It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #1

myTeethProblems HB User
Post Do I have the right?

So far my current dentist have already taken my teeth X-ray 4 times. I'm planning to get a second opinion from another dentist for my new denture and extraction. Do I have the right to ask my current dentist to lend me the x-ray results so I can show them to my new dentist? Do I have to pay?

Old 09-08-2003, 03:40 AM   #2

Yos HB User
Most dentists will gladly forward xrays to another dentist for you. Bottom line: If you paid the dentist for taking the xrays they are yours, not the dentists. You have every right to take them and do whatever you want with them.

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
You shouldn't have a problem getting the x-rays.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2003, 02:07 PM   #4

Shaman HB User
You have two ways to go on this. You can ask that the records be transferred to the other office, which by law he has to do at your WRITTEN request, and has a certain number of days to do it. You may be able to get around the wait period, and avoid problems with lost or missing films, if you go in to the office and sign for the x-rays yourself. If you ask for COPIES, he can by law charge you for the copies (there is a maximum charge allowed per film, can't remember what it was though).

The laws regarding patient access to medical records vary by state, so check with your states medical borad to get the full details regarding your rights. In some states, the Dr is under no obligation to release records to the patient and is only required to transfer them to another Dr upon written request. California happens to be one of the states where patients have legal access to their records, but it still can be a pain in the butt to get them.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #5

myTeethProblems HB User
Thumbs up

Thank you so much, everyone. I'm new to this country, so I don't know much about the law here. My previous dentist didn't allow me to borrow the x-rays. Also my friend gave me wrong information, by telling me that it's the law that dentist have to keep their patient records, so if I need the record, I have to pay for copies.
Now, I feel more confident to speak up to my current dentist.

------------------

Old 09-26-2003, 08:55 PM   #6

myTeethProblems HB User
My prosthodontist said it's ok for her to send my record to another dentist. But she said that I still have balance (about $150) that I have to pay from my pocket because the isurance doesn't cover it. She never mention about this balance before. I am so upset about it. Does she has the right to charge me without asking me first?

Old 09-27-2003, 05:51 AM   #7

Yos HB User
Hi again,

Get an itemized statement of the work your dentist did - the procedure, materials, thier cost, etc. Talk to your insurance company and find out exactly what they cover. You'll have to pay the difference. If you feel that the dentist is ripping you off, there's not much you can do except present your argument for not having to pay and win said argument and/or pay and never go back. That's how capitalism works. Gotta love it dontcha? Good luck!

Yos

Closed Thread