It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #1

kimmaklyn1 HB User
Question New Dentist, Pulled Wisdom Tooth, and No Instructions for Care

I had one fully erupted wisdom tooth (that was causing no problems in and of itself) pulled today. My new dentist pulled the upper right. It was supposedly causing a problem for the lower right.

I think the lower right wisdom tooth - which is only partially erupted - is infected... But my dentist said it is not infected and that the pain was from the lower right continuing to erupt, and, consequently, I was biting the heck out of my sore, swollen cheek with the upper right tooth. How this was causing pain in my jaw and throat and glands in my neck, I cannot figure out. The pain was so severe that after only two days, it no longer responded to 600mg of Ibuprofin from a simple swollen cheek, mind you.

The dentist's first piece of advice was to pull the lower right, whose root is all twisted (I forget what that's called), and it could have taken a LONG time to extract and to recover. Since my schedule won't allow for a prolonged recovery until December, I asked what other options I had.

He said, live with the pain and weak pain medication until my schedule permits me to have all four removed or have the top one pulled.

I opted for the quick and easy way out. It came out in 30 seconds. My dentist said I would not need any pain medication for it besides tylenol or ibuprofin. But he gave me tylenol with codeine to be taken every four hours for the pain in my jaw, cheek, and neck until it heals.

It has been 2 1/2 hours since I took my first dose and I want another. I did not receive any instructions on care of these wounds (hopefully and oversite by the receptionist). I do not know what I can eat, when to change the gause, how long I will bleed, WHEN WILL I STOP HURTING!!! Now the dentist's office is closed. Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 09:09 PM   #2

bpatrick HB User
Here'e a note I gave someone in another post.

Make sure you read the Post-Oral surgery instructions. I just read them. You're supposed to remove the cotton swabs they put in your mouth 30 minutes after surgery. Then apply ice packs to both sides of your mouth. 20 min on 20 min off until bedtime. Continue in the morning with the ice 20 min on 20 min off until 24 hours have passed after surgery. That's what my instructions say. Also according to my instructions "12 hours after surgery dissove exactly one level teaspoon of salt into an 8 ounce glass of warm (not hot) water. Allow water to remain in your mouth but do not rinse it around vigorously as this may disldge the blood clot and may delay healing".

Also according to my instructions.
Diet: A nutritionally balanced diet is very important. During first 24 hours eat soft foods. Meats, vegetables and fresh fruit can be put in a blender. Gradually progress to solid food. Don't skip meals. If you take nourishment regularly , you'll feel better, gain strenth , have less discomfort and heal faster.

Swelling: After 24 hours if there is swelling or jaw stiffness, apply heat to the outside of your face using a warm , moist dressing. If you use a hot water bottle or heating pad, first coat the skin with petroleum jelly. THen put on a thin towel and finally apply heat. Do not use heat continuously. - Only 20 min out of every hour.

Siff Jaw: Chew gum at intervals especially whil applying wet heat on jaw. This helps relax and brings relief.

First 2 or 3 days:
Suck on ice chips or crushed ice. This thins out the saliva , keep s the surgery site cold and helps reduce swelling.

Hope that helps. God bless you and help you. I still have pain(I had 4 wisdom teeth out Friday) but I'm not taking pain medication because it's keeping me awake and I have to take sleeping meds so I'm just going to try and tough it out if I can. I have been taking Vicadin (only once a day) for the past 3 days.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 AM   #3

kimmaklyn1 HB User
Question

Thank you for your reply bpatrick. I hope you feel better soon!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how you brush your teeth in this condition. It is so painful for me to open my mouth all the way to brush my molars, even the uneffected side.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Closed Thread