Hi, I've just joined this board. I'm in the UK and I have been experiencing a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I recently had a new crown fitted but that was some weeks ago so I don't think it's that. I wear a partial upper denture and have taken it out but I still get that taste. Can anyone help on this please?
I used to be a dental assistant, and I can tell you that you probably have an infection due to your crown. It is not common, but it does happen. You need to go back to the dentist and have him to take a look at it. Most likely you will go on an anti-biotic and may need to get the crown adjusted.
Do you have any fillings, especially underneath that crown? Metal fillings can leak mercury and the metallic taste can be a symptom of this.
I can taste metal in the saliva around my largest filling and I show many of the symptoms of mercury poisoning.
You ought to research this as having mercury fillings can cause massive health problems that you might otherwise never consider being related to your teeth.
Your dentist won't be any help on such a matter.
Of course if your health is fine then you might be lucky and your mercury amalgam fillings might not be having an adverse effect on you. It's just that a metallic taste its a classic symptom of leaking fillings.
You'll probably get a blank stare from your dentist if you bring up this subject as they aren't taught about it. You might even be told the lie that they are safe.
Again, you might be lucky as many people are; but you might also be like me and be sensitive to mercury and you'll find no help at the doctors.
[Edited to remove website with advertising.]
[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 10-05-2003).]