It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Post "Partial"

I'm planning on getting a "Partial." That is when the hook on some false teeth to your own. I have 10 of my lower front teeth left and thinking of getting a partial of two teeths on each side to be hooked on to my front teeth. What I would like to know: These two front teeth of mine where the hook on the partial, will they have to be crowned first? Both these teeth having fillings but otherwise are in good shape. I checked that whole message board and no one talks about "partial." I hope you know what I mean.
thank you

Old 09-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #2

China1980 HB User
sounds the same thing as porcelain veneers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #3

Yos HB User
Hi Laura

A "partial" is a denture. The rear teeth on each side will sit on a pink gum colored acrylic base which rests on the gums where the missing teeth are. At the front of each acrylic base there will be a clasp which will hook around the nearest natural tooth. It will also have a thin metal frame that goes around the back of the remaining front teeth connecting two acrylic bases on each side of the mouth making a horseshoe shape. The frame helps give the entire denture some stability. Normally, crowns aren't needed on the natural teeth where the clasps hook around. I'd send you a picture if I could but..... I hope my description helps you understand and visualize what a "partial" is.

Yos

Old 09-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Thumbs up

YOS, thank you for your reply. Very good description, even without a picture I can visualize what will happen to me. Sure don't look forward to having all that "stuff" sitting in my mouth, but at my age (74) I can't complain, I feel I'm lucky my teeth lasted that long.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
I read so much about hard and soft "relines" on this board. I have no idea what that is. Is that something I will get with my "partial" on the lower right and left?

Old 09-26-2003, 04:06 PM   #6

Yos HB User
Hi again Laura,

After extractions and over time gums and bones in the jaw shrink (resorb). Relines are generally done to restore the fit and stability of a denture. A soft reline is temporary in nature and is done in a few minutes in a dentists chair. A powder and liquid is mixed to a consistancy of a thick glue, spread on the denture and then the denture is pressed against the gums. After a few minutes the mixture hardens to the shape of your gums. The soft reline material is fairly resilient (like a hard rubber) and will last 3 to 6 months. A hard reline is somewhat different. The reline material is the same pink acrylic as the denture and is permanent. The dentist makes a new impression using the denture as the mold and sends it to a lab to have the acrylic added. The reason it needs to go to the lab is because it is a heat cured process. Fortunately, most hard relines can be done in a single working day. Some dentists do a chairside hard reline which is not heat cured. Avoid them. They are known to cause gums to burn and/or blister. I don't know what causes it but I do know that I haven't heard any good stories about a chairside hard reline, only bad ones.

Hopefully you won't need a reline of any kind for a while. Whether you do or not will largely depend on how soon the denture is fitted after the extractions. If the gums are given a couple of months to heal after the extractions before getting the denture it should fit well for a good while. I hope this info has been helpful. Good luck! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Yos

Old 09-27-2003, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Thank you again, Yos.
I'm a little confused, you write:

"A powder and liquid is mixed to a consistancy of a thick glue, spread on the denture and then the denture is pressed against the gums".

I thought when you have a "partial" you have to unclick and take the teeth out every night. (I try not to think about that yet!) But if they are clued to the gum, you can't do that. I hope you answer me once more. I have a real bad "dentist phobia" and already all up tight about the procedure. I have a very good and nice dentist but he never explained to me what will be going on and I'm always so scared when I sit in his chair that I can't think straight to ask. I guess he thought at my age :-( I probably know all about dentures.
thanks again.
P.S. Yos, how do you get that cute yellow guy to wave on the board?

[This message has been edited by Laura B (edited 09-27-2003).]

Old 09-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #8

Yos HB User
Hi again Laura,

Sorry about the confusion. Using glue as an example probably wasn't the best to use. I meant that the mixture of powder and water was mixed to the consistancyof thick glue, not that it actually was glue being mixed. The mixture hardens and sticks to the denture but not the gums.

But speaking of glue, some denture wearers use adhesives to keep their dentures in place. It's not a really a "glue" and it usually breaks down near the end of the day and is easily brushed away. I don't use adhesives because my dentures fit well enough to stay in place on their own. Hopefully, yours will too.

As for the little yellow guy waving, there is a link to the smilies legend to the left of the message box where you type a reply.

And one last thing. If you have more questions please ask. That's what this forum is all about.

Yos

Old 11-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User
Smile partial

I have a partial that hooks on the eye teeth on top. I can't wear it now - it doesn't fit. It didn't feel comfortable when I could wear it!

Closed Thread