It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 AM   #1

shealy88 HB User
Question Wisdom Teeth Removal and Valium

I am scheduled to have all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out on August 25th. My Oral Surgeon already gave me two valium pills. One to take the night before and one to take the morning of. Has anybody else ever had this given to them as well? I am also going to have general anesthesia. It just seems like so much medicine. He said he was giving me the valium pills so that I would be nice and relaxed by the time the surgery started. I am also so nervous about this procedure. Any suggestions or help to ease my anxiety?!?!? I would appreciate it so much!

------------------
I realize that to question is how we grow.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #2

Monkey1* HB User
I was not given Valium before my wisdom teeth were removed two weeks ago. I did have the "laughing gas" when I went in, but it sure didn't make me laugh. Maybe that was instead of Valium. I certainly wouldn't think you'd need both!! I was so nervous, in fact, I started crying when they inserted the IV (because I was nervous, not because it hurt that much), but then I was completely out. I've read about being given Valium before the surgery, but I don't personally know anyone who has had it.

My teeth were all erupted and fully developed, so they just pulled them right out. I didn't have any jaw pain or anything. The sites were tender, of course. It is two weeks later, and I have holes that stuff gets stuck in, but they're slowly filling in.

Good luck! You'll be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #3

shealy88 HB User
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I guess you are right about the Valium maybe being used instead of the gas. When I was in my consultation, the surgeon didn't mention anything about gas before the IV. I have only even had blood eztracted once (when I was sick). So the IV part does sort of wig me out, but I am more nervous about the aftermath. You were lucky that your were all erupted - I have heard that that is better. Too bad all of mine are impacted. I guess I just have to deal. Thanks again. Any words help right now.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #4

Shaman HB User
I've been given valium before extensive dental work. I'm actually a big fan. I don't think it is overkill at all. The valium makes it much more pleasant for everyone involved. It will help you to get some sleep the night before and make the morning of seem a lot less stressful.

Why suffer pre-surgery jitters if you don't have to?

Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 PM   #5

Random01234 HB User
hi there,
I am having all of mine pulled this friday and I was also given the vallium to take (1 pill the night before, 2 the morning of) I've taken it before and it really really helps if you are nervous. It just makes you feel kinda tipsy.. you are still fully aware of whats going on, you just don't care all that much. If you don't wnat to take them, you really don't have to just make sure they know you didn't. The surgeon doing mine said he prescribes them to people who are really nervous and need somethign to calm them enough to get their butts in the office. Don't worry about being over drugged, they know what they are doing! I'm so worried about the actual procedure, risks, pain, ect, I just wish I had the pills to take all week! Good luck with everything!

Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 AM   #6

shealy88 HB User
Thanks so much (Shaman and Random01234) for reassuring me about the valium issue. I am no longer worried about it. I was very anxious at the surgeon's office so that is probably why they gave me the pills. I am sure it will help out especially the morning of.
Good luck to you Random01234. Try to check in next week after your surgery so that I can find out how it went. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:25 PM   #7

xavier213 HB User
I've had it several times and it had NO effect on me at all! Before a root canal my dentist asked me if I had really taken the Valium or not since I was still so worked up! I guess it just doesn't work on some people, but for most people it does help relax and them and you will be able to sleep before the surgery.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran

strand3d HB User
I was also given Valium to take an hour before i had my wisdom teeth pulled. I had never had it before but i can tell you i was VERY relaxed, which was a big plus for me because i was very scared. I was also given gas, and then put to sleep. I don't think it was over kill. I woke up feeling rather good. good luck!

Old 09-05-2003, 04:17 PM   #9

diane synder HB User
anybody every been given consious iv sedation, can you feel them pulling and yanking at your teeth?

Closed Thread