It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 PM   #1

Djin HB User
Post Any had orthognathic surgery?

I hope someone here can give me some answers. Here's a brief background:

In 1999 I had my first visit with an orthodontist. I was told I had an open bite and would need braces and orthognathic surgery, as my lower jaw grew too much, making my bite improper. Later that year I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Within the past year I've been having symptoms of tmj. Not horrible symptoms, but bad enough for me to notice every few days.

I had an appointment with my oral surgeon, who said, again, I would need braces and sugery to correct my tmj symptoms as well as my bite.

However, upon reading some stuff on the TMJ thread, I'm wary of the procedure, as several have said it made their tmj worse.

Has anyone here had the surgery done (regardless of whether or not you have tmj)? Did you experience new problems afterwards?

My main issue, aside from my muscles feeling better, is being able to bite properly. I'd love to see what it's like to bite something with my front teeth!

Thanks in advance,
Djin

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Please help! Anyone had Orthognathic surgery??? temera2 TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 1 09-27-2009 10:18 AM
Orthognathic means.......Straight Jaws Cymy Sue TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 12 11-06-2005 06:13 PM
Orthognathic Surgery tsheridan TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 5 03-31-2005 05:45 PM
What is "Orthognathic" surgery mdla TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 1 02-08-2004 05:20 AM
orthognathic vs TMJ (surgeries) EverlastingSmile137 TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 3 11-23-2003 06:17 PM