It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
Post White coated tongue and it STINKS!

I have tried almost everything that i can think of. I use a tongue scraper but it only helps for 5 mins, then the stench returns. I am 32 and have had this problem since i can ever remember. I can rember being 8 or 9 years old, and kids commenting on this problem. Its so embarrasing, I can not live life to the fullest because of this. After reading this forum, I have decided to give peroxide a go, thats something that I have not tried. Although I do not hold much faith that it will work for me.
Id really like to get in touch with others that have the same problem. I feel so lonley. Its ruined so much of my life and also so many relationships that I have held. I have become a bit of a hermit, and only feel safe in my own home where can relax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Have you ever been to a dentist for this problem? Maybe it is some kind of yeast that needs treatment.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
thankyou Catty, yes I have asked Dentists/Doctors ect. No one can give me a solution that makes it any better. Its nota yeast problem, as i have tried cutting out ALL yeast ect in my diet. It doesnt help at all.
I have tried Nilstat and so many mouthwashes. I have had my breath measured ina breath o meter machine, was sold $200 worth of products that again did nothing.

I just bought some peroxide, have just used it and yes most of the coating has gone, I havent seen my tongue this pink EVER! But I have a feeling that the coating will soon return. I can slowley feel that bad breath taste returning already and its only been 5 mins since I used the peroxide.

Old 09-01-2003, 10:06 PM   #4

rileysmom24 HB User
Could this be something like thrush?

Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 AM   #5
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
I wish it was thrush, that is easy to get rid of. I have tried all type's of thrush oral gels, and they did nothing at all.

Since this morning I have used the peroxide twice. It does seem to help, as I said i have NEVER seen my tongue look so pink before.

I guess in a few days I will be able to tell if this is a cure or just something that will help ease the problem. Fingers crossed for me, and anyone else that is trying this.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive

extrablue HB User
whats thrush?

Old 09-02-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
On the internet, it will give you every bit of info about thrush. I am sure if you do a search on this forum, you will also get some info.

[Edited to remove directions for websearch.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #8

allergicinsw HB User
What was the mixture of peroxide.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM   #9

jack03 HB User
Louise2,

How has the peroxide been working? My son is almost 4 and he has chronic white tongue and chronic bad breath. He's had it for a couple years it seems, and now that he is becoming more social, I'm hoping to treat him effectively so he doesn't become insecure about it.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
I think I may have a solution that almost rids myself of my chronic bad breath. I can not believe that someything that just costs a few dollars has helped so much. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on other treatments that do nothing at all. I urge all you that suffer from this chronic problem to try what i have just tried. yesterday was the first day in my ENTIRE life that I did not go to work with a piece of chewing gum in my mouth.I had the best day, I was so confident and chatted and laughed all day. I deal face to face with our customers,( normally this is extremly hard, but I love my job so just have to deal with it) and it was amazing the rapport that I was able to build, just due to me finally being ME and not having to shy away cause of my fowl breath.
Anyway, what I did was search under allagies on this forum, and I started reading all about post nasel drip, as I think ( maybe) this is causing my coated tongue. The last 48 hours, I have been doing nasel irragation witha mixture of baking soda, salt and warm water. The first time I did it I was really amazed at all the mucas that came out. Sorry for the graphic details. After that I get straight 3% hydrogen peroxide and gargle, trying to leave it on my tongue as long as possible. You should see all the white coating dissapear. Then I spit it out and scrap my tongue with my tongue scraper. Finally brush my teeth and tongue with normal toothpaste. FRESH BREATH!!!!!My breath has NEVER EVER been this fresh in all my 32 years. It is amazing. This fresh breath lasted for HOURS. All I did was sip some water to moisten my mouth. After a few hours I felt a little bit of a disgusting taste, so I chewed one piece of gum, and felt like my breath was really quiet fresh again. ( Normally the gum doesnt even mask the stench)
I just hope that it keeps on working.
I am going to go back to my doctors soon and get him to check if I do have PND. In the meantime, this is the best I have felt in YEARS...no EVER!!!!!!

Jack03....
I urge you to try to get to the root of this problem with your son. If it is the same as what I have, I hate to say this but it will altar his life. I am not sure how you will be able to get him to gargle with the peroxide as it does bubble and foam in your mouth. When it is spat out it looks like froth. maybe you could get him checked for PND too.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #11

jack03 HB User
thanks for the very helpful info. I'm going to get him checked out for PND, and look into that gargling remedy you described.

I hope things continue to go well for you.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #12
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
Thankyou Jack03,

Let us all know what the outcome is regarding your son. Very curious. I often wonder if I also had the problem at 4 years old. I first recal it at about age 6. I can clearly remember I arrived at school, then realised that I had forgotton to brush my teeth that morning. I ran all the way home, as I thought that I was going to have bad breath all day if I didnt brush my teeth. I remember Mum telling me that it would have been okay for me to stay at school and just brush my teeth when I came home. But even at age 6 I knew that my breath was fowl.
Another time when I was young I remember Mum asking me if I had a sore throat, when I asked her why, she commented that my breath was a bit "off" that day. This panicked me, even at such a young age. Another time, around the same age, I remember my 2 cousins asking who has bad breath and then they pointed at me.
Sorry to alarm you Jack03, but as I wrote before I can not stress how important it is for you to take this problem seriously for your son.

Goodluck. xx

Old 09-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #13

lwe HB User

Using Nystatin (prescription anti-fungal) solution as a nasal rinse is also an option. Be sure it's the pure Nystatin powder intended for mixing into water for internal use, not a product mixed with talcum for use as a foot powder.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:01 AM   #14
(female)

Cashodeen HB User
I seem to remember a story on 20/20 back in 1995 or 1996 where some woman had this same problem, and she had her tongue professionally scraped by a doctor. Is anyone familiar with this kind of treatment for severe cases? It's been so long since I saw this story that I forgot what it was all about.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:52 AM   #15
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
Cashodeen,

I have never heard of such a thing, but it does seem to make sense. I would love to find out some more information.

If anyone knows anything about this please let us know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also just wondering....if there is anyone else out there that doesnt post messages that has the same problem as me? Id really like to hear your stories and how you cope with having chronic halitosis. Have you tried what I have recomended?

Closed Thread