It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #1

kens4ever HB User
Thumbs up Very first root canal experience

Well, I had my first root canal today. I did alot of reading about the procedure so I would know what they would be doing to me. I read alot of input from people that have had them as well. I don't recall reading anything that was completely positive, so I thought I would post my comments for other fearful, or just plain curious, people to read.
My experience was a very good one, better than I expected. I had a top front tooth done and although the swelling was gone, there was still some sensitivity to the root area upon pushing against it. I wouldn't say I had pain, but it was sensitive even after a week and a half of clindomycin. I received the first injection of novacaine,then the Dr. asked me to tap on the tooth to see if it felt numb. I told him it felt about the same as it did before, so he gave me another shot, which I didn't feel by the way. He then proceeded with the root canal. About 20 minutes later he was done. I couldn't believe it! I winced once and that was with the very first shot. Other than that, I felt nothing. I think alot of the success of a root canal depends on the Dr. and how well numbed you are. But even after the shot wore off, I can't say that I really feel any pain. I haven't even had to take any ibuprofen, and I have a fairly low threshold for pain.
So if there are any of you scaredy cats out there reading this, rest assured that it really won't be nearly as bad as you think it will be. I still have at least 3 more to have done and I feel much more at ease about having them done and to be able to save my teeth. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
i am glad you had a good experience with your root canal. bedside manners do go a long way with dentists and so does being a good one. however, there are many reasons why root canal therapy is not a good choice, including infection that can enter bone, which is of course an extreme case - but not uncommon. How are you feeling now? Any sensitivity to hot/cold/touch?

Old 10-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #3

kens4ever HB User
I am feeling just fine. A little sensitivity to touch, but that's about it. There is still some redness where I had some swelling and there is still some tenderness to the root area as well as a puss pocket that has showed up twice now since the procedure. That kind of concerns me. When they xrayed my tooth, they couldn't really tell that there was an abcess, so they had to go by what I told them my symptoms were. I am wondering if there was more than just that one tooth affected. If it continues, I will definitely make them aware of it. Hopefully, it was just some redidual infection that he missed, but that doesn't sound very good to me either.
We'll see.
thanks for the reply though.

Old 10-05-2003, 04:52 AM   #4

TLinNIreland HB User
l too had a root canal done recently well actually l had 4 done in one day! I experienced no pain but l was just a little sore which is normal. It wasn't the teeth that were sore it was just the gums surrounding the teeth.
I thought l was seeing the end to all of this dental work l am having done but now one of the teeth he put a filling in is EXTREMELY sensitive. l mentioned this to him other day and he said that if by the next appointment it hasn't calmed down then he would have to do a root canal on that one! UGH another one! l am becoming an expert on these root canals! lol

I am glad you had a good experience with your root canal. They are really not all that bad! l think we psych ourselves up that it is going to be a horrible experience. l know l am not looking forward to having another one but what can l do? l have waited years to finally have this work done and l am not going to step back from it now!

All the Best!

Old 10-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #5

kens4ever HB User
Like you, TL, I waited years to have my dental work done. I have been getting more of the major stuff done first. I think I have only had two fillings through all this, and that was only because it was convenient as I was already numb. So I have a long way to go. I still have to have probably 3 more root canals, at least. Thus far I have had 3 teeth extracted, 2 of which my regular dentist performed (the 3rd was an impacted wisdom tooth), and I have been fit for a permanent 4 unit bridge for my top front. I am finally proud of my smile.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:30 AM   #6

tryingtofeelgood HB User
a puss pocket that has showed up twice now since the procedure. That kind of concerns me. When they xrayed my tooth, they couldn't really tell that there was an abcess, so they had to go by what I told them my symptoms were. I am wondering if there was more than just that one tooth affected. If it continues, I will definitely make them aware of it. Hopefully, it was just some redidual infection that he missed, but that doesn't sound very good to me either.

This is what concerns me about root canals. I had the same thing happen and your dentist SHOULD be VERY concerned! You need to be referred to an oral surgeon and get a second opinion with another oral surgeon before you do anything. Let them take a blood test to see if your white/red blood cells and SED rate show for infection. Your oral surgeon consultations should include discussion of removal of the abcess and what type of abcess it is, and the best treatment for this. An infection can turn into a nightmare if not treated correctly.

Hope you feel good and this helps!

Old 10-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #7

tryingtofeelgood HB User
TL your sensitivity could just be that - did he test to see which metals your body is compatible with? A lot of people cannot handle certain filling material. You may want to discuss this with your dentist. He should know. If not,get a second opinion.

HTH.

Old 10-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #8

unwell HB User
It's depressing to see people putting more mercury inside their mouths without knowing what a risk they're taking.

I ask anyone who is thinking of getting metal fillings or root canals done to research mercury amalgam poisoning fully on the internet. You're risking all sorts of illnesses buy putting that stuff in your head.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:00 AM   #9

TLinNIreland HB User
All of my dental work now is on the front teeth as l have no teeth in the back. l had surgery about 14 years ago to remove 17 teeth in the back part of my mouth. l have 6 teeth on top and 9 on the bottom now.

The one tooth that is sensitive had a filling but not mercury because it's one of the front teeth. The Dentist said that it concerns him because the tooth had a deep cavity and had not previously been that sensitive. So we will see what happens in the next couple of weeks. l go back to him on Oct 17th.

l am quite pleased with this dentist. The only pain l have experienced with him is the novicane! I wish someone would invent painless injection of the stuff! LOL

Like Kens4ever--l can't wait for the end result, a nice beautiful smile!

[This message has been edited by TLinNIreland (edited 10-06-2003).]

Closed Thread