It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #1

DianaFaye HB User
Question Swollen Gum after Root Canal

I'm hoping someone here can give me an idea of what's going on. Here's the background. I had a filling done the middle of July on my right upper second last molar. The bite was off, I proceeded to have major pain from it as well as intense jaw and ear pain. I go back to the dentist approx. 3 weeks later. He adjusts the bite and puts some topical treatment to desensitize the tooth on it.

Two days later I woke up with extreme pain above the tooth and swelling of the gum. I proceed to an emergency dentist where I get xrays and he says it needs a root canal and is abscessed.

I go on antibiotics for about 8-9 days. I go back to my dentist for a root canal. He fills it with cotton and a temporary filling. He tells me to come back in 4-6 weeks. (edited to add, come back in 4-6 weeks for permanent filling)

Three days ago the tooth was feeling uncomfortable, I think it's because the temporary filling is wearing down but I'm not sure?! The next day my gum right above the molar was bubbled out. Swollen and somewhat achy but nothing extremely painful. Just a slight annoyance. It's strange because it's perfectly round.

What could be causing the swelling? should I wait to see if it subsides on it's own or see my dentist ASAP?

Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by DianaFaye (edited 09-12-2003).]

Closed Thread