It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #1

22ad22 HB User
Talking wisdom teeth experience

I've been reading this board for awhile because I was getting my wisdom teeth out. And everybody was so helpful and informative and really helped me be prepared. I just wanted to share my experience to maybe help somebody else.

There were so many horror stories that I just want to say it really wasn't bad. I had mine out on Thursday. I had IV sedation and asked that I not remember anything. It was great! They gave me some laughing gas, put the IV in, things got dizzy and the next thing I knew I was awake. I was still pretty out of it when my boyfriend took me home.

What I wasn't prepared for was how it would feel for my mouth to be completely numb (from the novacaine). I've never had novacaine before. The best thing to do is have pen and paper handy cause I couldn't talk at all for several hours. I wasn't supposed to drink water until the bleeding stopped. That kind of sucked. My tongue and throat were so dry. My throat was also really sore. the bleeding stopped about 7 hours after the surgery. And a little bit later I got some feeling back in my mouth, but nothing was too painful. My lip and chin were still numb. I took half a percoset when the numbness wore off.

By the next day I had all feeling back, which was great. Honestly the pain wasn't so bad. I didn't even take my pain meds every 4 to 6 hours, I just waited till I felt some pain. Supposedly they work better if you take them before the pain, but the way I did it worked just fine.

My biggest problem was that the percocet kind of made me feel sick to my stomache, and the antibiotic made me really sick to my stomache. You should really eat with the meds, but I just couldn't stomach food. Chocolate milk was a godsend!! It was so helpful. But I still was very sick. I spent a lot of time laying on the bathroom floor crying after dry heaving. After feeling sick for 3 days, I stopped taking the antibiotic on my own on sunday (i was supposed to take it for a week). I called my dr's office monday, and they said that was ok. After I stopped taking it, I got my appetite back and was able to eat, which made me feel even better.

Right now, my jaw aches and I have a headache. I took an aleve earlier, which is what I've been taking. I haven't taken a percocet since sat.

All in all, it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. If it weren't for feeling sick and throwing up, I would have been fine. My advice is that if you have a sensitive stomache, be prepared. definitely have chocolate milk. Oh, and get a child size toothbrush. I can still only open my mouth a little bit, and the small toothbrush is about all I can fit in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread