #8

ddeva HB User
Unhappy

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare anyone. If you've had a root canal before, your dentist may have drilled a hole through your tooth, filed the roots thoroughly clean, packed the canals with medication (to kill bacteria, etc.), then closed the hole with a temporary filling.

The second part is when you return in a week, have the temporary removed, get the 'real' permanent packing inserted, have another temporary filling applied, then wait 30 days to get a crown put on. It's not really as scary as it sounds.

The morning after I posted, the searing pain finally died down and was reduced to a dull yet painful ache. However, I now wake up every morning with a throbbing headache that dies down just a little after taking Vicadin. I just ran out of Vicadin and will be switching to Aleve.

At least the dentist had the courtesy of having his assistant call me as soon as they got in this morning. (Usually it's the other way around!) She wanted to make sure I was okay. When I told her about the pain level, she said I could try to wait it out till October (insurance month), but that I have to come in right away if the searing pain returns.

At least I feel confident their office won't charge me $325 for the 'draining' procedure, ugh! Talk about taking avantage of someone in pain.

[This message has been edited by ddeva (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-02-2003, 10:06 AM   #9

ddeva HB User
Thumbs down

In my area, a whole root canal (not including crown) costs between $800 and $1000. Sears sometimes runs specials for $600, but with a 24% interest rate on their card, it's no savings.

Crowns run from $800-$1200. It pays to shop around and check backgrounds through the Dental Association websites.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #10

sirius HB User
Unhappy

ok so i went to a dentist
then sent to an endodontist
whom now wants me to see a periodontist

my 31 molar is cracked/ exposed cave like...my nerve is showing.

my three options are
1. root canal (ENDO)
GUM SURGERY (CROWN EXTENSION)PERIODONTIST
CROWN (DENTIST)

2.eXTRACTION
IMPLANT

3. EXTRACTION
BRIDGE

I DONT LIKE THREE...
IM CURIOUS OF THE PRICES ON ONE AND TWO...2 ALMOST SEEMS BETTER THAN HAVING A TOOTH FEEL ALL FUNKY AND GET INFECTED IDK
):

I HAVE UNICARE 200 NO INSURANCE...WOULD BUY OR GO TO AN EASTERN STATE TO GET GOOD TREATMENT...

I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE TO HAVE GUM SURGERY..THAT SOUNDS EXPENSIVE...JUST TO HAVE THE CROWN SIT RIGHT.):

[This message has been edited by sirius (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-02-2003, 03:59 PM   #11

sirius HB User
ddeva did u get your tooth drained? Hope you are ok.

Closed Thread