It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 05:49 AM   #1

terri510 HB User
Unhappy Advice needed

I don't know if anyone here can help me or not, but I'm going to give it a shot.
I am a single 39 year old mother. As a child, my mother could not afford to get me dental care as I needed. When she remarried, and there was insurance, I was able to have the dental care. As an adult, I have never had a job where there was dental coverage and I could never make enough to pay a dentist to take care of my teeth.
The few times I went to the dentist as an adult, the dentist ended up making things worse instead of better. Example: Had a root canal done, he didn't tell me I had to have a cap, root canal was a waste of time and money since the tooth had to be pulled eventually. When cleaning my teeth, they would do it so hard, other teeth would be chipped and they are now part of the problem.
I now have a full mouth of bad teeth. I rarely open my mouth at all except to eat because I look horrible. My daughter is embarrassed by the way I look when I talk to her friends, and to be honest, I am so depressed, I don't know what to do. I can't afford a dentist. Without getting something done, I can't get a job. I went to 4 interviews on one job, a very good position, and on the 4th interview, they said they couldn't hire me since I would be facing the public every day. My teeth being in the shape they are in, I can't do that. My job history requires me to see people. And talk. So, for the past year, I have done nothing but sit in my house and hurt from bad teeth, and cry for not being able to be outgoing like I used to be. My fiance just filed bankruptcy to keep his house, so he can't help either. I need to be out working and helping with the bills. And I am scared to leave my front door. The worst of it came when I went to a new doctor 4 months ago for a regular checkup. He spent the entire time at the visit making comments about how bad my teeth looked, do they hurt...i need to get them fixed, etc..., by the time I left, I was in tears and swore I would not go anywhere else again...even a doctor. There is no such thing as free dental care, at least not for the kind of work I will require. I can't get a job to pay for the work being done until the work is done and someone will hire me. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?
Oh, and no, I can't get any credit anywhere. My deceased husband ruined my credit and until the estate is settled, the credit can't be cleared.
Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 06:22 AM   #2

bluejeanbaby HB User
Smile

Hi Terri,

It sounds to me (not an expert) that your best recourse may be to have the teeth pulled and falsies (!) made. On the other hand it may not be as bad as you think! Ask around and maybe a friend has a sympathetic dentist who would take you on and let you make monthly payments- and once you've got a job you will be able to increase the payments to him/her.

Good luck- these things always work out- don't give up!

Old 09-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #3

kimmaklyn1 HB User
Lightbulb

I don't know how well this will work, but I think it's worth a shot. Have you tried contacting the Department of Human Services (aka "Welfare Department") in your area for insurance (aka the "Medical Card")? Even if you have a job, you may be eligible for this service. It just depends on how much money you make. You usually have to be a parent of someone under age 18 OR under 22 and in school. Also, you said you had a fiance... Fair warning is they'll probably want to take his income into consideration if they know you two are living together. Of course, some of these factors may vary from state to state. I am currently a 24 year old full-time student and single mother of two, and I worked a few years ago for quite sometime before returning to college. I currently receive the medical card for myself and my children. It pays for EVERYTHING. In fact, I just got my wisdom tooth pulled today! The way I see it, I paid taxes just like everyone else (and will do so when I get my degree), so why not use the services the government has, if I need them?

Old 09-08-2003, 02:51 PM   #4

Shaman HB User
Might I suggest that you contact the Florida Dental Association? They run a program called "Project Dentists Care" which has set up free or low cost dental clinics all over FL. Some of them require you to prove poverty level income to qualify and are completly free, others seem to be on a sliding scale and ask for donations of whatever you can manage. Geography is not my strong suit, but it appears to me that some of them are quite close to you.

Although they are far away, you also could contact the two dental schools in FL in Gaines***** and Fort Lauderdale. Brevard County Commu nity College also has a dental assisting program which seems to be affiliated with a free or low cost clinic.

You seem to have many many options to explore before you can say there is no help out there. Good luck and I hope this helps to get you started.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #5

terri510 HB User
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I was not aware of the "Project Dentists Care" in Florida. I will certainly check into that. As for getting a medical card, they only cover the bare minimum of dental services here. In Florida, when on the medicaid program, you have to go through a private company that they are partnered with to get dental coverage. They will do cleanings, a couple of extractions, etc..., but nothing at all that really helps once you already have a problem. It is just for preventive care, I guess.
Again, thank you all.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 PM   #6

Natacha HB User
I agree with the person who suggested the extraction and immediate dentures, they are a last resort, but you would need work that requires fists of money and who has that? Oprah, I guess. Anyways, did I make you smile a bit there? I hops so. Because you need to get smiling again. Dentures will give you a whole new look. But, it won't be an easy road to take, expect some adjustment and a bit of discomfort. Take care!

Closed Thread