It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #1

lil ms frigthened HB User
Post tooth extraction and bridge

My dentist wants me to have a tooth extracted and then put in a 3 unit bridge. I have two concerns. One is that I'm terribly frightened of getting the tooth pulled (which is cracked above the gum line and hurting terribly - it was also root canaled badly many years ago). I have had many surgeries on my teeth, multiple root canals and an extraction. I was so frightened at that time, I hyperventilated in the office. I dread having a similar experience. Any suggestions on what I can do to help my impending terror?

My second concern is the dentist who wants to do the bridge is telling me that I will need to wait two months before he will begin working on the bridge so that I can have time to heal. Why do I have to wait two months? Isn't that an excessive amount of time to wait with a space in my mouth that could cause my upper front teeth to shift and ruin a fairly straight smile? Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 03:07 AM   #2

jwarneka HB User
Hi lil ms frightened,
I've been there, lol speaking from experience, way more than I should have, lol I have had 8 teeth pulled so far, 2 top wisdom, 2 top molars, and 6 other teeth including my top right front tooth,

One question I would have is how are you going to be sedated? are you going to be partially awake, or totally under? All of my extractions were done while I was totally under, because I like you HATE dental work, lol of any kind, I told them flat out, knock my butt out! lol plus I was already in ALOT of pain, I didn't need anymore, a good dentist will understand that you are probably nervous, and it is ok to tell them so, you can tell them wether or not you want to hear all of the details or if you would prefer not to,
If you decide to be put totally under, most of the time it is very safe, and like someone else said, they have to be certified to administer anasthesia(Sp?),
I had an IV in my arm, a pulse monitor on my wrist, and a blood oxygen monitor on my finger, lol my husband was picking me up at the surgeon's office, and they wouldn't even release me unless he actually came into the office, to make sure that I wasn't driving, and that if I wasn't aware enough that all of my aftercare instructions were understood, and yes to me 2 months seems like a very long time, usually, for me that is, I had maybe a 4 week maximum, to be totally healed, but like I said that was me, I would maybe get a second opinion on the last part, if not to just make yourself feel better ya know,
Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #3

kens4ever HB User
I also went through the bridge thing with a 4 unit bridge. I had my front tooth pulled due to an injury I sustained on it 30 years ago. Right now I have a temporary bridge which looks fairly nice. I will have my permanent bridge very soon, but that is how you avoid shifting teeth, with a temporary bridge. I hope I answered your question.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Before submitting yourself to this, get a second opinion. If there is any chance of saving the tooth, do it. Bridges can cause problems in the best of mouths and should only be used as a last resort. I have a molar that had a root canal and crown 3 years ago. Ten days ago it broke off at the gum line because the guy who did it didn't put a post in it. My current dentist is going to clean it up, put a post in and do the new buildup for a new crown tomorrow. My teeth are lousy, but at least I still have them thanks to lots of root canal work and lots of crowns.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:34 PM   #5

lil ms frigthened HB User
Thanks for your advice. I will get a second opinion. I had an appointment for today to talk to my current dentist, but cancelled due to a head cold/sinus infection that has really knocked me out. I opted for going to my medical doctor about my head and cough rather than see the dentist. I just wasn't up to talking to him about the tooth today. I'll reschedule with him. I have another dentist in mind for the second opinion. She performed a root canal on me a year or so ago. I liked her style. Maybe she'll work with me on this.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread