It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

kusum HB User
Dentures Vs. bridge vs. implants

Hello Everyone,
Hope you all are having great holidays..

I have a loose tooth owing to bone loss (upper right incisor).. It is loose but not bothering me in any way. However, it looks like it might fall off any time.

Due to genetic periodontitis, I have lost bone and it is impossible to have implants. My periodontist thinks I should just go for a partial denture since the adjacent teeth are not strong enough to support a bridge. However they can pull those week teeth out and make a bridge.

My oral surgeon suggested a new methodology where they can implant using jaw bone (as opposed to gum bone). This is from a company called imteck. They will have a small supporting structure fixed to my jaw bone over which the denture will be placed. Both the structure and the denture has to be kept clean thoroughly.

My aim is to have something that does not make me depend on dentists too much also that is least invasive. Daily maitenance is no problem.

Can anyone give me feedback on what they have now, what kind of maitenance is involved, what are the drawbacks and how invasive is the procedure?

Thanks
Kusum

Old 12-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Dentures Vs. bridge vs. implants

I have 6 implants, in my upper gum/bone. I'm not too familiar with what they want to do on you, as far as implants go. Is it not possible to do some bone grafting, to build the area up for a conventional implant? Primarily, be prepared for the cost and the time it takes to get it done. My dental work is taking a year plus. You might type in implants, into the search engine for Dental Problems specifically. Others have posted as well. The upkeep of my implants, which has been fitted with a removable bar overdenture $$$$$$$$ is fairly easy to care for. No harder than dealing with your natural teeth. As scary as it sounds to have implants placed in your bone, the surgery isn't so bad. I don't feel my implants at all and they are very sturdy. It's mostly hurt my bank account. Ouch....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

People in trailers want houses, people with dentures, want implants-LOL! I wish I could afford to do that..

Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

kusum HB User

Hi Wmkcolors,

Thanks for the reply. Bone grafting seems to be ruled out since I do not have any bone left. How much are these implants? Are we looking at >1000 per tooth?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkcolors
I have 6 implants, in my upper gum/bone. I'm not too familiar with what they want to do on you, as far as implants go. Is it not possible to do some bone grafting, to build the area up for a conventional implant? Primarily, be prepared for the cost and the time it takes to get it done. My dental work is taking a year plus. You might type in implants, into the search engine for Dental Problems specifically. Others have posted as well. The upkeep of my implants, which has been fitted with a removable bar overdenture $$$$$$$$ is fairly easy to care for. No harder than dealing with your natural teeth. As scary as it sounds to have implants placed in your bone, the surgery isn't so bad. I don't feel my implants at all and they are very sturdy. It's mostly hurt my bank account. Ouch....

Old 12-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Don't put yourself down, due to the sarcastic replies posted here, for wanting implants. Even if you have to take out a dental loan; etc., I'd consider implants as a healthy option. Each case is unique. I'm still very young and it was cost effective for me to do so. There is alot of info. on the web and I'd definitely have 2 consultations, since you have so much bone loss. Only have a reputable periodontist or oral surgeon, who has performed the procedure many times, work on your mouth. If this will improve the quality of your life, then, I'd pursue it. The implants range from $1000-1500 each, which doesn't include what will fit over those implants. Due to your loss of bone, it sounds like they want to implant a "plate" or only enough implants to attach a removable overdenture. Like I said, I've only had individual implants and had enough bone to work with. One person, a few months ago (AnitaK??? or something) had a very challenging case and recently just finished her year long implant adventure. Search this site for other posts on implants.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

wmkcolors-If you are referring to me, I was not being sarcastic-I really DO wish I could afford that-sounds neat..but unfortunatly, I DO live in a trailer (so to speak) and cannot afford that-BUT-it IS a good investment- go for it!! If you can- it will be WELL worth it in the long run! ANY DAY!!

Old 12-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #7
(female)

NOSMILEYET HB User

I also had implants placed and will be finishing my dental work the end of january.
This was very important for me and a large investment .I was able to save my front teeth and i am very happy with that decision. the surgery was not that bad .I had iv sedation and only needed two pain pills when i got home . good luck with your dental treatment .
Diane

Closed Thread