It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Amason27 HB User
Post gum inflammation/general tooth pain/allergy

I'll have to give some background here, so apologies for the length of this post.

I have three life-threatening allergies, all of which manifest as anaphylaxis and all of which are delayed after exposure by at least several hours. The first is to capsicum, the second to all steroidal medication and the third to a chemical called Phenol. This is not 'Chemical Sensitivity' as such, but a true allergy, according to my doctor. It happens (probably along with the other two) because I lack the liver enzyme to process the toxin, therefore the liver throws the substance back into my system tagged as an antigen. As such, whether I breathe the chemical or ingest it, the effect is the same.

Phenol (carbolic acid) is found in all synthetically-perfumed products as well as most disinfectants, antiseptics, gloss paint, waxes, petrol... and a very great number of dental products.

For many years, this allergy was not so serious, resulting 'only' in symptoms which were misdiagnosed as ME/CFS. I found the cause myself 4 years ago and returned to near-perfect health. A year ago, my dentist (who knew of my allergy) inserted a temporary filling full of Phenol and two of its derivatives into my mouth. 20 hours later, I nearly died. Since, the reaction to the chemical has become so much worse that I can't even spend an hour in the average house without becoming very sick; suffice to say, a dental surgery (or hospital) is now out of the question - especially since one of the automatic treatments for anaphylaxis is something to which I'm also terribly allergic...

I was always particularly good at keeping my 3-monthly dental/hygienist appointments because, for some years, I've had problems with gum disease and moderate periodontis. I keep my teeth scrupulously clean, brush alternately with bicarb and hydrogen peroxide, floss and inter-dental brush every day, etc. I take plenty of high-quality, absorbable Vit C. Every dentist I've seen has started off by telling me that gum disease is only ever caused by lack of oral hygiene and tooth staining only by heavy consumption of wine, cigarettes and coffee. I now live in the South of France, in the wine region; my last dentist had to pick her jaw from the floor when she saw the build-up one week after cleaning. I don't drink red wine, smoke or drink coffee... every dentist has agreed that I shouldn't have the gingivitis problem that I do. The one who nearly killed me did a great job of my gums beforehand... but unfortunately, one year on, the problem is reaching unlivable proportions again and has developed.

ATM, my entire mouth is inflamed, some of the gum line - directly above some teeth - appears whitish, whilst the familiar redness and red-hairlines have reappeared between teeth. I have a lump, which I think has only appeared in recent days, about half a centimetre above one of my front teeth. It's hard and non-circular and doesn't hurt in itself. Meanwhile, all my teeth feel as though they are about to simultaneously drop out; they hurt, as in sensitivity, but do not particularly react to heat, cold or pressure. To say this is driving me nuts would be a great understatement. And, of course, I am pretty much on my own with it.

I am pretty certain that this is caused by a(nother?) allergy, although any mention of this to a dentist has been poo-pooed, albeit that they can't come up with a better explanation. There is no genetic tendency towards gum disease at all. Or could it be that I'm reacting to the slow leaching of phenolics in old amalgam fillings (I have five, including a root canal)? Does anyone have any experience of similar problems? Could it be a bone infection and, if so, what can I do? And what of this odd lump? I'd be extremely, extremely grateful for any assistance or suggestions...

Regards

Alpha


[This message has been edited by Amason27 (edited 10-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Amason27 (edited 10-03-2003).]

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-02-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 24
carneb HB User
Post

Hi.... I just wanted to tell you I had my amalgam fillings (8 fillings)removed 1 year ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I don't know if it will help with all your problems but it is something you should think about.

 
Old 10-02-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Amason27 HB User
Post

Thanks for replying!

What problems did you have that the removal resolved? And what did you have them replaced with? I'm very keen to get rid of mine in any case, but it's not an option until either I can find a solution to the Phenol allergy or a dentist who can treat me in a safe environment

 
Old 10-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 24
carneb HB User
Post

Hi,
I had my fillings replaced with composite.
The symptoms I had which went away are depressions, panic attacks, anxiety, nightmares, night sweats, felling like getting electric shocks in my head, high iron blood levels, grinding teeth, and my thyroid is finally under control. I also stopped drinking diet soda and I don't have anymore problems with sensitive teeth and infected gums.
I guess my symptoms are different than yours but there are a lot of other symptoms connected to amalgam fillings and if I remember correctly allergies are one of them.
If I would be you I would try find a Doctor (which is probably not easy) to test you for heavy metal toxicity.

 
Old 10-03-2003, 05:08 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Amason27 HB User
Post

I have a really good GP now, thankfully, who fully consults with me about tests, etc., so it may be possible. I've been thinking purely of the phenol elements until now (a smidgen of phenol antiseptic, for example, on unbroken skin resulted in severe bruising lasting several days even before my 'accident', so I'm sure you follow my logic!) but I'm not terribly happy about mercury, etc., either...

Do you happen to know what composite fillings are made of? And might gold be a possible substitute if they are out for me?

It sounds like great news for you anyway - really amazing results. Have you read the studies linking aspartame with depression btw?

Thanks for replying again!


[This message has been edited by Amason27 (edited 10-03-2003).]

 
Old 10-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 24
carneb HB User
Post

I'm glad that you found a GP who is trying to help you!!!
I didn't want to mislead you in thinking that I knew anything about phenol which I don't. But after reading your post and reading that your liver can't process any toxins it just seems if you have any leaking amalgam fillings mercury or otherwise the burden on your body must be even greater since your body won't get rid of any toxins. Removing your fillings is probably not going to change your life but it is one less thing your body has to deal with.

I don't know what composites are made out of but there are test to find out if your body can tolerate certain materials.

Have you tried any cleansing? That might help

I hope you can feel better soon!!!!!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
bone infection after wisdom tooth extraction that punctured sinuses? candleinthewind Sinus Problems 2 12-02-2008 09:31 AM
Nerve Inflammation causing head pain??? CaribouMom Dental Health 2 06-19-2008 11:14 PM
osteomyelitis in cheek bone after wisdom tooth complication?? candleinthewind Bone Disorders 2 03-02-2008 07:15 PM
bad allergies, that cause inflammation, Watch out for dangers! miyu Allergies 3 09-10-2007 05:30 PM
Should general Dentist or oral surgeon do extraction ? lynnralphie Dental Health 4 07-30-2007 03:31 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Gellia (58), slenderella (25), janewhite1 (13), riptoff (13), Elizabetho (12), Sandybeech (11), Titchou (10), tanyasue (7), WW2ER (6), armywife2007 (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (857), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!