It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #1

Whispering_pines40 HB User
Unhappy HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help. I have had my new dentures for a little over a week. After having to have them adjusted and smoothed out in areas (every day), I cannot eat. Nothing! The food gets stuck between my denture and my gum and I cannot get it out unless I stick my finger in there and pull it out. Real nice if I was in public. I really need suggestions on this. I am going to fly home in a month and I need to be able to eat something. I am to the desperate point. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I am sure that I am hoping for too much too soon, but I am not one who likes to wait too long. Thanks to anyone with ideas.

pines

Old 10-04-2003, 02:07 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Hi Pines,

While it wouldn't surprise me that you're having trouble eating after only a week with your new dentures I am a little surprised that food is getting under them so easily. After going the traditional route to get dentures they should fit over the gums well enough to keep all but the smallest food particles out. If they aren't fitting well you should tell your dentist. The other thing to consider is that your gums might still be sensitive to very small food particles between your gum and denture. Your gums may need more time to "toughen up". The first suggestion I have is to use adhesive (not the powder) to help seal the area between your gums and the denture. The second is to try a liner or cushion. I've never tried a cushion but I have had liners (Denturite). It might help fill any gaps between the denture and your gums. I hope these suggestions help. Good luck!

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2003, 08:06 PM   #3

Laura79 HB User
Lightbulb

Dear Pines-

I just came across your problem a few minutes ago, and thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have been a dental assistant for a while now, and I have seen your problem quite a few times. You said that you got your dentures a week ago? Did you get any teeth extracted to get these dentures? If so, it will take a while for your gums to get back into working order. If you didn't get any teeth pulled, and they are new dentures, your gums will still be tender and swollen, I.E. your dentures will not fit properly, and food gets caught under the denture.

I recommend trying fixadent to your dentures for a couple of days. If that doesn't help, you should go back to your dentist and have him/her do some adjusting/trimming to your denture. Also, ask for something called a soft reline. It is a soft coating that gets put into your denture that will help them naturally stick to the gum without using any adheasives.

Good Luck!! :0)

Old 10-06-2003, 05:06 AM   #4

Toothless Wonder HB User
Hi Pines

I'm surprised that having gone the traditional route you are having so many difficulties with the fit of your new dentures. I hope I am correct in assuming this. Your previous posting detailed having waited 5 months for your dentures(???) Sorry if I'm getting this wrong, hopefully you can set me straight if I misintepreted.

I waited little over three months post complete upper and lower extractions for my gums to heal before being fitted with dentures. In so doing I was advised I would ultimately have better fitting dentures and also a more cost effective option. The downside was being completely toothless for quite an extended period. Having have my dentures now for about three weeks I honestly am glad I went this route. My dentures fit perfectly and bar a few minor adjustments I have had a relatively smooth transition to dentures. I learnt by trial and error that there are some foods that are not denture friendly but I have either learnt to eat these differently or avoid them completely, i.e. grainy foods like sesame seeds or ground pepper, white bread that tends to stick to the top palate, bubblegum etc. Because my dentures fit so well very little actually gets under the plates to the point of being an irritant that I have to remove whatever is stuck under them. Where possible I rinse my dentures after every meal. I have never yet had the embarassing situation of having to jump up mid-meal to dislodge anything that may have gotten under my plates. Perhaps you should visit your dentist if you find this happening constantly. He may need to do a soft reline or any other adjustments. I have never yet found the need for any type of fixadent, but again I have been lucky in that my dentures fit so well that there is no need for them.

Pines, I really hope you get sorted and that you will soon be happy with your new teeth. Once all the "teething" problems are sorted I am sure, like me, you will find wearing dentures to be a positive experience.

All the very best
Charms

Closed Thread