It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User
Unhappy chronic mercury poisoning

HELP! For two years I have felt horrible ALL tests come back normal. I've been tested for everything. I have a mouth full of silver and a metallic taste all the time. Also a host of auto immune symptoms. Help please. Will a blood test determine mercury poisoning or should I ask for something else?

Old 09-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

There are blood tests, urine tests, and hair tests for mercury poisoning.

I believe that the hair tests are most accurate of the three choices. The reason is that (from what I remember reading many years ago), is that some people accumulate mercury quite easily - much more so than the general population - and also subsequently they don't release it quite as fast. So, they may show low mercury counts in their blood and urine. But that doesn't help them know the mercury levels in the tissues - for it may be very high indeed. But the hair tests, let you know the level of all sorts of metals and minerals etc. that have accumulated (at least in the hair). I don't know if it's the best way, but I think it's better than the blood or urine tests.

Since this is from my memory from so many years ago, please research this further to verify. There may be other tests too now for this that I'm not aware of.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

I also just read, that in one case, even hair tests were not reliable for everyone. Apparently, it's easier to test people for acute mercury poisoning, rather than for chronic mercury poisoning. One reliable and conclusive test for chronic mercury poisoning may not be available. (Please verify, if this is true.) It may take a number of different tests, and a judgement call from a qualified physician to determine the high likelihood of chronic mercury poisoning from dental amalgams and other sources.

I read that some people also use skin patch tests, but that may not be good either for all people. There's tests with natural chelators, that doctors may administer to study the results under a controlled environment.

I just relied on how I felt after my tooth broke, exposing one amalgam, as I wrote previously. Plus I had all the classic symptoms. I'm glad I didn't go through all those tests. I just wanted the mercury to go - to be gone forever.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User
Unhappy

Rhody,

Could you please tell me a little about your symptoms, what you went through and how you feel now. Thank for all of your help, I feel very alone in this.

Thank you.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Yes, I can write some about it. I've written about it so many times, that many people probably still remember.... This affected me, much more than 20 years. I discovered this link of illness to dental amalgams, after much reading and personal experimentation.

When I was in my teens I started with gum disease on occasion. First, I just went to the doctor. This gum disease would spread like "wild fire". Then I learned later to control it with salt water rinses. When I was about 27 years old, I found that I could not run more than a mile a week, without pain near some joint. After exercising, the pain would come. In 1978 a doctor (when I was just a few months shy of my 28th birthday) told me that I was too old, too fat, to take 10 aspirins a day, and to not run more than a hundred yards.

Over the years, urinary problems persisted, making you feel that you always had to go all the time - getting worse each year. Then the periodic headaches started. Then I had lower back pains. To alleviate these lower back pains, I used to have to elevate my feet at times while trying to sleep, or curl up in the fetal position. One of the interesting characteristics of this for me what periodic chest pains. These would hurt so bad, that I wondered if I could breathe or not. I thought that if I had these pains in public, and someone saw me grimacing, that they might call an ambulance. It was near the heart. I learned later, that calcium pills helped, or taking giant deep breaths to the extreme to stretch the chest wall. These chest pains would last about a half hour to one hour in duration...and then finally slowly go away.

About the late 1980's, I got so sick that I wanted to die. The anxiety increased to the point, that I just wanted out. All the time, I fought this with health foods, but something was slowly "killing" me. Then about that time, after doctors could do nothing or make me worse, I started making my own herbal teas - very large batches. This helped, and if I took too much of these teas, I would get a large rash, near where there were these urinary problems - so that no-one could see. I slowly improved with these herbal teas, and I increased my emphasis on a healthy diet and nutrition - even at one point taking bee pollen.

About 10 years ago, my back tooth broke and exposed one amalgam. My pains went "through the roof". I had intense headaches that Dristan would not take away. I had horrible back pains and neck pains. None of my health "tricks" worked (with herbs and nutrition etc.). I had some tingling on the end of my hands, one time while at work. I knew I was in trouble, so I called the local hospital. They said they knew nothing about treating people that might be reacting to dental amalgams as I was, but suggested that I talk to a research center.

I then went to a naturopath, to test for compatability for new "white" fillings. I just decided to have all of these mercury fillings removed, rather than just to be tested by doctors who seem to know so little about this.

I'll stop now, and if you have more questions, I'd be glad to help. It's hard to explain something that happened to me over so many years. I've left so many things out - so that this story for you and others is not too long.

I now run nearly 20 miles a week. All of those fibromyalgia symtoms are nearly all gone, except for rare occasions when I push myself too hard with work or exercise. My teeth tightened very quickly after I had the mercury fillings removed. That was the first noticeable large improvement. I found that my herbs still help, but I rarely have to take them any more. I used to take them almost daily, but this year, I've probably only taken them for maybe 10 days so far. I consume raw cilantro with my food too. Cilantro is not recommended until the amalgams are removed.

I hope that helps.

Are your symptoms somewhat the same? How long have you had health problems, that lead you to suspect problems with mercury poisoning from mercury-silver dental amalgams?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #6

Natacha HB User
To help calm your fears, there is NO PROVEN EVIDENCE to support that amalgam fillings are responsible for mercury poisoning. There are actually some dentists, who handle amalgam every day in their work, that test lower in mercury that many people who eat a diet with a lot of seafood. And actually, having your amalgam filling taken out can cause more mercury exposure in some cases. When the amalgam is packed into the tooth, it is condensed and stable. It adheres to the rest of the contents in a silver filling. But, once you start to drill that out, the exposure can increase as it disrupts the bonds of the amalgam, I hope this makes sense. Try looking at the American Dental Association and The Canadian Dental Assocation websites for theie position on amalgam fillings and mercury toxicity and you will se that it is a common fad lately to believe there are such high risks associated with these fillings.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

There's also no SCIENTIFIC PROOF that mercury-silver dental amalgams are safe either for everyone. That's a fact.

The fact is this: If you have mercury-silver dental amalgams in your teeth, you have mercury circulating throughout your body. It does accumulate. Mercury is one of the most poisonous substances known to mankind.

Let's at least clear things up a bit. Let's start by calling them mercury fillings or mercury-silver dental amalgams instead of silver fillings since more mercury is present in these dental amalgams. I'd like to see these associations start with that. Let's start informing people the truth...so that we can make an informed decision of whether we want these toxins in our teeth.

Associations can say they're safe (without any tangible evidence) all they want, but a lot of us just don't want these ugly gray-black poisons in our teeth. Thank goodness there are a lot of good cosmetic dentists that are changing that for a lot of us. We want healthy white teeth, not teeth speckled with dark metallic colors.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 PM   #8

Natacha HB User
Rhody, you are very correct that there is no evidence that they are safe either, but THERE IS evidence that there is more exposure when removed. My best advice for you and anyone else who is interested, and I am a dental professional so I am armed with the facts on this topic, is to ask for white fillings when you need new ones and have the amalgam fillings replaced as they are needed rather than all in one shot as you could cause yourself more exposure if that is what concerns you. I agree that they are ugly, they are very ugly in fact. But as far as informed decisions go, did you know there is formaldehyde in white fillings? It really is the lesser of two evils. I myslef, would choose white, only because I think my vanity would win out in this case. there is in fact, no evidence to support a theory of mercury poisoning however, and I was only trying to ease the writer's fears, my purpose was not to persuade.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Do all white fillings contain formaldehyde? Doesn't it depend on what type of white filling you have placed in your teeth? I believe that I had porcelain fillings, which are made from feldspar (a type of silicate), kaolin (another silicate), and metal oxides. Are not aluminum and titanium and other metals present as part of a mineral compound, but not as individual elements? These porcelain fillings, I believe, do not contain formaldehyde. Then, there's also the cementing agents. There are different kinds too.

I went to a naturopath to test for my compatability for these dental restoration materials. I don't know if the tests were sound, but that was the direction that I took at that time. So far, I've had these white fillings for almost 10 years with absolutely no problems. I understand that porcelain fillings are more expensive, and they take more time to put in. But to me, it was well worth it. They are very durable. It took about 3 months for me to completely change over to white teeth, quadrant by quadrant.

Yes, a lot of exposure of mercury can result from the removal of these mercury fillings, but this is a "one time" occurrence (hopefully). (Also we mustn't forget to tell people to use a dental dam and have good ventilation to reduce exposure). Whereas, a person who has these mercury-silver dental amalgams for a long period of time, the exposure is continuous. The mercury accumulates. There is indeed poisoning from these mercury fillings...the question is whether they are safe and cause illness. Well, it depends on how many a person has, the type of amalgam, the individual's sensitivity, and what may be required for acceptable proof. Plus there may be other factors that I haven't mentioned or are aware of. Some of us, just get well, after we have these amalgams replaced with white fillings. For me personally, that's all the proof that I need. It's like, "whatever works or feels comfortable for you".

I can't speak for everyone, and tell them how they feel or have felt. All I can do, is say what I know, and tell people what happened to me. This is what I observed...observation being one of the fundamental building blocks of science. We are still learning more all the time.

With these white teeth, my health has significantly recovered. I'm like a new person. I thought I was doomed for a wheel chair or an early death. My life is starting all over again....

Closed Thread