It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #1

grrlwunder HB User
Unhappy I'm afraid of the IV

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed on the 8th. Of course I'm actually afraid of the whole process, but the IV scares me the most. Can anyone tell me what it's like so I know what to expect? Do you just pass out quick or is it a slow transition? How in the world do they know if you're out all the way? Do they give you local anesthesia too? If so, is it hard to breathe afterwards? I would appreciate any experience stories from post ops...

Old 10-06-2003, 03:59 PM   #2

marjson HB User
hi. you are in good hands. the iv is inbetween slow and fast. to you it may seem fast but to the dr.and assts. it takes a few minutes. it will be the same as if you were going to have blood taken. then they will give you something either called versed or valium which helps relax you. also they will give you a narcotic (usually something called fentanyl) and then you are pretty relaxed. when they are ready they will give you something either called brevital or propafol, it depends on which dr. you have and what he prefers. this is what puts you "to sleep" when you are in a deep sedation, then they will give you novacaine. then do the extractions. this whole procedure depending on how impacted you teeth are takes about an hour. then when you wake up you will go into the recovery room and when you are awake they will send you home. expect some bleeding and some discomfort this is normal. they will probably give you an antibiotic. and they will give a pain medication for sure. good luck and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask me. i have worked for an oral suregeon for 9 years so i have some experience. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/alien.gif

[Do not offer your email address. This is not permitted.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 10-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #3

Halruaa HB User
okay, i'll give you details on my extraction which took place on the 4th(saturday).

I was very nervous about the whole thing, and I opted for the sedation with the IV. I wasnt nervous though, ebcause i've had surgery before on my chest and I knew what the expect with the IV.

Anyways, I arrived at the oral surgery center at like 8am, they took me immediately, anyways I was sat down in the operating chair. A nurse came in, and put on some moniters for my heart and pulse I guess. Then she placed a tube-like device over my nose. I guess it was nitrous oxide? The surgeon came in, and prompty gave me the IV(he numbed the area first with another shot) in my arm. No pain whatsoever! Then I remmeber asking him questions like "so how long will this be?".

I woke up! I didnt even realize what had happened. I just woke up, and no one was in the room. Then the nurse came in, and unplugged all the moniter devices from me. And I went home. Its day 3 now, and honestly its great. Im in no pain whatsoever, so I dont need to take pain medication. The only problem is the swelling is keeping me from completely closing my jaw. You have nothing to worry about! Its not bad at all!

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM   #4

Halruaa HB User
Oh, lemme answer your other questions. You'll pass out quick. I didnt even know what happened, one second I was talking, the next I woke up. Honestly, im not usre how they know if you're out 'all the way', I've heard they usually make a small incision and if you react they give you more IV. Yes you will get a novacaine, I woke up with my entire face numb. Took about 8 hours to subside. Theres no problems in breathing afterwards, everyone was fine when I woke up. I actually wanted to go back to sleep! THat iv was the best sleep i've had in awhile!

Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 AM   #5

grrlwunder HB User
Smile

Wow - thanks for the info.....I'm not so scared anymore!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
(female)

pootle HB User
Hi grrlwunder,please dont worry about the I.V - I too had the same worries as you a couple of years ago when I had to have some extractions done and had opted to be sedated. I can honestly say that it was the best visit to the dentist that ive ever had. Once they had set up the I.V (which doesnt hurt) I remember laughing at something and then I woke up in recovery. It felt like I had been to sleep for awhile-I couldnt believe it had all been done so quick and stress free. I had no breathing difficulties at all and minimal discomfort.

Closed Thread