It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #1

bellablueway HB User
Unhappy Major problems- I want to save my teeth!!

Hi all! I have had 3 teeth pulled years ago while in college. Never found out until 2 years ago that the other teeth would move down and grow into those empty spaces! So now, I have one upper tooth that has grown out of place much lower than the rest into that bottom empty space! It's very noticeable although it's on the side of my mouth. Can this be repaired? Will I need to have the tooth pulled? I really want to save my teeth since I'm running low on them. what are my options? My insurance only covers $1500 per year and I need tons of work done on my mouth so I'm trying to get the urgent things taken care of first. ALSO- I had a root canal done years ago with no crown ever done on it and the tooth has broken off on each side but one. I have no pain with this tooth. Can it be saved? Will it need another root canal? and if so, why, since I'm not having any pain? I am also a nervous wreck about this dental work thing.HELP!!!!!!!!!! I'm scared to death to even go back to the dentist. what should I do? Can these procedures be performed under sedation? How dangerous is sedation since it's not done in a hospital setting? PLEASE SEND YOUR ADVICE SOON!!

Thanks so much,

THe nervous wreck

Old 09-13-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
(female)

lilihob HB User
what a lot of questions!
i'm no expert, but i think i can help you with some of my experiences.
firstly, the shifted tooth will be probably best left alone unless it's decayed. i have a shifted wisdom tooth, lower than the others,(i had the previous tooth pulled), it's just fine.
if a root canal is done properly, it never needs to be done again. the tooth is painless, the nerve is gone. you may be able to have a post put into the stump and a crown fitted to that.
you should be able to have this done under sedation. in fact, i, as a total scaredy cat feel that conscious sedation dentistry is a gift!
you wouldn't be asleep just "out-of-it" and very co-operative, and it has a wonderful side-effect of amnesia, you will not remember any of it.
as for the safety aspect, in the u.k, the dentist has to be licenced/trained to do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 12:31 AM   #3

jwarneka HB User
Bella, I know that when I had any major work done, (tooth extraction) I was put out too, lol my thing is that needle for the novacaine, supersensitive tissue, but I know that they are very carefull, I was put completely under, I had an IV in my arm, a pulse monitor on my wrist, and a blood oxygen meter on my finger, it does put you into quite a fog afterwards though, but in my book it's worth it, seeing as I was already in alot of pain when I had the proceedures done, sedation dentistry is a godsend for some of us, although insurance can be very iffy on the costs, I usually have to pay 40% upfront, and then if insurance covers more than what I paid, I get a check from the dental office for the difference,
Good luck, I hope the experience is as pain free as possible

Closed Thread