It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User
Post chronic pain

Seven years ago I had a root canal on a lower molar. A couple of weeks later I started getting pain that felt like it was the tooth aching. The root canal was redone several times, and then finally the tooth was extracted. That didn't end the pain, so I subsequently had my wisdom teeth out, the adjoining tooth out, a top tooth out and finally gum surgery because it was suspected a root tip may have been left behind. Since then I have still suffered pain, usually on and off, with sometimes months with no pain in between. This past year, however, the pain has been almost constant. The gums (I have no teeth there now) ache as if they're being squeezed with a clamp, and when it's most severe my lips on that side have a kind of burning/tingling feeling. As well the pain goes down that side of my neck and around the base of my skull. CT scans and MRIs show nothing wrong. Regular, over-the-counter pain relievers do not have any effect. The only thing that helps sometimes is a narcotic pain reliever which naturally I don't want to use too much of. We've also tried some antidepressants and amitriptylene, but they didn't seem to help and have annoying side effects. Any suggestions?

------------------

Old 09-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Have you had blood work done? Perhaps you are harboring an infection? It sounds like what I had with the pain. Root canal redone twice and then extracted and never did the pain subside. I suggest getting a bone scan done which will also be able to show any infection if it has reached the bone.

I hope this helps and perhaps trying Advil or something to help with inflammation will work better. Nothing helped me with pain other than Morphine - but who wants to be on that all the time.

Please do have this checked out. Best to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User
Is this what you had? How was it diagnosed, and have you been able to resolve it?

Old 09-27-2003, 11:55 PM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Yes, this is what I have. My infection went to the bone which is called Osteomyelitis. It has been a year since it has been diagnosed by an oral surgeon at a University Hospital. I am going for more treatment and surgery.

Closed Thread