It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
(male)

tomkay30 HB User
Question Pain and Root Canal

Hello everyone. I have been going to the dentist these past several weeks to get a few fillings done. Anyhow, there was one particular cavity that was pretty close to the root. The dentist decided that since there was no pain he would place a temporary filling on that tooth and wait to see if there was any pain in the futur.
Sure enough, a week later it started hurting like crazy. The pain was pretty intense and kept me up at nights. I had to bear the pain for over a week before I saw the doctor. He started the root canal Friday and gave me some penicillan but told me to take it only if there was swelling. While I can't say there is any swelling what I have experienced yesterday and today is pain around the upper cheek area close to my ear. Could this be an infection? I decided to take the penicillan yesterday just for a precaution. The strange thing is the tooth doesn't hurt when I touch it, the pain seems to be localized around the cheek/ear area. What do you think?

Old 10-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
it sounds like an infection to me. i suggest you go to an oral surgeon and have them look at the tooth/area. you could either, have a root canal - which will most likely cause more of an infection, or you can have the tooth extracted and debrided (cleaned out and scraped underneath) and get on antibiotics NOW(first of all- yes, good choice to start your Penicillin - not so smart dentist!) Infections hurt like h*ll! Do you feel the area to be "hot"?, do you see any swelling? Do you have any fever? Get some blood tests to check your white/red blood cell count and your SED rate. Don't take NO for an answer from anyone until your pain is gone

hth!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
(male)

tomkay30 HB User
Thanks for the response. I don't feel any swelling nor do I have a fever but it looks like it probably is an infection. I'm gonna go to my dentist tomorrow morning and see what he says. He will probably put me on some sort of antibiotic. Thanks again for the response.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User
welcome- please keep us posted. you may want to let the dentist check for abcesses around the tooth.

Closed Thread