It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 04:26 PM   #1

diane synder HB User
Post sept . 11

i have to go to the dentist to get 2 molars out and 3 wisdoms any every had consious iv sedation if so can you feel them pulling and yanking at your teeth during the procedure?

Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #2

Shaman HB User
Diane,

When you have IV sedation they give you a drug to relax you. One of the "side effects" of the drug is amnesia. Therefore, you don't remember anything about the treatment. I have had IV sedation twice, and both times it was a very pleasant experience. Once they start the IV it only takes a few seconds to take effect and the next thing you know, they are finished.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #3

diane synder HB User
thanks shaman for sharing that information with me i appreciate it a hold lot because havent ever had this done before.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #4

Random01234 HB User
Cool

Hi Diane,

I had 6 wisdom teeth (yeah, 6 and i think 4 were impacted) and a second molar all pulled about a month ago. The thing I was most afraid of was the sedation, but I obviously didn't want to have that much done awake. Hundreds of people told me its nothing, dont be afraid but of course I still was lol. Anyways, I am still thankful for all of the reassurance I got here!!

You will not remember anything. Most people just assume they were under general if they went to "sleep", but most dental offices can't even put you under general (general usually has to be done in a hospital for safety reasons) You won't feel any pain, pulling, yanking, tugging, or hear ANYTHING. If you are nervous ask them to prescribe vallium or something similar. They let me take it the night before and the morning of. It makes it so you really just dont care about whats going on. When I woke up I actually felt less groggy than I did when I got to the office (because of the vallium) After they just let me sit in a little room with a blanket and pillow and my boyfriend for as long as I wanted and then let him take me home. I don't remember anything that happened for about an hour after I came out of the surgery(I guess the doctor had a 20 min coversation with me explaining that it was harder than he thought, that he had to remove some of my jawbone, and wanted me on anti biotics, post-op instructions ect) So make sure that whoever is with you listens to what they have to say.

I was fully aware of where I was when I woke up (Thats what I was really afraid of) I didn't want to wake up crying and confused. I actually woke up walking down the hall? humm.. that confused me a bit. Bascially, you are responsive even though you aren't aware that you are responding.

I felt 100% fine when I got home. My mouth didn't even feel numb (I found out it was when I tried to drink water though haha). I was eating the same day and really had little to no pain. I had very minor swelling and no brusing. MAKE SURE YOU USE LOTS OF ICE it is really a lifesaver. I was able to go out the night after the surgery. I didn't need any pain medication other than over the counter stuff for the first two days. Take it easy though, beacuse I pushed myself too hard and ended up in pain on the third day. The absolute WORST part of it was taking antibiotics because they upset my stomach (hopefully that is comforting, you probably won't even need them!)

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to reassure you. There is nothing to worry about with the IV sedation. If you need anything else answered just let me know! I'm sure you will do great.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #5

diane synder HB User
but random im having consious iv sedation so will it be a difference will i feel pressure pulling or yanking ? please tell me everything you know about the procedure i having it tomorrow at 10 am sept 11

Old 09-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #6

diane synder HB User
random you dont know how much this means to me thanks i glad you made the long post thanks for sharing and taking your time to share with me about iv sedation .

Old 09-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #7

Natacha HB User
Many people tolerate the IV sedatin wonderfully. There are many people who talk during the surgery and who appear to be alert. However, they are not able to remember this later due to the amnesia. You won't actually be unconscious, but you would never know the difference as you will seem to fall asleep and wake up again. Be aware though, if you are having three wisdom teeth out, you will be profoundly frozen afterwards, as they will still place local anesthesia after you are sedated. Your mouth will feel like it doesn't belong to you for a few hours, but that's a good thing. Often these surgeries only take 20 minutes or so. Good luck! I've had it done, no sweat. Oh, also, some females tend to be a bit emotional after as a result of the drug.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #8

Natacha HB User
Diane, conscious IV sedation is exactly what random is talking about. You ARE conscious, but you are not aware of anything that is going on at all. You will remeber this, a person placing an IV into your arm, some mention of the procedure and drugs, some reassurance and then you will be feeling as though you are waking up and there you will be, minus a few teeth of course! NO yanking, no pulling no tugging etc. I hope you feel better.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #9

diane synder HB User
thank you guys so much for you help and reassurance and sharing your experiences with me i had all 5 teeth extraction this morning at 10 am it seem like it just took 2 seconds i didnt feel nothing thank god all i remember is telling them i was afraid the assistant told me i had nothing to worried about and then oral surgeon came in and ask me too and the assistant put gas on me the oral surgeon had my other arm and put the iv in my arm next thing i know i was knockout then they woke me up and they were all finish i have to say this is best expereience i ever had at the dentist.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #10

diane synder HB User
random shaman and natacha thank you so much you all were right about the whole thing maybe god bless all of you guys you dont know how much it help me i glad they have forums here , it was a funny thing when i got to the office i was shaking and crying i even had my headphones on listen to music plus i spend nights restless thank god it is over know , know i can go to bed bye bye wisdoms and bad molars lol

Closed Thread