It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #1

mikhthr HB User
Unhappy What Would You Do?( Long)

Hello! I am a 29 year old mother of 3. My teeth went bad during my pregnancy's. I had my 3rd child this past March. In June, do to an accident, I had to get full upper dentures. I have had nothing but problems with them. I could eat better when I first got them than I can now! They've caused me nothing but mental, physical & emotional anguish. Well, I have 7 natural teeth remaining on the bottom. 3 of them went bad during my last pregnancy. I was finally able to get into my dentist last week & he said my best option would be to get them extracted. He is going to try to bond them tomorrow morning (please say a prayer that he can!) but he says it depends on how close to the nerve the decay is.(why can't he just kill the nerve then?) I'm not in any pain whatsoever. Brushing them doesn't hurt. They might be a tad sensitive to cold, but warm actually feels good on them. He said if the bond falls out in a year, he'd replace it for nothing, but he doesn't sound too optimistic. He thinks I am "very noble" for wanting to try to save the teeth. The thing is, my son is 6 months old and is starting to crawl,...I can't go through the extractions and getting use to dentures again right now!!! I have researched all weekend and I have seen teeth alot worse than mine, completely rotted to the gumline, be fixed!!! I am so depressed!!! I am so afraid I'm going to go in there tomorrow and walk out without my teeth!!! I tried to get into another dentist for a second opinion, but it was going to be quite a wait & I was afraid it would be too late. Plus, I can't afford another set of dentures right now & my insurance will pay most of the bonding. I'm suffering mentally because I am afraid that my kids are embarrassed of me and that my husband will divorce me because I am so ugly now! I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown at any moment. I know it's only teeth, but I want to keep what I have left as long as I can!!! Thanks for listening to my rant!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi Mikhthr

I don't think you'll be walking out of the dentists office tormorrow without your teeth. If the bonding doesn't work the only thing you're likely to go home with is more decisions to make about what to do about your remaining teeth. I hope the bonding works. I think your decision to save as many teeth as possible is a good one.

With only 7 lower teeth remaining I'm surprised you don't already have a lower partial denture. I think you need to face the fact that you'll need a lower denture sooner or later whether or not you can save your last remaining teeth. Where your appearance is concerned, a lower denture can only improve it and you, your children will have nothing to feel embarassed about. I hope that your husband is being supportive through your dental problems.

If you've only had the upper denture since June of 2003 it's not surprising it's causing you so much grief. It takes time and patience to adjust to dentures. Three months is barely enough time for your gums to heal never mind learn how to eat with a denture. Have you had any soft relines done? Have you had any adjustments?

Having to get dentures in your 40's or 50's is traumatic enough both physically and emotionally. At 29 I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. Talk to your doctor if your physical or mental state worsens.

By the way, I'm 49 and have had dentures (full upper and partial lower) for just over 9 months.

Yos

Closed Thread