It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #1

dental_phobia HB User
Post Extraction fear! Does bridge hurts?

I fear everything about going to the dentist. Lucky for me, only one molar is now in a bad condition and the dentist advice me to pull it out because according to her, root canal for me is not advisable because the hole is too big and little surface is left, so the root canal may fail. I had a very bad experience with my molar extraction when I was 11 years old, very long time ago. It hurts like mad, I struggle until the nurses have to hold my hands and legs down, no kidding. Until today, I am 23 and my memory is still fresh. Give me your most honest opinion, does extraction hurts? If you don't know how to describe the pain, maybe rate it. From 1 to 10. Please reply soon as I am going to the dentist for my appointment the day after tommorow. Thanks so much!

Old 09-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #2

bluejeanbaby HB User
Talking

Don't worry! I went last Thursday and had 7 teeth extracted- including a wisdom tooth. The dentist froze my mouth and I did not feel any pain! The needles are uncomfortable- but once you are frozen you are fine. All I felt was a little pressure from the rocking of the tooth but absolutely no pain. If you have time call your dentist and ask them to give you a prescription for something that you can take a couple of hours before your appointment to relax you. I did and it made a big difference.

Good luck- it truly is not anything like what you are imagining. I would rather have a tooth pulled than a root canal any day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #3

dental_phobia HB User
Thanks for the comfort. I am going to get it done tommorow. I am very freaking out, thinking its the last of my days for food so I ate all the craps I can grab now. I hope what you're saying is true, really no pain. The dentist said I may need a bridge done. Will that hurt? Because from my knowledge, it requires some kinda work from the dentist that acts like a cutting agent on the two other side teeth. Gosh.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #4

bluejeanbaby HB User
Smile

You will be fine! Since you are only having 1 tooth out you should still be able to eat fairly normally on the other side of your mouth. Just follow the instructions that the dentist gives you. I think the most important things are not to rinse the area for a few days, don't use a straw when you drink and don't smoke.

I don't know anything about bridges- I had a partial denture put in. I would suggest that you ask your dentist for a really good explanation of what he wants to do and find out exactly what is involved. I find that if you know what's going on a lot of the fear is gone. The unknown is the most scarey part!

Let us know how it goes (and remember that about 30 minutes after you sit in the dentists chair you will be getting up and going home- it will all be over quickly!)

[This message has been edited by bluejeanbaby (edited 09-04-2003).]

Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 PM   #5

dental_phobia HB User
I sure hope it will be as you said. I will go, come back and update about how it goes. If its good that is, to encourage others. If its bad, you will see no further post.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #6

sirius HB User
did you take a picture of your tooth. I have gone to an endodontist an dentist. My dentist didn't know if the molar was salvagable..the endodontist said I would have to go to a periodontist for gum surgery because the hole/ is below gumline for a crown...

so i am totally confused
extraction=cheap heh

endo perio dentist hmmm 2000 ): prolly

Old 09-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #7

diane synder HB User
ok im getting all 4 wisdoms out plus 2 molars under iv sedation what i need to know what is consious iv sedation and will i feel any pressure like them pulling or yanking my teeth while under sedation its not general though

Old 09-11-2003, 07:48 AM   #8

dental_phobia HB User
No picture taken whatsoever. Since I am getting the tooth out, there would be no crowning for me. Sad case but I can actually have the tooth replace with an artificial ones with bridging. Extraction is definitely cheaper, but this is not why I am going for it. Root canal is not advisable for me because the doc said the hole is too big and the surface is too little already, if I did root canal, it would probably fail. Extraction is still the number one choice, but then again the dentist said also there's a chance of the tooth cracking during extraction, that may result in surgery. I hope that won't happen!

Old 09-12-2003, 02:27 PM   #9

diane synder HB User
well if you get iv sedation for work you will not know whats going anyway you would be consious but unaware of whats happening to you .

Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

kvnelson2002 HB User
Wink Re: Extraction fear! Does bridge hurts?

Hi, I know what you're going through, I too had a tooth extracted, then to hear the words, you'll need to get a bridge, have your dentist explain it all to you, I was scared, but was really happy when the work was completed, my wisdom tooth got a gold cap, my teeth on the inside part is gold and the exterior side is faced with porcelain, so it doesn't really show up when you smile. It will feel tender for the first few weeks, but you'll get used to it, now it feels like I didn't have any work on it at all, and it only has been a month since I've had it done. It sure feels better now, then when I had no tooth there, I had gum aches and that was sad, but now, the aches have subsided, and even my kids are happy to hear I got one gold tooth. Believe me it was worth it. And when you get yours done, you'll be happy with the outcome. Also, remember to ask the dentist how to clean in between the bridge and the gums, it's a different process than regular flossing, but a new and fun exciting thing to do. Good luck, I hope everything goes well with you.

Closed Thread