It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 07:16 AM   #1

hac74 HB User
Question Denture Help

My dentures are driving me insane! It just feels like the bottom of them (part your tongue rests on) stays slimey,no matter how many times I rinse my mouth out....and I can't talk right, it's so embarrassing that I only talk to people when I have to.It just seems too smooth to get my tongue to work right & it seems that my tongue goes down instead of up when I try to form words. I still think they gave me too much overbite or the denture is too low in that spot. The part where it splits into a V is too far back, I can bend it into place with my bottom teeth! I have been arguing with them for 4 months over this, they are suppose to make you another one if you aren't happy....yeah, right. good luck getting them to do it. The last time I was in there,he treated me like crap! He did an adjustment, then practically threw them down and said he'd make me another set, grabbed the syringe thing they put mold in and told me I'd have to leave these ones there.WHAT? This is the only set I have! It's HIS screw-up, if he's making me another set, then why should I have to leave these ones??? I paid 910.00 for these danged things! Mostly,I don't want to leave them cause I don't want anyone to see me without my teeth, but like I said, why does he need these? He can have them if the new ones prove to be satisfactory! Needless to say, I walked out of there in a huff, threatening to call the BBB and retain a lawyer, so now I am afraid to go back in there after the little show of anger I had. I am afraid they are going to treat me even more worse than before now!

[Edited to remove profanity. "Worse than before" or something similar is preferred. Thanks.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 09-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 AM   #2

hac74 HB User
Oh yeah, and I forgot to say that I can't even rest my lower jaw naturally, I have to keep it at an angle to the left or my bottom teeth on the right hit it. (My lowers are real teeth)

Old 09-16-2003, 04:44 PM   #3

Yos HB User
Hi Hac,

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. You're absolutely right that if the denture doesn't fit it's his mistake and not your fault. You don't say anything about guarantees so I'll have to take your word for it that they promise a replacement if the first doesn't fit. First of all though, you've got some public relations damage control to do. It wouldn't hurt to apologize for getting angry even though you had every reason to be. That should at least smooth out some feathers if any got ruffled. At the very least get back an amicable working relationship with the dentist (you were talking about a dentist right?). I'm going to assume that your denture came from a "chain" clinic such as Affordable Dentures. Threatening them with lawyers probably won't do much good but a letter to the "chain" head office might have some effect. They're a little more concerned about reputation than your average dentist especially if they're a "national" chain. Make sure you send a copy to the offending dentist. If or when you talk to them again try not to lose your cool. If you discuss things with them firmly and matter of factly they'll be more apt to listen and take you seriously. Another thing you can do if it is a "chain" clinic is ask that another dentist be assigned to you. There is a last option you can pursue if $ allow. You can have a new denture made by another dentist or, depending on where you live, a denturist. It's always great to have a spare for emergencies and you'll avoid having to deal with the dentist again.

Where the actual denture is concerned it sounds like the whole thing is a little out of whack, not just the bite. Somehow you're going to have to find a way to demonstrate that the denture and your natural teeth aren't aligning properly. As to why the dentist wanted the denture back, he probably wants to reuse the teeth in order to cut his losses in remaking the denture. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to refuse if you explain why you need your denture (or ask him if he would like to go without his teeth for a few days ). Your speech problem may be related to the denture being out of alignment. It could also be that you're just one of those people that have a more difficult time with speech while wearing dentures. After 9 months I still can't say my S's consistently from one day to the next but I'm past caring now. I'm not sure what you can do about the "slimey" feel of the denture "gums". To the best of my knowledge most denture acrylics are basically the same. The surface of the acrylic is smooth and the mouth produces saliva so I would expected it to be "slimey" to certain degree. It's common for new denture wearers to produce more saliva than they did before dentures so it may clear up in time.

I hope this has been some help. Good luck in dealing with your dentist. Learning to live with dentures is difficult enough without having a dentist that is difficult too.

Yos

Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #4

hac74 HB User
Hello Yos! Thank you for replying, and, yes I got them at Affordable Dentures. They only have one dentist in there. ( I live in a rural area) I have been in there several times & they act like I am a hassle. I don't have 910.00 dollars to throw away like that, ya know?( extractions, new denture wearer package and the economy dentures they MADE me get, I wanted the custom)I have heard mixed reviews on them since I got mine & I wish I would have heard them beforehand. One of my friends mom had an underbite & he gave her an overbite,she can't even close her mouth now. I don't have trouble with my S's much....but, for example, I can't say "church" or "hairbrush" right. Like I said, my tongue is hitting too low where it should go up. And words like "love" that should hit your teeth, don't hit my teeth. I'm not good at explaining this stuff, sorry if I don't make any sense.

Closed Thread