It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #1

starrynight HB User
Post Root Canal Problems

I had a root canal done on molar a couple weeks ago. My dentist found four canals. Since the procedure I'm finding that my tooth is still very sensitive to cold and now in the past few days is starting to ache whenever I eat anything. My gums aren't red and it does not hurt when I tap my tooth. I called my dentists office and they said this was just normal healing after a root canal. I don't understand why I would still be feeling pain with cold foods if there are no more nerves in that tooth. This is my third root canal and the other ones are not hot/cold sensitive in the least bit. Any ideas what's going on here?

[This message has been edited by starrynight (edited 09-18-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
I'm not saying that this is the problem, but I went through the same thing with a molar. The dentist kept hinting to his assistant that it was all my fault. I wasn't brushing properly, flossing properly, etc. It finally settled down, but flared up again a few years later. New dentist x-rayed and saw what she thought was a hairline fracture below the gum line. Turned out to be an extra root that was growing into my jaw.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #3

indy gal HB User
On one hand, I do think it takes a molar a while longer to recover from the root canal. I remember that mine felt weird for about a month afterwards. Ever since it was done I would have an occasional twinge of pain when eating, or with cold foods... but it didn't give me major problems until after a year later.

That is when it abscessed because one canal wasn't filled all the way down to the bottom. After having endodontic surgery done to fix that, the pain continued. So I had the root-canal retreated. Turned out I had a tear-drop shaped canal, and it was cleaned and filled as if it was a round canal, meaning there was one little "wing" of canal left untreated. The regular dentist couldn't see it. It took an endodontist with their mega-microscopes to be able to see it.

It has been a month now since the retreatment and the tooth feel good. For you I'd say give it a month, and if it keeps bothering you, then get it looked at by an endodontist.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #4

starrynight HB User
Smile

I thought I'd post an update. I went to my dentist this morning to have the temporary filling in my root canal replaced with a permanent filling. (I have to wait until next year for a crown since my insurance is maxed out.) She did the cold test on my teeth and it turns out it's the teeth next to my root canal that have become sensitive to temperature. Good news! It really did feel like the root canaled tooth had the problem, so I was very glad to find out I was wrong. In any case, she put a fluoride varnish on my teeth to help with the sensitivity and hopefully the nerves on those teeth will calm down over time. Just thought I'd give an update in case this might help anyone else out there.

Closed Thread